Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kayak wanna-be

Re: Kayak wanna-be

hi donnan i fish out of my yak at night more often than i do during the day, i dont surf launch at night but everything else is fair game. Fishing for bream and snapper is generally more productive at night in the areas i fish, I can be well lit up if i want but generally as i fish the shallows there is no boat tr6affic as close in as i am.

Hi John, been a while since I last looked at this thread. My project is done and I got a small leccy motor to go with it, so the weight balance is quite good. I have been out a coupla times. Where do you go ?
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

sunken wall and lotsa spots in the river up as far as brekky creek and then hayes inlet and scotts point all the way up to scarborough and the esturine systems around nthn nsw

fishing at night from a kayak.......Enjoy, I don't care what fish you catch you can have them all to yourself!!

I use to know this young bloke that hunted tuna from his kayak, and he was towed around like a rag doll. He would just paddle out to where the fish were working and just get into them. 16 I think he was, and hey! It was me. hehehe. It can be done! You just need to balance real well.

Minno

greg pm sent mate
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

Likewise I used to train with a young bloke when I was a lad & his father fished from a canoe using hand lines, and I tell ya some mornings his panel van had 3 or 4 decent sized mulloway in the back, and they were bigguns.

Not a lot of sport in it, being dragged around but you get that.
    If men are from Mars, and women are from Venus, politicians must be from uranus ?

bought myself a yak about 2 months back Havnt been able to go out on it yet, but really looking forward to it

Fair enough, dont know if i would try it but talk about stealth mode for big snaps round the islands!!

Donnan

So if you were 6 foot 5 and 115 kilos, what kayak would you recomend?

I had done alot of land fishing around my local creeks, but didn't catch my first bream on a plastic until i invested in a kayak.

Cheers

Kid

Quote Originally Posted by omulloway View Post
    So if you were 6 foot 5 and 115 kilos, what kayak would you recomend?
    Most of the good quality yak's will be able to handle this. To give you some models look at:

Various Hobies
    Ocean Kayak Prowler elite 4.5m or P13
    Viking Tempo or Predator (there is supposedly a hybrid of these coming out in the next month which could be very interesting to see)
    Perception Swing

As previously mentioned on this thread www.akff.net is the premier site for kayak fishing questions & you can look up the Beginners questions or Which kayak for me forum threads where you will find your exact same question dozens of times.

Cheers

Lazy
    Last edited by Lazybugger; 24-08-2007 at 04:15 PM.

The benefits of kayak fishing are stealth (you dont make any noise), your able to troll at dead slow (have been able to catch squire, taylor and cod around Redcliffe using hard bodies), you can fish very lightly as the fish will tow the kayak and take all the pressure off your gear (I usually fish 6-8lbs in the bay), able to go in very shallow water (4" is all you need), fish right beside rocks and oyster leases, if you snag your lure or a fish goes into a snag you can paddle right in and retrieve it and its cheap (no fuel, rego or maintenance costs)

I've fished at night out from redcliffe and gone out in 15-20kt winds, they are very safe and stable.

As lazybugger said check out the AKFF forum and see blokes land Spanish mackerel, tuna, cobia, amberjack and other big fish.
    Last edited by ar-we-ther-yet; 24-08-2007 at 05:13 PM.

I have had my kayak for 10-12 years now, I don't use it a lot but its always there under the house when I want it. Mine is a sit in one and I don't get wet in it. Not built for outside fishing, though I have taken it out. It's a 10' sprite made in NZ. I would recoment kayak/canoe fishing to anyone, sure is a no fuss way of fishing.
    Here is pic of a 19kg jew I caught a while back. There wasn't much room left after I got him in with me.
    Regards Wayne

Nice little yak there Wayne. SIKs would be great as ya dont get wet, but they get a bit difficult to fit out, and can limit versatility.