Thread: Twisted leaders

Twisted leaders

G'day Ausfishers,
    I have just started twisting my own leaders from 12-15lb fluro and mono for use chasing murray cod. The knot that i have been using to attach the end ( not the loop end but the other) to the clip (polomar) seems to create quite a bulky and messy knot. Does anyone have any tips on a better knot for this task or another way of tying this. Any help would be appreciated as i cannot afford to continue purchasing the pre tyed twisted leaders when i have been goin through them rather quickly.
    thanks
    aadam

Re: Twisted leaders

I tie an overhand knot in the end and then make a double twisted end in it and then tie a nail knot either side of the overhand knot. Little tricky to tie but comes out quite well.

PlasticFantastic

Uni knots work well for me when tying to a snap (Hard Knot).And the Perfection Loop ties up very well for a (Loop knot).I mainly fish Bass with a 10lb twisted to 20.And these knots form quite well.

I recently made some light Barra leaders from 16 twisted to 32.And again the above knots formed well.With no failures at all in testing,And fishing.This sounds of similar size to what you are making.

You could also start with 8lb twist to 16,Apply ya snap then quad back up around 8 inches,Then finish the leader with either a Uni or Nail knot.This will achieve more depth on the cast and troll (Due to the thinner top section of the leader) while still giving you 32lb abrasion resistance at the bussiness end.
    Last edited by Hardb8; 13-03-2007 at 07:49 PM.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

i have always wondered, what advantages do twisted leaders have over normal leaders????

aadam,

I have been twisting leaders for quite a few years (see my previous posts on how I make them) the uni knot is the best knot to a clip I have found, it is strong and closes up neatly on both strands.

Bruce_ Bogtrotter (where do these names come from) a major advantage of the twisted leader is the smooth and very strong loop to loop connection between braid/gelspun line connected via a bimini loop to the leader.

It allows the connection to pass through the rod guides without a knot catching the guides at high speed when repeatedly casting. When casting lures many times in a fishing session a knot can become weakened very quickly. The other advantage is the shock or spring effect created by the twisted line if that is what you are after.

Howard (Goodoochaser)
    All times wasted thats not spent fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Goodoochaser View Post
    aadam,

I have been twisting leaders for quite a few years (see my previous posts on how I make them) the uni knot is the best knot to a clip I have found, it is strong and closes up neatly on both strands.

Bruce_ Bogtrotter (where do these names come from) a major advantage of the twisted leader is the smooth and very strong loop to loop connection between braid/gelspun line connected via a bimini loop to the leader.

It allows the connection to pass through the rod guides without a knot catching the guides at high speed when repeatedly casting. When casting lures many times in a fishing session a knot can become weakened very quickly. The other advantage is the shock or spring effect created by the twisted line if that is what you are after.

Howard (Goodoochaser)
    cheers for the info Howard, Bruce is a character in the Roald Dahl book Matilda. My daughter was reading it when i signed up, so i used the name..

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Bogtrotter View Post
    i have always wondered, what advantages do twisted leaders have over normal leaders????
    One major advantage is the knot connections.
    It leaves you with a much slimmer connection (via a loop to loop knot) that will pass through your guides very easily when casting.
    When you try to do a joining knot say with 40lb leader normally it leaves a bulky knot that chatters through your guides when casting and gradually weakens.

Cheers
    Pete

Am interested in doing my own, anyone interested in doing a how to video ?
    Cheers Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce_Bogtrotter View Post
    the advantage is that the leader has stretch,forming a shock absorber effect, and the best way to put the clip on is to double double the end about 300 ml or so and then a double nail knot. bob h

ps i know this because i have made many thousands of them,and have researched many different ways to do it and this is the best.
    Last edited by Bob H; 14-03-2007 at 08:37 PM.

thanks guys,
    i just worked out that it (the knot) works better if it is tied in an untwisted section of the line and then the twists worked down to the knot. (not sure if that makes sense) Basically twist the two strands together, but stop slightly before the end and tie the knot before the end is twisted and then work the twists into the end. The uni know seems to be working well and i tried a few with twistsing the tag ends back up the leader for around 10inches (to make 4 strands) and then finish with nail knot. thanks for the help
    ps just wondering how you rate the breaking strain of these leaders eg is a 14lb twisted to 28lb have a breaking strain of closer to 14 or 28. i realise that the abrasion resistance is doubled just not sure about the breaking strain
    thanks again
    aadam

Now I understand, I saw the thread title "twisted leaders" and thought it was going to be a political discussion..

cheers
    rob