Thread: Australia Trip

Australia Trip

Hey There,

I'm from Ontario, Canada but take a few trips a year to Florida, USA where I do some fishing in the Keys & Everglades National Park. I fly fish most often, but not exclusively. I will be coming down to Australia in May & perhaps into early June. I will be in Adelaide for about two weeks in the early part of May, & then I am thinking of heading up Sydney for a week of so, and I will be spending the rest of my vacation in Cairns.

I was just wondering if anybody would be able to pass along the names & websites of any fishing guides in the above mentioned cities, what the weather & fishing should be like, what I can expect to encounter and if fishing from the beach would be a viable idea that time of year?
    I will be bringing my 10 & 8wt fly rods, as well as two spinning rods with 10 & 14lb. test and one in the 20 range.

I would really love to catch a queenfish, barramundi, trevally, and tuna. Would there be any billfish around I could take on a fly? I'm looking to target fish I can't find over here. I'm really not too fussy about what I catch, any thing with fins really, fresh or salt water, doesn't matter.

Also interested in doing some eco tour type stuff, & some snorkeling. I have a keen interest in ecology.

Thanks in advance!

www.evergladesbackcountry.com

S.S.

Re: Australia Trip

For a flyfishing guide in Sydney, try Justin Duggan - www.sydneyflyfishing.com.au

If you could get to Hinchinbrook (south of Cairns), there's some great guides down that way
    Rob Laspina - www.roblaspinaflyfishing.com He's been getting his clients onto some lovely fish of late.

The barra fishing CAN be a little slow over the months you're talking about but they are still catchable.

There are plenty of snorkelling opportunities in Cairns .... the place thrives on tourists that want to head out to the reef. Having said that, the reefs out from Cairns are absolutely mind blowing. I spent two weeks on a reef where every morning was spent snorkelling before catching baits for the marlin. THEN catching the marlin - awesome stuff but that was October/November. I haven't had much to do with any of the current guides in Cairns but I'm sure someone else will be able to help out.

Hope you have a great time. If you ever get the opportunity, Cape York is one place that you'll fall in love with. Just as an appetiser, check out www.weipaflyfish.com.au

Cheers

Hey Leeann,

Thanks very much for the excellent links. I have found some websites for a few guides fishing out of Cairns that have been recommended in a few books. I have not done any looking around on the internet yet, but do you have any motels you would recommend in Sydney & Cairns?

S.S.

In all honesty there are a huge range of accommodation places in Cairns/Sydney and depend on what you're chasing.... Resort? #Motel? #well... there's a huge choice. #

For Cairns, try #http://www.cairns-accommodation-dire...nformation.php #

I don't know what level of accommodation you require but generally 4star upwards is okay.

For Sydney??? # I generally stay at friends' places so that's not a lot of help. Try www.sydney.com.au

Good luck!

G'day Garpikehunter, try and get onto Erskins tackle shop in Cairns, they should be able to recomend some good guides in the area

Cheers Chris

imported_admin

For charters have a look at http://www.ausfish.com.au/crcs/

For accommodation - http://www.cairnsgetaways.com.au/ (owend by Cairns Reef Charters Services)

Hey GPH...small world man! I'm Ken from CRAA Great group of guys here for sure. I'm also trying to see if I can plan a trip to Australia...but in a few year's time. If my buddy and his fiancee moves to Australia though...it may be sooner

Damn...I'm doing some of the same thing you are doing in May...but in Hawaii. I'll be looking for small trevally, barracuda and peacock bass with my 6-wt. Other fish such as small hammerheads, tuna, mahimahi, larger trevally and bonefish will be on the spinning rod. I'm also going to snorkel a lot and maybe purchase a bike and eventually ride through most of the island on the bike...we'll see

We should plan some trips together
    Last edited by Ken+; 16-02-2007 at 02:40 PM.

Hey guys, thanks for all of the good advice.

I've been talking to a lady at Cairns Reef Charters and she has been looking after me quite well, I have all my guided fishing picked out. and am looking forward to it.

Hey Ken,

Hawaii sounds awesome, I was thinking of stopping over there for a week on my way to Australia, but I figured I'd rather spend that week in Australia, Hawaii is a bit closer. Should be running the fishway in a couple weeks if it stays nice & warm, see ya out there.

I'll keep everybody updated with some pictures.
    Anybody have any idea of what I might be able to encounter flyfishing off the beach in Cairns? I talked to a guy who was there in the spring, and he said he got into all sorts of trevally on poppers & streamers. Is it reasonably safe to fish from the beach? In other words, are their any creatures that can kill me.