Thread: saltwater locations in and around brisbane and coasts?

saltwater locations in and around brisbane and coasts?

Hi all,

I've just started to get into salt fly after doing a fair bit of freshwater fly in nz,

i bought a few flies the other day, and i'd heard that some of the canals around raby bay were worth trying, i spoke to some locals and they said it wasnt overly fruitful.

can y'all recommend me some places around brisbane / north / south coast that's good for a bit of fly action?

thanks

Re: saltwater locations in and around brisbane and coasts?

Not sure about Brissy or the gold coast area, but any estuary would be a good place to start for species like Flathead and such. Good old clousers cast along drop offs and around weed beds. Can be fished from the bank, wading or out of a boat. Do it up here in the Pummistone Passage at Caloundra myself. Can't see why it would be any different further south. As for canals, BREAM around pontoons and maybe a chance of tangling with a Jack o two. Just make sure your a very acturate caster, as the fish hang tight to the pontoons and some residents aren't keen on people hitting their boats. I know I wouldn't be.
    Just get out there and give it a go. Break some new ground. If it looks fishy, get the wand out and chuck some fluff.
    Cheers
    Billyboy

awesome thanks. ive been having a dig up at dohles rocks near the pine river mouth, theres a 3m hole in the middle of these mudflats, there was another guy fishing there too, i chatted to him he said he fished there fairly often and had a bit of luck, had a flick around with softplastics too and got a lot of hits but didnt manage to land anything.

have to give it a better effort, i have a few different clousers in a variety of colours.

Quote Originally Posted by s1me View Post
    awesome thanks. ive been having a dig up at dohles rocks near the pine river mouth, theres a 3m hole in the middle of these mudflats, there was another guy fishing there too, i chatted to him he said he fished there fairly often and had a bit of luck, had a flick around with softplastics too and got a lot of hits but didnt manage to land anything.

have to give it a better effort, i have a few different clousers in a variety of colours.
    Chartreuse ....

Smile Re: saltwater locations in and around brisbane and coasts?

Two of my favourate colours for flatty are chartese/white and white/charteuse. this time of the year pepper the mouths of the creeks and drains. Also don't forget the tailor while the pike are spawning i the bay. Any points at dawn or dusk, down a burley trail should produce the goods.

Bassbuster

Have to agree with Sniper here the Pumicestone Passage is a great fly fishing venue used to fish alot around the bridge pylons on the mainland side also plenty of flats here as well to explore have caught Tailor,Flathead,Cod,Jacks,Bream and Trevally in this area.

Regards,

The Bomber