• Squigies

119 28.20%
  • Gulp

303 71.80%
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Squidgies Vs Gulp ?

Re: Squidgies Vs Gulp ?

Quote Originally Posted by username_taken View Post
    How do you hook up the craws? Tail first or head first? Do you bend the tail around the bend of the hook, or keep the craw straight ?
    This is one of numerous sooties bagged by my missus on gulp craws in camo!!
    She was using a squidgy finesse head, 1.5gm no2hook. She tail threads em, and has the tail straight, with the hook coming out near the end of the tail, but not into the body,
    cheers

G'day!

Anyone had sucess with Gulp worms (or similar) for summer whiting? Do you cut the worms into half? I have not bought them but they look long for a whiting hook.

RayDeR

i prefer sqidgeys on flathead and gulps targeting snapper

I've had excellent outcomes with squidgies on flathead in the river, but I've also been using them longer. They do tend to lose their tails, but I splice cheap tails from an old "bucket of bait" back onto them using superglue. This makes them last much longer.

One thing I like about squidgies is that you don't have to worry about them drying out or going slimy between fishing trips.

Having said all that, I'm going to give gulps a good go this season. I'm sure I just need to get the hang of them.

Myde
    Last edited by myde; 15-09-2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: left out a word

Rayder, tried them once while fishing for whiting with beachworms, no comparison.

While the gulp worms did catch a suprising number of fish the live worms beat them hands down. About 30 on bait 10 or 12 on gulps.

and yes we broke them in half, expensive way to fish for whiting. then again with beachworms and the prices some places charge.

This is an interesting topic. I currently use Gulps for Snapper and am having good success. I have tried Squidgys, Power baits, and alike, but have more success on Gulps. I reuse if not to damaged, and have caught 3 fish on the same Gulp, so I think it depends on where the fish it hooked. I also agree they are not cheap, well here in AUS, if you get e friend to purchase for you in the US they are about $6 a packet. Do we blame Taxes or Profit for the AUS price.
    Cheers, Mark (Rufus)

Squidgies one spot Gulp the next it depends on local and what lives in that location. Eg; weed bed with a population of prawns i use Gulpshrimp, weed bed without prawns either Gulp 4" minno pumpkinseed or Squidgie 70mm black and gold and the list of veriations goes on.

i have found that the squidgie fish has been good chasing flathead and gulp aswell as powerbaits good chasing snapper. so i keep a good stock on hand of most brands!!

shappy

I've started soaking my squidgies in gulp juice.

what you think about getting all of the 'juice' out of empty gulp packets and putting it in a tub so after a whille you have a similar thing to a gulp alive bucket which you can recharge any plastics in. or alterntively add some fish attractant sent stuff from a shop to it

anyone do it????

Yea do it all the time. Got the gulp alive bucket. The worms dry out very quickly so I just cut them off and slip back into the bucket jig head and all. Also put other brands into the bucket as well if they have survived an encounter. Works well for me. Cheers Shane
    Fishing! Its the way of life.
    Southwind 6.70

GULPS - tried all the others and still caught fish - but half as many

For me it`s Squidgies but if Berkley could bring out some Gulp in more natural colours it might be different.

Stack

I like Gulps and as for the jig heads I prefer using Fluoro jig heads from Bozos.

While gulp are certainly the benchmark, I have been having great results on the new squidgy pros. When you have been distracted (on phone with rod in rodholder) and missed the first bite, only to then retrieve your plastic squidgy from the gut of a snapper, you know the new s-factor attractant works a treat. The other day I was fishing with my reguar fishing mate who was using gulp, and me with squidgy pros on a snapper bite. After 3 hours it was me 12 fish, him 2. After an analysis I think on the day the flick baits I was using were closer to the shape of the baitfish which were present at the time, but it still shows that the new squidgy pros can keep up with the gulps now they have a decent attractant with them, and in some cases squidgies will outfish gulp perhaps because they are tailored for local species.