Thread: Bay Tuna rig

Talking Bay Tuna rig

What is a good rig, rod & reel for chasing Tuna in Morton Bay. I don't want to give them a sporting chance-just catch the buggers.

Cheers
    John

Re: Bay Tuna rig

Hey John

How much do you want to spend? I take it you are after Longtail etc

Cheers

Neil

G'day Neil

Little as possible, around the $200-$400 mark. Nothing fancy. Would use a hammer but the buggers are a bit shy at the moment.

Cheers
    John

If you want something simple mate get yourself a 10-15kg ugly stick...7ft
    and a shimano tss4....That outfit will fall into the price range quite nicely and is a reasonable outfit for throwing slugs at them.....If thats you wanna do.

Cheers
    Pete

Thanks Pete

Was thinking more in the line of the TLD20 or 25. For trolling & casting. I have an AX6000 on a boat pole & a PENN 7000 on a 7' pole, but want to bash them not play with them.

As you can gather subility is not my strong suite.

Cheers
    John

I usually use a spin reel like the TSS4 but if you are after something to knock them over on livebait then the TLD's (20 or 25) will do the job.

Neil

Ok to start with you cant really cast a tld much thurther than 10 metres. Are you after longtail or mack tuna or both. You'll hook more fish on light gear with smaller slugs. symetre 4000 with 15lb braid and the 7'6 5-8kg starlo stick is perfect for 20-40 gram slugs, this set up is suitable for longies up to about 15kg before the fight time starts to get a bit stupid. You'll outcast an ugly stick tss4 combo by an easy 20-30 metres but if you treat the rod like sh!t than expect it to come back in pieces. Should come in around 300-330 bucks depending on braid you get.

Thanks Guys

Took it all in and went and bought a Tyrnos 20 to use with my Shimano 10-24kg boat pole.

When I'm not trolling, I'll give the sharks a run for their money. Tried of the bust-off with the bulls.

Moved the AX to a 7' rod and I'll restring it for flicking at the Tuna when not trolling.

Cheers
    John

Penn Powerstick with TSS4. I'd load it with 25-30lb Fireline or Braid and a 50lb mono leader. You could try slugs (Sliders); Trolling or Poppers.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter