Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: why do you go fishing?

why do you go fishing?

Just wondering why every one, on ausfish go's fishing?

You after a feed, oh just for fun ect.....

mat

Re: why do you go fishing?

Both for me, and to get away from it all

rockfisho

Both here too. Just love being on the water. A few years ago when I mainly fished freshwater, it was 95% catch and release, just the odd bass being kept for the table. Now that I have the opportunity to get out and fish the reefs a bit, I bring quite a few home as I do enjoy a feed of good fish. I still enjoy the sporting side of it, but as I can only get out once a month, I find I am targeting table fish more than sport fish. It's a lot of work to get prepared for a trip and if I could, I would stay out for a week, I get a lot of enjoyment from spending time on the water, allways have, and don't think it's likely to change in the near future.

Dave.

I fish for fun and release nearly everything except for a few fish for my mum. Not really all that wrapped up in eating fish although I do enjoy a good feed of prawns and crab. Also don't mind a bit of sea perch every now and then.

Cheer,

Pete

A little from column A and a little from Column B. While I like .... actually enjoy eating fish. I love the sport and.... respect that we cant take everthing that ends up on a hook. Man/Woman against beast... its just nature.
    Why is all the good weather around on weekdays?

Because I have no life. Real reason Its a challenge at times and relaxing others.....its just plain fun.

Both for me too also just being away from the phone and the madding crowd

to get away from the wife

to kill things

really because im not very good at it and i learn something new everytime. its boring doing things which are easy and fishing has infinant opportunities to explore from bait to sp to who knows what in the future.

I fish for the challenge and the sport aswell to put a feed on the table, to get away from the missus and have a few beers with mates out on the water.

The challenge and seeing australia from a different angle. Just for that feeling that you get when you present a lure in such a way/in a certain spot and it pays off. That initial hook up All of my fishing is catch and release. If I feel like fish to eat I will buy it. Too much effort in cleaning them.

I enjoy the relaxation aspect, the thrill of the fight and the odd fish for the table. It is a great hobby/sport and something that should be cared for and encouraged for the younger generations

Just love being out on the water with mates havin a good laugh and gettin a good feed of fresh fish.

Josh

some good replys, gezz im a bit worried "to get away from the missus" . Seems like most people are after a feed , and a nice day on the water.

My initial response was. "What a really dumb question!" However, here is a more serious response...

I certainly would not go fishing without seeking a feed. I think that there is some primeval need for man to do that but perhaps not everyone might agree with me on that.

I like the solitude of fishing on my own and can equally enjoy being out in the bush on my own. Surprisingly maybe, I have actually been more fearful of the roar of strong winds in big trees around me in the bush when I was a younger man than I have been in bad weather on the Bay in driving rain at night on my own.

I also go into raptures about being close to nature away from the city. This is especially so on a winter's night out on the Bay which is an unbelievably sensual experience full of wafting smells of all sorts, unbelievable night sky views with the treat of occasional shooting stars and moonlight reflections off the water and occasional surprise sounds from the water - a splash here or a dolphin blowing there - and on the very best nights, complete stillness.

I also get excited about the "lucky dip" nature of fishing. You can be sitting there all calm with nothing much happening when a ratchet will scream away. That has to be one of the more satisfying and exciting sounds on the planet to a fisho.

I like the explorative nature of fishing. I am continually learning new bits of geography or topography, new fish species, experiencing new scenes at all times of the day and night.

Finally, I (and my family ) like the calming effect that a fishing outing has on me. I come home often tired but never frustrated. I feel relaxed and whole after a fishing outing.
    Last edited by charleville; 26-03-2007 at 07:21 PM.