Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bull Sharks?

Thumbs down Bull Sharks?

The western part of Morton Bat seems to be filthy with bull sharks this year. I assume the 3-4 foot bulls are good to eat. Anyone tried them and are they the same as most sharks to eat?

Cheers
    John

Re: Bull Sharks?

I go shark fishing regularly in the logan river and have eaten all the sharks that i have caught out of there, i catch them in the brackish water and its pretty muddy.
    They are pretty average on taste unless you cook them with other stuff, i'm guessing that sharks from clean salty water would taste good, are an easy feed and alot of fun to catch. If your interested in rigs or baits to use for them just ask.
    Hope this helps.
    cheers
    B.kennedy

Ive never eaten them myself but ive heard they taste great.

Pretty average on the plate. Which is a shame bcause they are everywhere here at the moment. They are causing havoc with eating hooked fish around this area. Some of the local lads are having a bit of fun with them though. They seem to be getting thicker every year for some reason. cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbi View Post
    Pretty average on the plate. Which is a shame bcause they are everywhere here at the moment. They are causing havoc with eating hooked fish around this area. Some of the local lads are having a bit of fun with them though. They seem to be getting thicker every year for some reason. cheers.

Ya that is what I thought. I seem to be hooking them any time I bottom bash.

Seems to only be bulls as the other type haven't seemed to explode in numbers. Must be a lot of food available. Also noted many are very small ie 1.5-3 foot which makes me think we will have a real problem in Morton Bay next year.

Cheers
    John

I've caught a few in Morteon bay and they tasted fine in either floured or in a curry. What do you think flake is at a fish and chip shop. I don't keep anything over 4ft as these are easy to handle in a small tinnie.

I like to use 6/0 circle hooks because it pins them in the corner of the mouth.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

They are rampant this time of year around here, as are dusky whalers. some big girls too.

cuzza

I caught this 75cm specimen yesterday at the moggill reach of the brissy river if u ask me there not worth the hassel when it cums to gutting them cleaning them filleting them skinning them but they are good fun to catch.
    Ps this one took a whole 25cm live mullet.

They sure are a pain when they start taking hooked fish. I agree with with jpart10, not worth eating but good for crab bait.

you dont know wat ur talking about they are beautiful in batter and then fried but dont keep any over 4 foot as they have mercury and they dont taste as good

Each to their own I reckon, living in North Queensland I have aquired a taste for Coral Trout and Nannigai so will stick to the reds for now and let the sharks live another day.
    As kids we used to catch sharks to put in our crab pots, don't know if it was the smell or what but the muddies loved em.

ita a shark !! what do you think it will task l like coral trout ?

Like I said, IMO they make good crab bait. In saying that I am sure there are plenty of people who enjoy eating flake, but I reckon there are just as many who don't see the point in killing something that is of poor eating quality, especially if there is quality fish around.

I also catch bullies in the logan.Have tried a couple of times to eat them but to me they taste really bad.Thats not to say that in cleaner water they do though.Only one way to find out for yourself,kill one and eat it.

Try freezing the fillets before thawing and cooking, I think you will find this improves them. Don't know why though.