Thread: Cape Upstart & Abbot Bay

Cape Upstart & Abbot Bay

Hi all you northerners,
    A mate of mine(not an ausfisher, that's why I'm asking) is going to the Cape Upstart & Abbot Bay area very soon for a short stay. I would like to know if anyone would be willing to PM me some good tips and hopefully waypoints for reef fishing, will be very discrete and it is only a one off trip. If you are ever down the Sunny Coast way I will be able to point you in the direction of the good gear. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: Cape Upstart & Abbot Bay

Snapperbug,
    Suggest he drop into a local tackle shop and get a GBRMPA Zone map as there are a lot of "no fish" areas around Cape Upstart. See this link
    http://www.gbrmpa.gov.au/__data/asse...274/mpz_09.pdf

Snapper,
    I would suggest he heads a bit further north to the Burdekin area. One suggestion is launch from Wallaces Creek (turn off highway at Inkerman store and follow the only road) and fish the Wunjunga area for everything. This system links up with Groper Creek which is also a brilliant fishing system, and has a camping area as well. Be mindful of the tides as these creeks get shallow, and it's not the sort of area you want to spend too much time pushing the boat. He'll also be able to head to Cape Upstart across Upstart Bay for some more great fishing.

If your mate heads to Ayr and launches at Ocean Creek he can easily fish the Alva Beach Shoals for spaniards and a pick of bottom fish including big grunter. This area is very exposed, and weather dependent. If he has a big enough boat, the reef is only about 20nm offshore. If he wants to do some diving, the Yongala wreck (a green zone for fishing) is not too far away.

Hope this helps mate.

Watch out for rough waves IMO. I dont even like to go out the front of the cape on a calm day. Launch your boat from Molongle rather than the the Burdekin creeks mentioned IMO.
    Last edited by nail; 15-04-2007 at 09:46 AM.

hi snapper bug dont now what size boat hes going in but ill guess a 4 to 5 mtr if you want to camp and fish abbot point area the elliot is the closest turn off just before elliot river bridge no sign it puts you at front to camp island about a k out big spanish mac area theres also small reef around there also covers a fair area about two thirds to the ship loader also another good rod bender site if the weather is a bit choppy good mangrove jacks in the creeks there also . if the weather is crapy (not another bloody high) go from molongle creek need about 1.5 mtrs (bloody greenies wont let it be dug ) fish creeks at back of cape

just come back from 3 weeks in bowen. windy up there at the moment. upstart bay is fresh at the moment. nailed some good muddies in wallaces & groper creeks. have some bowen marks if you PM me. lots of green zoneup there so get a zone chart.

BigE