422. You may not vote on this poll
  • Squigies

119 28.20%
  • Gulp

303 71.80%
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast

Thread: Squidgies Vs Gulp ?

Re: Squidgies Vs Gulp ?

Squidgee's for me - last forever(dont dry out if you forget to close the packet), half the price, not biodegradable - so no nutrients or chemicals released into water way.

Also they dont stink like 3 day old chook guts.

ARE GULPS FOR BEGGINNERS ONLY THEN? to start people on plastics then move on to one which are harder to catch fish on....do some people pefer to make it as hard as possible to catch fish? am i missing something here.

Good question charlie bouy

I know I can catch fish on Squid and ganged pillies...this has been going on for hundreds of years. But with declining fish stocks, declining fish size and the car parks that popular spots have become. I made the decision to go light , fish for lighter catch and make it a little more challenging by using the plastics. I have even flattened the barbs on all my hooks (mostly for my kids sake).

I prefer Gulps because they break down naturally, can be reused many times and are readily available. As a newbie to this plastics fishing....I have enough trouble hooking up without wanting to make it harder.

I guess once I have mastered the technique, YES I will broaden my horizon to other brands. As to which one....Well I guess that will be up to who ever markets their product to me the best

BilgeBoy

i would say squidgies out off the 2 choices power bait should have been option 3 then i would have gone with that , i think gulp should not be called a soft plastic it is a fish shaped BAIT . thats my opinion any way . you dont need to move a gulp to get hits you can leave it on the bottom like a bait .

squidgies for me.

had a few good sessions over easter on the gulps and when the packet was empty i put some sqidgies in to soak up some of the juices. and these worked fine as well .

tight lines

I'm pretty new to this whole SP thing ... but what I have found is that since I started using gulps as the prefered SP .... my bite rate has increased significantly NAGG

Gulp for results! but squidgies seam to last longer.

I dont think this poll is working because we are all australians and we allways back the under dog (squidgies)... Gulp reign surpreme

Quote Originally Posted by spinyeel View Post
    The secret is the scent.If you could buy Gulp scent in a spray pack,the options would be limitless.Berkley definately came up with a winner.Most plastics will catch fish,but Gulp is in a different league entirely.Gives you an almost unfair advantage.
    so would I be correct in assuming that gulp's are probably the closest (artificial) thing to whacking on a hook to using a live bait like a yabby, except the SP "stays on longer" (on the jig)

Feedback pls....

what gulp would one use for Dart? same as Bream ?

Apart from some very species specific fishing, such as sluggo,s for kings(nothin comes close), I always try and use gulps. Not only are they fish catching machines but the biodegradable factor is important to me. When there are other biodegradables that are as good, well I,ll try em, its not brand orientated.
    The lost plastics are pollution, if you don,t care, thats your business, but I like to leave the joint no worse for my presence. Plus I,m not sure a fish that gets away with a plastic in its guts is gunna be ok. Just my reasons for using gulps.
    By the way, I,m upto 14 diff species on the one type of gulp, not sure there is much reason to use anything else.

which gulp is that, bommi boy? the 2" shrimp?

Which colour do u find best, nuclear chicken? (seems to most closely resemble a yabby or prawn).

thanks !

When i first started i thought squidgies were the best, now i hardly use them anymore, gulps play a big part, along with Atomics, Zooms and Powerbaits, have alot of unused squidgys lying around.

Cheers
    Michael
    Little BigFish, 4.5 Blue Fin Warrior

i use just about any tipe of softie on a given day, preferably squidgies , mainly because of their durability. have had great success on king georges with the gulp blood worm range , but it is generally one fish to one placcie in this scenario though. for reef fishing cant go past snapbacks if there are jackets around. tough as indestructable as war in iraq....

Well I've made the plunge and as this Saturday unfolds, I'll report on what my almost-$80 investment in a couple of packs of gulps, jig heads, the funky little blue berkley carry bag with sealable compartments inside, plus 8lb fireline and 10lb vanish for leader.

I'm targeting flathead at the crack of dawn Saturday morning and will be peppering my spot thoroughly with some Pearl Silver Shaky Shads mounted on a 1/8 jighead with 2/0 hook as an open invitation to any obliging flathead I twiddle and bounce this tasty looking and smelling thing past to have a go and give my 7ft stick a bit of bending fighting action

Also got some 3" Swimming Mullet in the gulp variety lookin' fine in Pumpin seed, matched to 1/8 head with #4 hooks as these fellas have a body considerably thinner than the shads - could be a viable option for bream, whiting or the unsuspecting dart.

The way people are raving on about these gulps, let's see what happens. There was another guy perusing the berkley stand at Burleigh BCF looking for his favourite SP, and chatted with him. Said he was looking for some pilly in a particular colour and says he's been getting very good tailor on them, and his mate swears by the shrimps and won't go back to live yabbies or prawns ever.

That was a walk-in customer not a BCF staffie, suppose there's got to be some merit behind these gulps and powerbaits, otherwise that company (Berkley) wouldn't have become the worlds largest manufacturer of this kind of product.

Pricey little buggers though. Hope they work ! - bought and watched both the BCF Snapper/Bream/Flathead as well as the berkley soft plastics DVD's so I've got an idea of the technique. If there's flatties there ... then ....