Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 24
  1. #1

    A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Here is one for the offshore fishoes

    How the hell do you stop a line tangle when stray lining

    So a basic ball sinker running down to the hook ..... typical snapper rig in shallow to medium depth.

    I cant remember it being a problem in the years gone by ....... but it is giving me grief atm.

    should I use a stopper or swivel to stop the sinker from running up the leader and braid ?

    chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  2. #2

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    I don't really notice line twist giving me any problems with braid. It certainly seems to handle it better than mono does.

    Years ago, I used to do a lot of float lining for snapper. We would anchor up current of a reef patch and get a good berley trail happening and float lightly weighted pillies down the berley trail on either 8kg or 10kg mono. After a couple of hours hard fishing, particularly when using Alveys there would be heaps of twist in the line to the point that it would develop twist bunches that would not go through the guides. By then, we were generally ready to try a different spot, so once we were underway we would cut the leaders and terminal bits off the gear and run a 100 metres of line out the back and drag it along under power.

    The water pressure would force the mono to unravel. After being towed for a minute or so, there would not be any twist left in the line at all. I reckon the same method would work for braided lines as well if necessary. Give it a try and see how it goes.

    cheers

    Jeff

  3. #3

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Quote Originally Posted by Short Fuse View Post
    I don't really notice line twist giving me any problems with braid. It certainly seems to handle it better than mono does.

    Years ago, I used to do a lot of float lining for snapper. We would anchor up current of a reef patch and get a good berley trail happening and float lightly weighted pillies down the berley trail on either 8kg or 10kg mono. After a couple of hours hard fishing, particularly when using Alveys there would be heaps of twist in the line to the point that it would develop twist bunches that would not go through the guides. By then, we were generally ready to try a different spot, so once we were underway we would cut the leaders and terminal bits off the gear and run a 100 metres of line out the back and drag it along under power.

    The water pressure would force the mono to unravel. After being towed for a minute or so, there would not be any twist left in the line at all. I reckon the same method would work for braided lines as well if necessary. Give it a try and see how it goes.

    cheers

    Jeff
    thanks Jeff

    It's not so much line twist as such ...... its the bait / hook tangling (twisting around) the main line with the sinker in the middle

    It's the sinker going down first & the trailing bait / leader spinning and wrapping around the mainline ....... the focus point often being the leader knot
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  4. #4

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    I also used to float baits down a berley trail with 8 or 10kg mainline. I always had a short leader of 15kg though, for a bit of wear resistance, maybe 50 - 60cms long, joined to the main line via a swivel.

  5. #5

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Put a swivel on the top hook to connect your leader to.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

  6. #6

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Put a swivel on the top hook to connect your leader to.
    So how does that work ?

    If the sinker isn't riding on top of the bait ..... there will still being a problem ..... .even the sinker above the leader and swivel would give the same problem ( if not worst)

    A solution or two is that ..... 1 ) Don't cast 2) lower the bait slowly so that the sinker is pushing down on the bait ( very much in the same way as you don't throw an anchor ... always use a slow / controlled lowering

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  7. #7

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    How about a small keel weight like you use for trolling slimeys I picked a couple up from Barra Jacks in Rocky earlier this year around pillie size they are
    have not used them but thought they might be handy to have on the boat for drifting


    Sent from my iPhone using Ausfish forums

  8. #8

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    The issue of the sinker running up the line is pretty common in floatlining. Because there is more pressure on the bait than there is on the sinker, it sinks a bit faster. If there is any bend in the bait, it will spin and twist up with the line above it. You get a similar situation with spinning baits on a paternoster rig. All you have to do is restrict the sinker's ability to move up the line. We used to use the smallest split shot crimped to the leader an inch or so above the sinker. These days you could just use the float stops that are used when fishing for luderick.

    Put one on your leader, tie the terminal gear to the end and slide the float stop down against the sinker and it will hold it in place and eliminate the tangle.

    cheers

    Jeff

  9. #9

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Quote Originally Posted by Short Fuse View Post
    The issue of the sinker running up the line is pretty common in floatlining. Because there is more pressure on the bait than there is on the sinker, it sinks a bit faster. If there is any bend in the bait, it will spin and twist up with the line above it. You get a similar situation with spinning baits on a paternoster rig. All you have to do is restrict the sinker's ability to move up the line. We used to use the smallest split shot crimped to the leader an inch or so above the sinker. These days you could just use the float stops that are used when fishing for luderick.

    Put one on your leader, tie the terminal gear to the end and slide the float stop down against the sinker and it will hold it in place and eliminate the tangle.

    cheers

    Jeff
    Bingo Jeff ..... & there you have it - Ta

    I couldn't remember what I would do .... all those years back and now you have reminded me - We used to use an elastic band tied around the leader . generally I was fishing shallower water ..... not 40-60m like I will / have been

    Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  10. #10

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Like Moonlighter suggested open the eye of the top hook and slip a swivel in place.

    I normally only run mono for float lining and if I use braid I run about a 15ft mono leader which gives plenty of room for sinker to move.

    Here's what some of my rigs look like...

    Attachment 116537

    cheers

    jim

  11. #11

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Bottom line is you’re using too much lead. If the current is ripping and we need big leads we do the exact opposite of what you propose. We let the Sinker go over the side and freespool while hanging onto the bait then throw the bait downstream a bit. Water pressure keeps it away from the sinker and it wafts more naturally.

  12. #12

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    What is "stray lining".? Must be a QLD term, like float lining.

  13. #13

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    What is "stray lining".? Must be a QLD term, like float lining.
    I think it's the Kiwi version .....

    what do you call it ?
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

  14. #14
    Ausfish New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Port Macquarie NSW

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    be careful how you rig the bait...chunks or square baits will twist , no matter what rig..1/4" x 2" strips of calamari tube work well , but I find the best is soft plastics soaked in fish oil..Rob

  15. #15

    Re: A basic question on float lining/ stray lining

    Quote Originally Posted by Rob0046 View Post
    be careful how you rig the bait...chunks or square baits will twist , no matter what rig..1/4" x 2" strips of calamari tube work well , but I find the best is soft plastics soaked in fish oil..Rob
    Mostly fishing pillie halves , butterflied baits or slimie fillets

    chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Join us