Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Your Best ever catch!!

Re: Your Best ever catch!!

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post

PS would have hated to clean all that large catch, Kingtin, must have taken you a while!
    Nigel, I was in the pub game at the time and would go fishing overnight on my day off (Tuesday) . I returned to work on a Wednesday lunchtime after a quick clean up, and having had no sleep. The fish would go with me and be laid out on the covered snooker table in the vaults for the customers to help themselves to. I just loved the thrill of fishing back then and never ate fish. The pub was also my local so in effect, I was simply feeding the neighbours and they were always good for a beer or two

Looking back, although I'm proud that I could catch when others wouldn't even venture out, I am ashamed of all the fish I took back then.

It's a funny mixed emotional feeling of how good things were (fish were prolific and neighbours helping each other out with a feed) bringing a smile to my face, and then, wiping the smile off my face, a realisation of just how much our (uneducated) actions back then, have contributed to the decline of the fisheries.

Things were sometimes a struggle back in the older days, and you just grabbed at anything that could better your life.........even if it was only a sackful of fish that you didn't really need

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

My best fish was a 8.5kg Fingermark @ 83cm, unfortunately i did not get a pic on the digital camera, but i have one of a 7.5 kg one @ 80cm.
    Marty.

Great story Kev, sincere thanks for sharing it.
    Being from very much working-class English parents, and living there (Fareham, Hants, it was actually very beautiful in parts in those days), during the late 50's and early 60's albeit as a child, I can appreciate your comments.
    My grandfather on my mothers side was a beachcomber after the war, apparently quite a few interesting, and lucrative, items washed ashore at times!
    Apologies for going off on a tangent, moorie 86!
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by nigelr View Post
    Great story Kev, sincere thanks for sharing it.
    Being from very much working-class English parents, and living there (Fareham, Hants, it was actually very beautiful in parts in those days), during the late 50's and early 60's albeit as a child, I can appreciate your comments.
    My grandfather on my mothers side was a beachcomber after the war, apparently quite a few interesting, and lucrative, items washed ashore at times!
    Apologies for going off on a tangent, moorie 86!
    Cheers.
    Thanks Nigel,

Yeah, the old beachcombing I made good money as a kid riddling the beach. I come from Blackpool and you can well imagine the thousands of folk sitting on the beach above the high tide mark. Early morning we'd go down with a spade and riddle (there'd be dozens of kids getting shooed by the adults) and just dig and riddle. Watches, rings, money...........watches were regular finds as they weren't waterproof back then and were taken off when you went for a swim.

The beach was literally swimming with goodies. Folk dropped allsorts when they were tanked up and went for a ride on the donkeys

Under the piers was good as the rides and amusements were above and any money that was dropped went through the cracks in the timbers. You had to be a tough nut to command a spot under the pier

Joined up at 15 and didn't return till I was 18 and was gobsmacked to see all these folk with headphones on waving these "hoover type" thingies above the sand..........not a riddle to be seen anywhere ..............Aaaah! The march of technology

Good fishing too.just look at the size of these flathead lays

kev

Last edited by kingtin; 10-05-2007 at 04:40 PM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

my most memorable catch would be a jack that went 59cm while fishing for sharks in nerang river

My 1st Jewie a few weeks back that came in @ 83cm & just under 5kg caught while fishing for flathead..

or this 35cm bream caught off a bad cast @ old pontoon..

The cobe on my Avitar was one of two caught ... almost at the same time. They both hooked up at the same time but my deckie and I agreed there was no way we could get them in at the same time, so I gave mine as much hurt I could possibly give it, leaving Alans to swim freely, hoping it would stay around for a while because they are a schooling fish, usually in pairs or small schools at this size. The plan worked, mine was into the boat in around 30 mins, but Alan took nearly another hour to get his in. Mine was 37KG cleaned, Alan's was 28KG. I had no room in the boat except at the back, which made the boat porpoise all the way home, having a good 60 ltrs fuel in the back tank + 65KG of fish. Both caught at 4 beacons Moreton BAy in November '98 with livies on floater rigs.

Scalem
    Last edited by Scalem; 10-05-2007 at 09:53 PM.

47kg Amberjack caught at wide Cal
    Avid supporter of Meals on Reels

2.85 kg school mackeral on 1 kg line at Arch Cliff reef Hervey Bay. Went through a box of hooks, a roll of wire trace, spool of leader material and got heaps of knot tieing experience. Not my biggest fish, not my longest fight, not my highest point scoring sportfish but a personal acheivement that I am proud of.

Jeff.
    Quality is still delivering long after you have forgotten the price.

my best ever catch, was alst year in august on a local river, and the sun got on te ater, the fish started feeding and I caught 'em , I had a 150 fish mixed bag, all released safely, they were mainly small fish but I had a 8lb chub in there, which was a special as it was a pb

My best catch would have to be a 130cm barra I got while fishing up north

without a doubt this fella is my best catch to date, allmost lost to a snag but I won the fight

this little black out of my 15ft tinny

or perhaps this one at 70 odd kilos and caught on 15lb mono from the lump sorry for the terrible photo i cant shrink it properly
    Last edited by thelump; 17-05-2007 at 02:51 PM.

Some great fish fellas.
    43kg for me ....day before the Bribie comp