Thread: Tiger Prawn habitat ?

Tiger Prawn habitat ?

Q regarding Tiger prawns was asked of me last night but i really dont know the answer.

Do Tiger prawns spend time in fresh or brackish waters ? If so when does this occur and for how long- do the juviniles spend longer in brackish or fresh waters then move out to open water when they are at mature size then move back into breed?

I have a freind who has started up some breeding ponds in New Britian , they are looking at local stock collection but appear to be struggling in getting Tigers in the area. They imported breeders from Papua and i am told they are going great guns. Not sure why he didnt look into this first but obviously has potential.

Any feed back would be great.

Mick

Re: Tiger Prawn habitat ?

i dont know if they go into brackish water , but i have never caught one in a creek . I worked on a trawler for a while and we always seemed to get the tiger prawns around rocky bottom . Wouldnt it be to cold in britan for tiger prawns ?

Re: Tiger Prawn habitat ?

From memory i have caught a handfull but possibly they were smaller leader prawns in brackish water, thanks anyway. Not Britian but New Britian the country of the large Black Bass of New Guinea and Island linking to the Solomans and archipeligoes that were cause of the recent Tsunami scare. They are there but they can not seem to locate them in the esturies, they do get the bigger freshwater prawn that we also get here in Oz.
    You couldnt say it was overfished either as Trawlers dont normally go into these river systems that i am aware of. There is alot of thermal activaty in the region that could have something to do with it?

Regards Mick