Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Basic GPS marks

Re: Basic GPS marks

I have done a lot of Net searching for starting GPS marks. What I have found is most are just that starting points and after going to these marks I then search the areas and then mark MY points and delete the starting marks... Don't think one mark I have went to that I got from online showed fish or anything that looked fishy....

I have bought charts (Sunmaps), books, etc. But every fish I have caught was on marks I found while watching the sounder as I travel from place to place, so my advise is to search on the water and find your own marks as they will out fish any mark you get on online....

Cheers
    Brett

I think this is a great thread.

Being a noob myself, im always eager to lean from those who are a lot more experienced in both boating and fishing and to be able to at least get basic few marks would be a great start.

Iv been trolling the net for a few marks and am interesting if anyone can confirm the marks below are actually real lol
    At the moments im looking at fishing a few close inshore reefs off the Gold Coast and these are a few that iv managed to find.

Mats Luck - 27.56.82 S - 153.27.81 E

Seaway Pinnacles - 27.56.936 S - 153.28.017 E

12 Fathom / 1 Mile Reef - 27.57.25 S - 153.27.00 E

Scottish Prince - 27.57.700 S - 153.26.120E

If anyone out there can confirm these marks that would be great and if [possible also add a few extra basic marks for a few close inshore reef it would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not looking for anyone super special marks, I respect that it does take time to find these spots but im just after a few basic ones that I can have a go at then venture off and explore and attempted to find my own.

Cheers
    Blake
    "You ever hear this expression? The worst day of fishing is better than the best day at work. Uh, I'll call B.S. I've watched the deadliest catch on Discovery. I've never once been at work, capsized in a 40 degree water, watched all my co-workers die, and be like, "Hey, at least we're fuc#ing fishing"

The way I started fishing offshore was first buy a book of "starter marks" then use your sounder to fine tune those areas and save them as your new spot X's.
    The book is called "500 HOT FISHING SPOTS & GPS CO-ORDINATES - CAIRNS TO BYRON BAY" rrp inc GST $9.90

Cheers,
    Wags

even though some sort of starting point is good, most times you are way better off "prospecting" and finding your own secret spots, many a secret spot has been found (probably for the 1,000th time) by people just trolling along with the sounder on, I rcnetly found a spot in a place I have been driving over for nearly 30 years, just happened to be trolling in one day and had the sounder on and found a small "lump" in an area surrounded by sand for miles, turns out to be a top spot, and as yet, I have never seen another boat there.