Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why do you go fishing?

Re: why do you go fishing?

Nice Charlie.
    When I first started fishing many moons ago it was about numbers of fish in the bucket, that graduated to numbers and size of fish in the esky, now I find its about pleasure felt from deceiveing a fish to eat something thats not part of its normal diet, ie my sp or lure.
    I love a feed of fresh fish and have no hesitation in takeing fish for the table, but now days its about takeing what I need, not takeing everything I catch.

cheers
    Brian

As an ex-pig hunter who has hung up his guns,

I see the ocean as the next frontier,

I still get the same feelings as I did miles out in the bush, almost beyond help, & yes, human nature demands some blood-letting.

Without retracting any of the above,

now it's all about being out there, yes, we do take a few fish, they all get eaten, but it's more about the tranquility,

life's stress seems to "fall off" out there, & you leave it there when you come home.

I guess some of my recent posts show I haven't been out nearly enough lately.

Muzz

G'day all,
    well for me I feel that these days I go fishing for 1. the tranquility and release from the stresses of the working week, the ability to let go of all the crap and just concentrate on the feeling of the lure chugging along, stopping, pausing and twitching, willing that strike and the excitment of the hit and line stripping from the drag and finally the sight of a beautiful fish sliding up to the boat or the rocks, measuring and photographing the capture then the feeling of watching the fish swim free. Don't get me wrong I'll take a fish or two home for a feed but I can't see the point in wholesale slaughter and taking more than I need, after all it'll only keep for so long. I don't know if this all sounds too 'wanky' but it allows me to enjoy the natural world and get that connection back that I haven't had for a long time. Just my thoughts on the matter.

Cheers

Chris

YEP, thats why

Catching a feed isn't the number 1 reason i go fishing but it isn't that far off.To me it is a great way to relax and unwind.It also means i can spend some quality with the family.
    Even though i come home from a fishing trip feeling as though i have not slept for days i always feel relaxed.

Cheers Dazza

I have to say both and to catch up with friends and family. For me its a hobby, an intrest and a sport (non contact)

Cheers, Mick.

Charlie's come pretty close to how I feel particularly with the primeval thing. I've always been a hunter gatherer from a very early age. I was snaring my own rabbits (and the occasional cat) at 12, and at that age I'd already been fishing for 6 yrs although the cops kept dragging me back to the orphanage I was always thinking of new ways of getting a feed from nature with slingshot, bow and arrow, or whatever I could nick or make myself. When I got my .410 shotty I was in heaven but soon moved to a 22 as hunting became too easy.

I've taught survival skills to adults and kids and the looks on the city kids faces when you pull a plant from the ground and eat it is second to none

There's something about being in touch with, and part of, your environment that cannot be bettered (for me anyway). Some of the hardest work I ever did was as a pro bait digger/set liner but it was the most rewarding also........to know that you can provide without outside help is a superb feeling.

Yes, the hunter/gatherer thing is my driving force I think.

Like Charlie, I get the most satisfaction from pursuits such as fishing at night, the sights,sounds, smells, and the wind, whether it's a gentle breeze or a howling gale, takes on a whole new dimension at night.

Solitude is my friend and fishing can give me that on a solo trip.

Marriage and kids killed lots of that for a number of years but I can see the day coming when once again, I'll be able to go out there on my own, or with just the deckie, with no worries about what's for dinner, or if the superann contributions will allow me to do what I want to..................I'll be doing it

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

The adventure, I am in my elemt when I am outdoors on or near water just soaking it all in with freedom my closest companion -well till the green zones anyway.

I love eating fish so they are a feed I will not deny myself, love boats so they are the perfect medium to enjoy landing the feed.

Tackle I can take it or leave it. Bugger me it's been a long time between an adventure styled fishing trip (as much as it is possible under todays regulations).

cheers fnq
    Last edited by FNQCairns; 27-03-2007 at 06:30 PM.

Not a bad question, for me it's a chance to relax and enjoy being in the boat and on the water. Just kicking back with the mates or the financial controller. Escaping those anoying mobile phones that ring when I'm not at work.
    I catch and release as well as keep a few for the table.
    I enjoy the challange of trying to get the fish to the boat without busting off, using 4kg line (when I'm chasing a feed it depends where I'm fishing as to what line size I use).

I enjoy a good fight with the fish to see who wins, and don't get too worried if I loose.

Kenny.

Code:

Just wondering why every one, on ausfish go's fishing?

You after a feed, oh just for fun ect.....

mat
    Why ?

Who really knows, It means something to all of us

It must be in your blood, for me a feed is a bonus

To bring along a few mates and have a great time is Gold !

It costs me a fortune to own the boat but to part with it would be selfish!

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

one good reason why some one wouldn't go fishing.
    So many reasons to go, from a feed, to fun, relaxation, an endless list.
    good question, really made me think of all the reasons why i do go, well done.

Feed, fun, peace and quiet, time to myself.

For Me Its Just Being In The Boat If I Catch A Fish What A Bonus
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

I go to get drunk,and if you have a line in the water you are not classed as an alcoholic.

great way to get away from the never ending nagging of the missus.

Apart from that, if U tasted the grilled Luderick (2), Bream, Whiting and Dart (2) I caught saturday morning, well, need I say any more.

A feed of fresh fish just can't be beat !!