Thread: fishing the weed

fishing the weed

There was a bit of weed last week end up the north coast and I was wondering is there a technique for fishing this stuff. I usually try for a bit but if you leave the line out for any length of time too much of the stuff gets on and jams in the runners. I have on the odd occasion caught some decent fish in weed but usually don't hang around long enough to keep trying.

Re: fishing the weed

When there's weed in the surf there is only one thing to do - go somewhere else. It's not worth the effort of clearing the blocked tip runner about ten times during every retrieve in my opinion. Fortunately the weed is usually a summer thing so we should be right for the next 6 months. If you're boating and there's weed in the water then fish on the drift and you'll avoid most of it
    Cheers Freeeedom

thanks freedom. I usually go and sink a few but the water keeps attractingme. And then if your on fraser for a week, it's a crying shame not to spend any time fishing, and I have known the weed to last well into late May. Have heard there are a couple of fishos that can successfully fish the weed but haven't run across any of them yet.

sam

Yeah - it's a real bummer to be stuck on Fraser for a week and never take your rods off the 4WD because of the weed in the surf. It's only happened to me once and that year the surf was black with weed for the entire length of the island. We headed across the island and fished the inside creeks and channels just to get some fish.
    Cheers Freeeedom

You need to dry it out a bit before you can smoke it.....

apparantly at Jones Tackle there was supposed to be a talk on this subject last month but I didn't make it due to family commitments - was hoping to pick something up.

Freeeedom - usually go across the other side to wathumba and get some real good bream and flatties. I was thinking about the comp coming up in may. With the warm water temps we have been having I'm sure that the weed will come this year and wathumba is a banned area for the comp.

Might be a bit too far from the comp but there's a road goes straight across the island from Dilli village to a location (which might be called Buff Creek - I'm not sure of that). It used to be a loading point for the mineral sands when mining was still going on - Dilli village is the accommodation built for the sand mining staff. There are rocks, deep water, and old ramp and some old jetty remains (which might be gone now), plus good yabbies if you need fresh bait. The site gives both estuarine species over the flats and reef species around the rocks. Just take plenty of aerogard!!!
    Cheers Freeeedom

thanks Freeeedom, remember the place from the old days in the army reserve as we used to camp around there 30 years ago. Must visit, maybe not for the comp but next trip after that.

Hi mate

I know what you mean, i was up there while there was weed in the gutters. I just put up with it if it is not too bad. but when really bad, we just don't fish.

I guess you could put on a bobby cork.

cheers

rockfisho