Thread: PrawnStars

Question PrawnStars

G'day guys, I have a couple of prawn stars in my tackle box but have only ever used them once because I have no idea of how to use them. When you cast out do you just give it a flick hear and there? or do you keep on flicking it or am I way off?

Cheers, Mick.

Re: PrawnStars

forget about the tailflick thing and just crawl it along the bottom or glide it into snags and just a few little sharp lifts here and there

The prawnstars are a great lure that can catch just about everything. I normally just throw them out and let them sink for a few seconds and then give a couple of flicks then a pause for a few more seconds and then repeat. They dont tend to snag up to much so you can let them sink quite deep into a snag but if they do get snagged up you can normally always get them off. I just posted some pics in the saltwater pictures section and most of those fish were caught on prawnstars.

scotty m is on the money there check out the back of the pack gives you good tips

they do work quite good, BUT I have done some experimenting with the "tail flick" thing and it is all but impossible to get it to work (I was watching with dive gear as another person tried to 'flick") it seems that the lure is not heavy enough to stop it moving through the water to enable the line to pull the tail to make the flicking action, but that aside, they do catch Flathead, and I find it best to "jump" it on the bottom, and then leave it for a while, they will take it wwhen it is just sitting there, I guess Flathead think it is a Prawn resting.

got one treid to tie it on,stuffed up,havent used it since,stupid me threw the packet out with the instructions, any tips???
    If i could get paid the same to fish, sorry boss but i ......!

pretty simple, just thread the line through, tie on hook/treble. cast and catch Flathead, easy as!

I find that you can get a flick action when using a stiff rod. They also tend to be easier to flick once they have been used for a while however I dont think the flicking of the tail is crucial to getting fish to hit the lure. It can also be a good idea to superglue the weights in because the larger fish tend to knock one or both of the weights out when hooked. Once one weight has been knocked out the Prawnstar will swim sideways if there is any current. Replacement weights can also be bought from most tackleshops. They can be tricky to tie on but you get the hang of it after tying a couple on. To rig up, pass the line through to head hole and make sure the line goes through the eye of the front treble (Have seen many people loose the front treble before, including me) and then use a half blood knot to to tie off the the back treble but give yourself plenty off tag to work with as this seems to make tying prawnstars much easier.

I read another thread the other day where they suggest you put the prawnstar into a boiling cup of water for a minute or two. This seems to soften the lure up a bit and gets the tail to flick. Worked for me, couple of trevors first time i used it.

http://prawnstar.com.au/
    its all on the website, tying on, lure action, even using them as a dead bait.
    This website has heaps of info, so for anyone who uses a prawnstar, you should read the whole website.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by geoff72 View Post
    got one treid to tie it on,stuffed up,havent used it since,stupid me threw the packet out with the instructions, any tips???

LOL yep so did I haha.

Thanks guys for all the info! I brought mine when I was living in Kalgoorlie and threw the packet out there Ive been watching the reports section and have seen the catches people have got from these little suckers. Now all I gotta do is catch some fish!

Cheers, Mick.

I find I catch all my fish on the prawnstar by casting it out and letting it sit on the bottom for thirty seconds then a quick lift of the rod and wind a bit then let it sit on the bottom for thirty seconds. I have watched bream flathead and jacks in crystal clear water come out check it out then wham it on the bottom when it is just lying there. Never caught anything on slow cconstant retrieves or fast retrieves. Also works great for jigging in a snag without winding in.

I have found the small ones are good if you want some better distance just superglue a small singer in the body.

Thanks devocean for the reply, cant wait to get out there tomorrow and give them ago.

Mick.

Had one in my tacklebox for a few years now never had much success with it .So looks like I'll be blowing the dust off it and giving it another go.Thanks to The Gecko for the website.
    Glenn

They don't seem to catch much in the tacklebox