Thread: Big Stabicraft

Big Stabicraft

After anyone out there in cyberspace that owns a big current to 1/2 yr old stabicraft. Somthing like the new 609SC or 659SC, how do these things handle offshore? How do they perform in 2m of swell and 10 -15 knots of chop ? Im asking as Im looking to upgrade the ride soon from a 529 frontier and knowing the capabilities of this boat Im very interested in the bigger models. One problem i see with the bigger models is that the front of these boat although 20 degree deadrise are not sharp at all when compared to something like a fisher etc.
    thanks
    Sean

Re: Big Stabicraft

Member Kevpun has a 659sc. (appears to be banned but??)

He is still active on that other site (under the same id)

sweet thanks mate

Sick of getting wet hey vert ... i know the feeling. Some days open boats give ya the s$!ts .

Heres a question for you, do you think that you would be just as safe in a deep v like a noble or a fisher... i think so. I also think you would have more fishing room etc. Just a thought.

Jas

here's part of report i read in a complimentary 'trailerboat fisherman' mag.

any boat that can be fully flooded and still start the engine makes me warm.

stabi report
    Last edited by aido; 16-04-2007 at 01:41 PM.

I have a 609XR and it eats those conditions outside. I still get sick when it stops though.

The only time I have been disapointed in the performance is in a 25+knott breeze in the bay. In these conditions you have to sit on 12-15 knotts to be comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by aido View Post
    any boat that can be fully flooded and still start the engine makes me warm.

stabi report

Are the batteries and electrics stowed above the gunnel height? I think not!! But i bet they were for the Demo/photo shoot . Is this another rediculous stupid claim by a boat manufacturer

Ian

My thoughts on this, I doubt if I could ever be convinced to buy one, simply because they are so ugly that they could never perform good enough to over come their looks! sorry to all the owners out there, but to each his own I guess.

yerh getting wet can be a pain, but id like to know i get home quickly in most conditions safely. Im not really keen on the stabi cos of the sharpness of the hull. I wonder if someone can show me how they really go in 20 knots ontop of 2m swells. not for the faint hearted.
    sean

Quote Originally Posted by finding_time View Post
    Are the batteries and electrics stowed above the gunnel height? I think not!! But i bet they were for the Demo/photo shoot . Is this another rediculous stupid claim by a boat manufacturer

Ian
    my stabi was completely fitted out with motor and electrics for it's swamp test.
    it was controlled conditions in a marina, 600kg of sand bags, 2 blokes, bungs out and water pumped inside until it ran out the transom door. the battery storage is above the transom step, and electric wiring under top of gunnel.

last couple of trips offshore from pt lookout, good friday and last sunday there was still about 1.5m+ swell with a 0.5m sea on top, we managed 21kts at 4000rpm no worries. came home with a 15-20 kt SE'er on good friday. I'd rather push it offshore than in the bay, where it can bang in the wrong conditions.

id love to do a trip with yah gelsec, see how they handle
    thanks

no worries vertico, maybe a weekday in the next few weeks, I'm often looking for crew weekdays. the 589 isn't as big as the ones you're considering, but still very capable.

Dont be a wisher Sean - you know which one to get