Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Builing a Surf Rod

Re: Builing a Surf Rod

The FSU4120 is too stiff in the tip to be used as a bait rod for my liking. Have used the Pacific Composites version of this blank (2 piece) as a spin rod for throwing raiders to 65-85g, it is better as a spin rod but I have managed to snap 2 from casting metals just above the foregrip. I have given up on this particular blank as there are better blanks out there for spin. One piece version of this blank may be more durable, I dont know.

(I've probably posted most of the complaints of these blanks out on the net...don't like em!)

Rod is rated 8-10kg even though it has 4 wraps, due to the thick butt diameter.

If you are still looking at this blank you could look at the FSU4144 so you dont need to worry about butt extensions.

As Bung has said, the FSU4120 is better suited to chucking lures, although I do like to use mine for a light (15kg braid) jew rod. To give you an idea of how powerful these rods are I use an FSU5120 with a 651E Alvey and 60lb line for pulling jew out of the really rough stuff. Your previous suggestion of a Mag surf is an excellent blank for the heavier surf work, light and crisp it will chuck an unweighted gar a mile. As well as the mag bream for your lighter rod, check out the Pacific Composites PPG Bream. Very light in the tip but with heaps of grunt from about 2/3rds down. This blank is much better than the snyder and the wilson supergraph. On the placement of the stripper guide, as said before go out to the park with masking tape and check out different positions. Don't use those wire stripper guides, use a 40mm BHVLG. These are more expensive, but will increase casting distance and last longer. Check out what Gary Howard has to say on the fishing monthly website. Hope this has been of help.

I agree on the size 40 BHVLG. these are a high mounted guide and will help with the wide spooled reels like alveys.

Hi mate.

with respect to the guide layout. There is a product link on this site with some info; go to alvey reels, then the rod link on that page, this will have a rough layout of the guide spacing and some blanks and their specs.

cheers

Owen