Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nav Lights

Re: Nav Lights

I think there is no excuse not to have lights. I have those battery operated lights on my tinny, they take a D cell each and cost me $10 from Wynnum marine and installed in 5 minutes. I lost one (they should be ties in incase they pop out over rough chop ) , so have a multi LED light for that side.

Thanks heaps for letting me know. Of course I want to be doing the right thing as I take my boating and fishing very seriously. It goes to show that even after 18+ years of owning a boat, you can still be reminded of some vital information.

Cheers, Brad.

Regulations change and new laws come in - it's good to discuss these sort of topics to keep us in the loop.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

Here in rocky i am amemebr of the outrigger canoe club and when training on a monday evening we have one of the suction cup type nav. lights on the front of at least one boat (we stay as a group, but still try to have as many lights as possible).

The other week there was some bloke in a dark grey ski boat no more then 40m away, in the dark, STILL wakeboarding, do you think we could see him!!

The other week there was some bloke in a dark grey ski boat no more then 40m away, in the dark, STILL wakeboarding, do you think we could see him!![/quote]

G'day

Not a chance, and isn't it illegal to ski of any kind in low/no light situations?

Dave

With winter and the bream season coming on, the number of boats withoutnav light that will be night fishing at Caloundra has to be seen to be beleived.

Some only carry a torch and it's half dead.

It's time that the boating patrol did some night runs and book the daylights of those who have not nav lights.

$$ are no excuse, you can get cheap battery operated sets.

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by Luc View Post
    With winter and the bream season coming on, the number of boats withoutnav light that will be night fishing at Caloundra has to be seen to be beleived.

Some only carry a torch and it's half dead.

It's time that the boating patrol did some night runs and book the daylights of those who have not nav lights.

$$ are no excuse, you can get cheap battery operated sets.

Luc
    Not only are these idiots up at Caloundra but you will also find plenty of them around the Pin.
    At about this time last week i came within 20 meters of running straight up the rear end of a reasonably new 1/2 cab tinny anchord off Caruso island without an anchor light on.Wouldn't have been a preety sight as i was doing around 40 kph.
    The only reason i didn't hit them was because i had my front clears down and i could hear them yelling.Then someone moved in the boat and i saw a light on the dash,possibly a guage.I couldn't say anything too them cause i was to busy trying to shove my heart back down my throat and changing my jocks.
    These idiots need to sit back and think about the devestation they would have caused had there been an accident.

My 2 cents worth.

Cheers Dazza

Reading Dazza's story I think it is so important to make sure your anchor light IS visible 360 degrees around the boat.
    So many boats have an anchor light but is shaded by bimini's or consoles or motors or PEOPLE.
    If your anchor light is not above everything in the boat bung another one or two in so the white light IS visible from every angle.
    Some people may have the anchor light on....just can't see it