Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak wanna-be

Kayak wanna-be

been thinking of buying a little plastic kayak to fish with when time doesn't permit all of the prep and fuss of putting the boat in, and to get a different angle in some of the local lakes.

just wondering how many guys out there in ausfish land fish from one and if they have any tips for a novice beginner. I will be throwing small plastics and hardbodies off it.

Re: Kayak wanna-be

plenty on display at the tinny show, have a look tomorrow.

Mike

Hey
    I use my kayak for flicking lures for bream and while its not as comfy as fishing from a breaming boat.. it does its job. have fished in some canals and caught a few fish but found it hard to fish while the current is pushing you.

I took my Viking Tempo fisherman out for its first run this morning. 3 hours of paddling and my shoulders are killing me but I loved it. Imagine how good it could have been if I actually caught something

I thoroughly recommend checking out www.akff.net. Check out the rigged kayaks and you should find what your looking for. Once you buy the kayak, thats only half the fun, expect to do some customisation like putting in a sounder, extra rod holders, paddle/rod leashes and making a trolley to carry the kayak with.

Cheers

greg, pm sent mate

I've been thinking the same thing and went to join akff. They said my email had been banned:O I don't know why??? I've never been on the site before or done anything wrong (that I know of) That tempo kayak looks great, I'm thinking of saving up for the full electric motor and rudder set-up, looks a treat!
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

I use my kayak to target the likes of flattys, tailor etc inshore and when I get the chance to go off shore I target Sweetip, Snapper and Macks. I use a Perception Swing. I have a spare kayak (wife does not kayak as often as I do) - if you'd like to try one out.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

I thought about a kayak but the initial cost has turned me off what im thinking of getting now is a flat bottomed punt to say 12ft with a little petrol or electic on it

and when the water gets to shallow just paddle it as they are still very light

aswell as not costing as much for hull although motor can get you

this would be good for all still water fishing

Talking Re: Kayak wanna-be

I fail to see how kayak fishing can be expensive.

When you add up the cost of a boat, trailer, rego, insurance, maintainance, fuel - you are talking some serious $$$$

With a kayak - you can get a estuary fishing kayak + PFD for about $1,800.

No trailer required
    No rego
    No insurance (goes on household insurance)
    No maintainance
    No fuel

So $1,800 will get you a good set up + extras. I paddle out across bars to get to reefs and some good hot spots. The furthest I have personally paddled is 52 kilometers in one 7 hour session. A kayak fisho could easily target Macks, Tuna and Tailor without any real drama.

Even with all the accessories (sounder, lights, safety gear, trolley) you could seriously want I doubt you'd be paying more than $4,000 for a kayak.

hi if you want to find out more on yak fishing give milan at pro catch a call he knows his stuff and all so sells them

Ausfish Bronze Member

Definitely check out the Aust. Kayak and fishing website. If you scroll down on this part you will find the story of a trip I went on to Iron Pot at Yeppoon.
    http://www.akff.net/forum/index.php
    I have caught many great mackeral, huge flathead, bream, whiting, rays, trevally, Ox-eyes, triple tail and many more from my 16' kayak/canoe. I have been out over a mile with it in open water and chased barra in some of the creeks around Yeppoon with it. Check them all out on AKFF and you wont be disapointed, not ever when you use one.
    Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
    I fail to see how kayak fishing can be expensive.

When you add up the cost of a boat, trailer, rego, insurance, maintainance, fuel - you are talking some serious $$$$

With a kayak - you can get a estuary fishing kayak + PFD for about $1,800.

No trailer required
    No rego
    No insurance (goes on household insurance)
    No maintainance
    No fuel

So $1,800 will get you a good set up + extras. I paddle out across bars to get to reefs and some good hot spots. The furthest I have personally paddled is 52 kilometers in one 7 hour session. A kayak fisho could easily target Macks, Tuna and Tailor without any real drama.

Even with all the accessories (sounder, lights, safety gear, trolley) you could seriously want I doubt you'd be paying more than $4,000 for a kayak.

that is true but i was thinking a 12foot punt (car topper) with a little 4 hp which rules out the need for registration and a trailer if you have a ute or roof racks

the motor on it although not alot of power saves energy for casting

but i appreciate your response

as for insurance i dont really beleive in it
    cause most times people wont claim cause it wrecks their rating and if its really bad you can go on today tonight and get handouts

I mostly troll lures whilst paddling around or float baits & use SPs.

Quote Originally Posted by oztrav View Post
    as for insurance i dont really beleive in it
    cause most times people wont claim cause it wrecks their rating and if its really bad you can go on today tonight and get handouts
    Geez I hope that was a joke. Just assuming you can rely on the charity of generous people is no way to go through life.
    Joel
    Fishing for the thrill, not for the kill

I made the plung a while ago and got one. So far I'm enjoying the experience with a big plus of slowly raising my fitness level while reducing my waist line. The other big plus is the amount of fish you see with out scaring them.