• Squigies

119 28.20%
  • Gulp

303 71.80%
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Squidgies Vs Gulp ?

Re: Squidgies Vs Gulp ?

Quote Originally Posted by BLOOEY View Post
    Terminator snapbacks are almost indestructible and catch plenty of fish.
    I have to agree. I use the Snapbacks too but they are hard to find in the retail outlets because they last so long that businesses don't want to stock them because there is not enough repeat business with them. But having said that I do use Gulps as well.

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Bogtrotter View Post
    ...if you believe australian chatboards there are basically only 2 companies that produce soft plastics, Berkley & Squidgies....
    personally, i have never bought a packet of Berkley, mates have them & use them side by side for similar results, & won't ever bother while i can get Gamblers, Strike Kings & Zooms.
    I agree it's a little one-sided, I don't know that anyone has brought up Storm, Ecogear or Tropic Angler either... would have thought those were worth a mention. Ecogear Grass Minnows have won a tournament or two, I believe.
    I'm using Bozos at the moment, a little Gold Coast company that makes good quality plastics. Am curious to see the new bio-Squidgies though.

Ok im not usually the 'wet blanket type' and im not a big fan of either but when i tried them gulp lures, nuclear chicken minow or somthing, the dam thing shrivled up a couple of days after using it!! leaving it dried and rendered usless. does this usually happen? cause im completly turned off the whole gulp concept.

Yes you don't leave a Gulp out to dry, you'll never get it off the hook again! In future when you're done fishing just put the Gulp in a ziplock bag, away from any unused Gulps, and it should be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic View Post
    Yes you don't leave a Gulp out to dry, you'll never get it off the hook again! In future when you're done fishing just put the Gulp in a ziplock bag, away from any unused Gulps, and it should be OK.
    if they do dry out just stick them in a jar of water for a while & they come back good as new, i have one i have been soaking & drying out for about 18mnths now, longest dry period was 3months, back in water, good as new in no time...i have never fished with it, i just play with it..

Quote Originally Posted by DR View Post
    ...i have one i have been soaking & drying out for about 18mnths now, longest dry period was 3months, back in water, good as new in no time...i have never fished with it, i just play with it..
    I've never met anyone before who has their very own pet Gulp! I suppose it would work with Food Source too, but I don't want to battle the stink to find out

I wonder where DR keeps it? Sluggo's for me ......but then I'm a kingy nut!

....look guys and gals...at the end of the day do that catch more fish that a well presented dead bait? (I know that there is more to it than that in terms of fun and being the little bait and not having to find bait at 4.00am and...on and on..but I would love to know).

Yes i found that too, the snapbacks are quite hard to get my hands on. Bloody good value for money thoe.

Quote Originally Posted by kingyfisher View Post
    I wonder where DR keeps it? Sluggo's for me ......but then I'm a kingy nut!
    it lives in an old sweet corn jar on a shelf in the workshop.. has hardly any smell at all, i call it Brian

Never used Squidgies...Just purchased my first packet of Gulp....So i am all new to this...Cheers Mick

I use gulps but prefer to use squidgy finesse jigheads, they got strong hooks.

Personally I reckon they're the biggest con-job and rip-off I have ever come across in my whole life. I've yet to hook any kind of fish on a gulp or powerbait, I "invested" some of my hard-earned money in jig-heads and packs of gulps and powerbaits, plus a couple of DVD's - one being BCF's Fishin' Tips on Snapper/Bream/Flathead, which has some good flathead tips, shot on location at the Gold Coast's own broadwater, and the other DVD being Berkley's soft plastics disc with that guy and his boat "Full tilt" reeling in fish after fish from the beach, snags, estuaries and shallow reef.

I'd like to see somebody in real life cast one of those rip-off mongrels into the water and get a hook-up because I'm buggered if I can get a fish to hook up on one of these little buggers.

A month ago, I started using these SP's, and for the first time in my whole life (I'm 42 and have been fishing since I was a teenager), I've gone two weeks without catching ANYTHING. Nothing. Not even something undersize to chuck back in the water.

The past two weeks, I've gone back to pumping yabbies, and take both my 12ft rod with the usual #4 mustad long shank hook and sinker, plus the 9ft'er rigged with a suitably sized jighead.

The breakwall at Tallebudgera river is great because when the water's clear you can see the fish in there on the beach side. Mostly Bream.

Cast a live yabby in there and you can see the fish moving around it and smashing into it. Cast one of these little snots in there and the fish largely ignore it. Yes the occasional Bream has a nibble at the tail, but that's mostly the long and short of it, as you can see from the pic.

Cast live yabbies, or pilchards into the surf and you pull out fish every now and then. There seems to be a lot of undersize bream around at the moment, but one things' for sure, gulps and powerbaits aren't attracting them beyond a nibble on the tail.

In one morning, I've had an entire pack (14) of these little snots wasted with the tails chewed off by bream casting into the surf off the Tally river breakwall.

These things are a complete waste of time in the Estuaries because the little Toadfish absolutely love them. Yabby island further up the tally river, toss one into the edge of the sandbank where I usually see a few flathead lies at the low tide, and bigger fish ignore them whilst toadies and little whiting smash into them and mincing up their tails.

Shaky shads, grubs, mullet (pictured), pink white pumpkin seed, makes no difference.

As you reel it back in and you can see it jiggling around in the water, they are chased by swarms of little whiting and toadfish, who both nibble into the gulp's tail.

Go figure. I'm doing everything the guys on the DVD say, three jerks, reel, three jerks, reel. Or with the shaky shad, just reel it in slowly along the bottom, but the past four weeks have seen me chuck $80 down the gurgler buying these little rip-off mongrels.

On the Tally River rockwall, I'd switch rods, put a yabby on the hook, cast out, and get nibble after nibble and a hook-up every now and then. Then I'd switch rods with one of these gulps on there, and it's nibble after nibble, no hook-up, just lost tails and wasted money ($9.95 a pack).

Rip-off !!

I've had much better sucess rates with the gulps, particularly in Pumpkin seed scales colour, 3 or 4 inch length.
    Last edited by OISTA; 05-06-2007 at 02:49 PM.

Gulps and Gamakatsu round Hook 1/8th 2/0 jigheads have accounted for the most fish for me according to my fishing diary