Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dart on fly ? has any one done it

dart on fly ? has any one done it

has any one flyfished at the beach and nailed a dart or whitting or any fish at all a beach. if so what was it and what fly did you catch it on. just asking because i am keen to try it out on some of the beaches around the sunny coast and i can use all the help i can get
    figjam :wink:

Re: dart on fly ? has any one done it

I have caught Dart off the beach on Clousers at Fraser Island a couple of years ago. Can't remember colours but I caught one after the other. I have also caught Dart in the bay at Mooloolaba on Polar Fibre Minnows whilst fishing for tuna.

Meherio

They'll go for anyhting, caught fishing for flatties at Caloundra on small chart/white clousers

thanks guy's. i hope i get smashed (on the clousers ofcourse)
    figjam :wink:

caught a dart on fly at south curl curl just b4 dawn .drew

Caught some at Fraser too.

Clousers (ultrahair) and Poly Fibre clousers.

Quick strips did the trick.

I have caught heaps of dart on conventional 6 hook bait jigs so I cant see why they wouldnt love a well presented fly

i got herring in wa, but that's all.
    of course many people catch "indo pacific snub nosed dart" form shore, AKA permit.

George E

Whatever you do, do not let them Americans find out that you guys get regular catches of "permit" from the beach. You guys will be swamped quicker than you can say "PANAM Flight 069 now arriving at gate 7".

Keep the fact to yourselves if you like your beaches nice and quiet like.

Wessel

Yes two 6lb Swallowtail Darts at Cuvier, off rocks and quite a few Ballions Darts to 500g at the same place, Mostly caught on ver small Fulsers Thunder Creek flies.
    Played with heaps off the Carnarvon jetty, we would use a heap of whitebait as nerley and cast a fly into the mess. The Darts ate everything but the flies. Picky things,
    MaxG

i thought it was well known that dart were caught here, though i don't know where here

Try some shrimp pattens.

They work for us.
    "Good Fishing"

Craig Jenkins
    Strikezone Fly & Sportsfishing.

Nuggstar - let us know how you get on with the dart and whiting. I too live on the Sunny Coast and have similar ideals of catching dart and whiting in the surf but so far only one small flathead! Used a pink crazy charlie.

hey Nuggstar and thumbs why don't you guys go down to the maroochy river north shore and chuck a few white clousers around , I go down there and walk the bank with a couple of mates and we catch a real mixed bag and we walk away from the dart , if either of you guys want to myself and Gav from tien fly are cruising down one arvo this week I am sure he wont mind and I don't care if you guys tag along at the very laest you could learn a few new swear words

flyfisho - thanks for the invite. I would love to watch you guys to see how it's done!!! Let me know when you are going down and i will try to get there.
    thumbs