Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PATROL 4.2 litre engine?

PATROL 4.2 litre engine?

Just a query what are the 4.2 litre petrol engines in the older partrols like 1990-1995. Any information would be great. Do the tend to drink alot of fuel? i do no the older landcruiser petrol engines like the 2f im pretty sure tended to drink alot of fuel are the patrol engines the same?

cheers dave

Re: PATROL 4.2 litre engine?

Oh yeah there a thirsty Beast, but when you consider how be brother drove his 190 kph and plenty of sand work, I guess you can under stand why.

But they can't be that bad he keeps up dating to newer ones, either that or he's got plenty of money.

Hi Dave
    Agree with RAG
    The petrol 4.2 has heaps of power and as such uses fuel

It was for this reason I bought the 4.2 diesel and turboed it
    Fuel use is 11 to 12 lt /100km at 100 to 105 kph and about 18 l / 100 towing about 2.5 tonne. By the way, the tubo didnt really affect the fuel use, I just got heaps more (40%) power and tourque and a patrol that drove a lot more like a petrol one.

I think you hit the nail on the head in your earlier assessment ie Patrol or LC with that size petrol motor have the potential use fuel unless you nurse it and even then they will. Your question has to be how far will I travel and is the extra fuel going to be totally unacceptable vs get a diesel

Happy hunting

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

DRINK?
    Like a Viking on shore leave.

yer i thought most likely would be a guseler, the 4.2 desiel is deffently the better option as for now im looking at a 75 series landcruiser. thanks for the feedback

cheers dave

My (gu) 4.2 turbo diesel got about 500 k's per 80 litre tank and was slow as hell (even after i boosted it to 12 psi). My dads standard 3.0 hilux turbo diesel flogged it. Toyotas make way more power and i was looking at about $4500 to upgrade the 4.2 for not much more power (compaired to my old 75 series 4.5 litre petrol). That included water to air intercooler, 3 inch mandrel bend exhaust, and turbo upgrade. They estemated it to almost 30% more but. It wasnt worth it....
    BD

Hi BD

For what its worth when I fitted my turbo to my 4.2 GQ years ago the diesel guy who tuned the injector pump etc was adament that for durability and long engine life the boost not be more than 7 to 8 psi. Thats where I have left it and (touching wood) have had no hassels at all. As you would agree the 4.2, even with turbo) isn't a motor to try and set speed record or 5 sec to 100kph but it will give a nice relaxed road trip.

Did you get advice re motor life with the 12 psi or I wonder if they have changed the 4.2 between the GQ and GU?

Cheers

Chimo

I got pretty god engine life from my last Turbo, 385 thousand Km's not bad for a 1.8 4 Cyl, Think the key is engine oil change every 5000 Km, and do the oil filter at the same time.

Just used ordinary 20/50 oil in Havalene, or BP visco.
    Penrite and Valvolene fell straight out of it.

Best let the Turbo spool down before you shut it off as well.

Hi RAG

Quote Originally Posted by Roughasguts View Post
    I got pretty god engine life from my last Turbo, 385 thousand Km's not bad for a 1.8 4 Cyl, Think the key is engine oil change every 5000 Km, and do the oil filter at the same time.

Just used ordinary 20/50 oil in Havalene, or BP visco.
    Penrite and Valvolene fell straight out of it.

Best let the Turbo spool down before you shut it off as well.
    I agree and use a 1 3 or 5 min timer (never less than 1 min idle down) and an oil cooler and do change oil and filters every 5000. Been using Shell Myrina L for years and it too seems ok. What do you mean about the penrite and vavlolene? Your comment "fell straight out" is too technical for this GOM

Cheers
    Chimo

Hey Chimo,
    Na wasnt really concerned about engine life with my 4.2TD. And yes its exactly the same motor from gq to gu. Turboing a standard diesel is always going to be faster and better than a factory turbo diesel engine. (dont ask me why but they just go much harder) But i still cant get over how slow it was... So that engine had to go... Gave some guy from western australia a really good deal on it. Only had 70 000 k's on it.

I have a new kitten under the bonnet now . And for what its worth to everyone Its a worked (australian) GEN 3 in a gu patrol. First 1 in australia. And even a big non aero dynamic, heavy gu patrol. Its getting 600 k's to an 80 litre tank (highway driving). (same as my 4.2TD) only much much faster . It has only 600 k's on the clock. So it will get faster and better feul economy when its run in.
    270 bhp. 1350 nm

Im taking it to the next drags after its run in! If anyone wants to bring their 4x4's to the test and tune just to see how they go, message me. Your more than welcome to come have a beer and laugh.

Hi Chimo, yeah fell straight out not exactly discriptive was it.

The Valvolene, and Penrite, lost 1 litre in 700 Km, no smoke no leaks, just disapeared. And that was at 140,000 Km, so not a real worn engine.
    Seemed like the oil had no substance.

Towards the engines last days, well valves last days slowly eating out, (bloody lead substitude crap fuel) it was using 250ml in 1000, Kms.

Ben, nice offer mate but me 3.0 litre Paj, can hardly drag my arse, out the driveway.

Oh cmon Roughasguts you know you want to... We can have a race towing our boats aswell . But I have to have a good truck because I only have a 4.9 metre sports zodiac... . It only weighs 80 kg's. But that also has a 40hp on the back of it.

(sometimes when guys are launching their massive million dollar boats, I just pretend like its my tender taking me out to my massive boat aswell) . Then when they are not looking I change course and open it up straight through the bar and out into the blue wonder...
    1DAY....

But i get my own when i come back with fish and they dont.

BD

Yeah Ben, I am tempted, she needs a good thrashing wouldn't mind knowing what she does top end in a straight line with no bumps or bends.

Anyone know what a 3.0 NJ 5 speed Paj, does full rattle. ?

Only ever had her to 130Kph. I don't actually trust it, even at that speed with out the kids, think me boat handles better in a 3 foot chop.

your not trying hard enough rough as guts