Thread: What's a grinner?

What's a grinner?

Ok, showing my ignorance. I read reports from you Brisvegas fishos and often hear of 'grinners'. What's a grinner? Does it have teeth or spikes? Can it be used for bait either live or dead? Is it edible? What about for cat food? Mods if I've posted this in the wrong place just move it.
    Cheers

Re: What's a grinner?

http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...=108435&page=2

CHeck that link out. Scroll to the bottom post form BilgeBoy and you'll see a pic of a grinner. As i have said before, science has yet to find a usefull use for grinners

Mike

A friggin torpedo with teeth with a healthy appetite for placcies.
    http://www.amonline.net.au/FISHES/fi.../sgracilis.htm

Poodroo

Looks a bit like an alien - mouth full of teeth and ugly as all hell.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

Ugly thats what they are.
    I didn't think there was a use for them But on Monday i saw this old bloke catching some serious bream near Donnybrook with them while i was catching nothin on yabs.

neil

Ugly little devils with a mouth full of teeth and an appetite for anything. Caught one once that swallowed a whole pilly and four gang hooks. Best thing for these critters is a pair of multi grips, get your hook back and get em overboard.

Ronnie

That sure is ugly. Looks like it would be good slab bait though. Maybe even a livie hooked through the bottom lip to the top.

Once bought a 10kg box of bait from a trawler fellow I knew. It was full of Grinners. Took some of them to the reef for trout bait. Couldn't get a bite on them. Borrowed the missus meat grinder and minced the lot adding a good dose of Tuna oil and a couple kg of older pillys. Made a terrific berley for macks and the gar love it. cheers baldy

One of the best baits you can use in the bay
    It's all part of the fishing experience

Don't worry about the teeth - they're pretty soft.

I just reach my fingers into the mouth to retrieve my hook, and I don't have calloused fingers either.

They do have a purpose for existence - If they weren't there, I'd have nothing to catch.

Oh, by the way - I thought their name was actually " bloody grinner " even though they're brown, not red.

Ausfish Bronze Member

Some very good info on Grinners can be found in "Grants Guide to Fishes" page 132 (9th edition). Grinners are fully acceptable as food fish having white meat. They are firmly "held together" and make great bait for trolling at high speed as they will stay together. They grow to 22 inches in length, some to only 18 inches. I have used them as bait and they were very good. Never tried them as tucker 'cos they are a bit too skinney.

Eagle

Mongrel Fish that ruin your mono traces!!!!!!!!!

Going to take a fillet off the next one i catch and put it out to test them as bait...reckon they have to be good for something...

Last time i used one of them as bait i caught...another grinner
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

Sure are ugly little buggers that's for sure...