Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Soft Plastics and Snapper

Re: Soft Plastics and Snapper

Those pictures you posted Frank are very helpful.
    Tight lines, Look Cool - Act Cool - Be Cool

Ocean Kayak Prowler Elite 4.5 meter

Just read this thread, thanks for all the good advice fellas
    cheers
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Also (Scalem?), I would not advocate using the Mustad aberdeen hooks. They are not strong enough for snapper IMHO. You spend enough money on your boat and fuel to get offshore, and time is valuable also. Spend the few extra $ to get the TT or gamakatsu heavy wire jig heads or there is a strong chance you will lose any decent snapper you hook. They have bony mouths and their jaw is very strong.

Like I said, each to their own. It's all good

Jeremy
    Hi Jeremy,

I 100% agree that the aberdeen can fail on Snapper because they are not strong enough, however, when fishing light in Moreton Bay with 8 to 12 lb line, the amount of resistance you need to bend a #4 aberdeen will also snap your leader or main line, which is why you have to be prepared to slug it out with a big snapper in Moreton bay. Using these outside in the kind of territory that Frank fishes is sure to fail, again I agree with you. I discovered the same raw hook ( no lead on it) in a gamakatsu which seems much stronger, and I think for the extra $$ I will go with these in future.

Thanks for the clarification.

Scalem

Frank00, great pics and cheers for the great info. To all other contributors to this thread, Thanks for all the info, will be stored in the brain bank and hopefully used to best advantage. I have one comment to make about some tips i got from this thread earlier re: Nitro jigheads......I used some 3/8oz #2/0 on the shallow reefs(3m to 7m) around wello a few weeks back and I have to say they seemed to be very snag resistant. I usually used Ball head jigs here and would get regular snags if allowed to bump the reef too much but the nitro's (heavier than i would usually use too) seemed to bump over the reef without a single snag for me. This was something Myself and The Missus both commented on while driving home that night.
    Another thing i've noticed with the Nitros I have in my tackle bag at the moment is some discrepancy in the hook size quoted on the box. I have a packet of 5/8oz #3/0s and a packet of 1/4oz #3/0s that I've noticed seem to have much bigger hooks than stated. The 1/4oz actually appear to have more like a 5/0 hook in the them. when you compare the 2 side by side it is clearly a much bigger hook

again, to all, great info here.
    Cheers, Roo.