• Shellharbour

1 33.33%
  • Lake Illawarra

2 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Live Bait, what were how

Question Live Bait, what were how

Hi fisherpeoples

I have been hearing about live baits, i live in the Wollongong area of NSW.

I go out off Port Kembla and am not a great fisherman and need all the help I can get.

Could anyone tell me what I should use for live bait, how do i get it etc.

I guess I would need to cxatch it on the way out in the morning, If I was to be looking for Kingfish etc, I suppose live squid would be the go.

But where would i look for them and do I use a squid jig???

Help please.

Gordon

Re: Live Bait, what were how

Gordon,

A little out of my area, but consider purchasing bait jigs. These are a string of small hooks with an attractant on them. the attractant can be colour beads or pieces of shark skin. The idea is to drop these down near a form of structure and jig them up and down. If you have a sounder, then look for the bait balls etc.
    keep the livies in a live bait tank or aerated bucket. Some prefer to place the hook through the lips, while others prefer either below the dorsal fin or near the tail.

Either way you should have fun.
    Tight Lines

Split-shot

depending where you launch, there is a thousand places to catch live bait (Squid is OK but a lot of trouble) Port Harbour has Yellowtail in schools near the ramp, from Shellharbour, you can get them over near the gravel loader, in front of the Harbour, at Barrack Point, at the 'Church Ground" and heaps of other places. make yourself up a live bait tank and your done (and a small net to catch them in the tank)

Thanks Mate

To catch the yellow tail i would use one of the multi hook type jigs with the little white flags?

you can, but I prefer just a small handline and tiny sinker and hook, I find those bait jigs get very tangled and not worth the trouble, even with a big sinker on them, but hey, if you like them, use one! do you use Port Kembla ramp? easy to get bait there, or lots of places around the Islands.

Hi Noelm

Yes I use Port Ramp, I live in Balgownie and have an older Glass type boat, I have looked at Bellambi but dont like it as much as the Port one.

I am thinking about a short trip on Sunday with the step son, we only stick around the Islands as we are not very experianced as yet.

With the live bait would I just hover around the ramp (out of everyones way of course) or out past the inner break water where the 4 knot limit ends?

Thanks so much for you help, I will be making the live bait tank tonight now I have an old esky and a small bilge pump with some left over pvc pipe.

I hope the missus leaves me alone long enough to finish it.

Gordon

Another good tip is to berley with grated potato. The yakkas love it.

around the holding jetty you can get really small Yellowtail, and the next jetty over, where the Tugs tie up, they are much bigger, if there is no wind, you can just stop, burley (bread or whatever) and catch them. you will see people fishing in some places, keep an eye on them and see if any are catching Yellowtail (most are) that can give you some clues as to where they hang out. also if you want to launch late afternoon, catch some yellowtail and do some live baiting in the harbour (very easy and comfy because ou are in protected waters) you can catch some quite big Jewfish in and around the harbour, but you will need to anchor, make sure you are well away from the main shipping areas though.

on the bait tank, over the years I have scapped the pump idea and just use a bucket, it saves all the hassel of rusted and corroded wires and stuff, (no reason to not use a pump, thats just what I found) only need a bucket every 10 mins or so, very easy, make sure you have a good drain system that goes over the side, and another "trap" make sure if the overflow drain is of decent size, you make a strainer of some sort, so all your live bait does not go out the drain, seen that before!

Thanks Noelm

I might even try to escape the minister for domestic and social sciences on friday afternoon and give the jewies ago

Smile Re: Live Bait, what were how

I have successfuly negotiated my release, will be down at Pot harbour Sunday (would be there now but some idoit organised a bike club reunion on my weekend off. )

Quote Originally Posted by Noelm View Post
    you can, but I prefer just a small handline and tiny sinker and hook, I find those bait jigs get very tangled and not worth the trouble, even with a big sinker on them, but hey, if you like them, use one! do you use Port Kembla ramp? easy to get bait there, or lots of places around the Islands.
    The jigs are not that hard to use! But, if you can't handle the tangles, get one of the specially made cheap hollow rods that swallows up the bait jig into it so there are no tangles...