Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minimum sized car to tow a tinnie...

Minimum sized car to tow a tinnie...

Been giving the green light to get myself a tinnie(yay!) - Only problem is that both our cars do not have tow balls I've got a holden ute with body kit(So putting a tow ball on it is going to be a mission), and the missus has a Lancer(Front wheel drv)....just wondering what the minimum sized car would be to realistically tow/launch etc a 12-15ft tinnie ?

Re: Minimum sized car to tow a tinnie...

My other half just sold her 2004 Lancer and that had a tow bar kit on it (dealer fitted), the maximum weight on the bar is 1000kg with 100kg down force.

The restriction is that the 1000kg needs to be braked and from memory the unbraked capacity is only 500kg. Only smaller open boats on trailers with light motors would be under this unbraked limit. Another possibility would be to option a braked trailer.

But if you can get a tow bar on the Holden ute (even if it requires modifying the body kit) then it would be without question a much better tow vehicle.

The only thing we ever towed behind the Lancer was a 6x4 trailer and it wasn't great even doing that.

the lancer should do it fine, providing you arent planning a round oz trip.
    The unbraked limit for trailers is 750kg's
    An old bloke u knew used to tow a cuddy cabin with a ford laser, so the lancer should tow the tinny no worries

i tow a 14ft fibreglass boat with a 50hp 4stroke on the back with my hyundai accent and dont have any worries so im sure you will be fine.
    cheers graeme

The Lancer should tow fine going by what youre buying.

Ya cant ruin the holden with a tow bar......LOL....not the holden ute.

Remember to give us some pics when you get your new woman........i mean boat..............

Mike

my only concern with the lancer would be on slippery or steep ramps being a front wheel drive. Might be a problem with traction at times?

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

My Wally the wagon (old Mazda 626 with 2.2 engine) tows the tinny no worries at all.
    We go everywhere. The tinny is only a 3.7 Edgtracker though.
    Down at the beach it tows the big boat (5m glass) and still no worries getting up the ramp. It struggles a bit though on the highway with the big boat.
    But it tows my brothers 15'er no worries on the highway.

So I reckon the size of the boat that you would be chasing would be very dependent upon the ease in which you would be prepared to travel.
    Do you want to tow comfortably or are you prepared to let the vehicle do some work??
    Don't forget to check the max. towing capacities of the car though because this is the limiting factor.

If you don't want to put a towbar on the ute...bung a fifth wheel setup in it and then you can go huge in boat size
    Last edited by finga; 23-04-2007 at 07:37 AM.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Yea but imagine the size of the 'tinnie' you could tow with the ute...

Aim high son, aim high!!

My tinnie is a Stacer 3.75 Proline with 15hp Mercury I have no trouble on ramps with 1.6lt Daewoo Lanos so you should be fine.
    Last edited by scuze a me; 23-04-2007 at 08:35 AM.

I tow my 4.6 Dory with my wifes Hyundai Lantra wagon.
    I have just finished putting a tow bar on my VW Baja which should also tow the 750 trailer.

Have a look on google you should be able find your lancer tow capacity.
    Also it might be in the handbook if you still have it.

As someone else has said if you go too heavy with the boat you might have trouble on a wet ramp.
    i just choose my ramps by the angles.

neil

I've used my sister's 1.5l Hyundai Excel to tow my Polycraft 4.1 punt with no troubles. And the poly's a heavy hull (265kg hull only) plus 30hp motor and all the stuff for a day's fishing. The little car towed it all really well, no worries on the ramp etc. The Lancer should have no worries depending on the size of the boat. There are some big 4.5 metre tinnies out there.
    Cheers mate

Thanks for all the replies - The Lancer is only a 1.5l...but should be ok for the tinnie I intend to get....hehe I would certainly love to be getting something larger, but for my first boat, I think I'll take little steps!

Quote Originally Posted by frankgrimes View Post
    Thanks for all the replies - The Lancer is only a 1.5l...but should be ok for the tinnie I intend to get....hehe I would certainly love to be getting something larger, but for my first boat, I think I'll take little steps!
    A very wise man
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Dragging up an old thread, but how has the Lancer performed draggin the tinnie? Thinking of putting one on my Lancer to tow my small boat. I'm sure there would be no problem. My boat is small and fairly light weight.

I,am sure the lancer will tow a 15ft tinny without much dramma, problem is now I want to see some pics of the ute with the body kit. I agree with others that ute will tow a BIG tinny. Polky.