Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: opinions please

Re: opinions please

Gday Scott thats a mighty fine grip you've made there. What sort of tools you got to craft such a willow grip?

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardb8 View Post
    Hi finga,
    I'll try and dig up the picture of the reelseat that gave me the idea of carving my own from wood.My idea will have a little twist from the norm.

Excellent. I'm not a fan of normality.
    Can't wait for the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    Gday Scott thats a mighty fine grip you've made there. What sort of tools you got to craft such a willow grip?

Dave.
    Mate, under the house is like an Aladdin's cave for tools and crap.
    But when-ever anybody has something broken I can go down and fix it with the 'useless crap' (that's the cook's quote or name for it) from under the house.

For this project I used a couple of different lathes, a bandsaw, an angle grinder with a flapper wheel on it and some sandpaper and the most important tools...my broken down cactus hands and imagination.
    It took about 2 hours for the rough shape. Mostly on the bandsaw taking slithers off and then the grinder roughly smoothing until the bugger fitted and felt comfortable. And then about another 3 for making the forgrip, final fitting, finishing and getting a hole up the guts for the blank.
    After this one it should be a bit quicker as I kinda know what's the go now.

Cheers Scott

Quote Originally Posted by finga View Post
    Mate, under the house is like an Aladdin's cave for tools and crap.
    Scott

Scott sounds like my kind of place. You gotta have crap otherwise you can't fix or build nothing. As long as you got room for the old holden all is good.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Quote Originally Posted by dogsbody View Post
    As long as you got room for the old holden all is good.

Dave.

Mate, I haven't enough room here to store the poor old Kingswood but I have another house to store it and some more crap in.

Hi finga,
    I found it.But it's small,I've seen quite a few reelseats made from wood,And I think the first one I seen was carved by (Paul Kneller) Not sure if that was the correct spelling?Excuse me if ya reading Paul.

But the added pic is the one that I looked at and thought :- I gots ta make me one of those.After making it in my head over and over in my lunch breaks,I came up with a few twists.

I have come up with what I think is a unique design.Mainly cosmetic,But still practical,Very distinctive,And most importantly,Still effective.Nothing ground breaking design wise.More along the lines of being catchy(Pardon the pun).I think this would set these rods apart form the norm.And I would like to one day,Run through this idea with an experienced builder.And maybe in conjunction with a builder,As my limited experience would not meet the high standard I would like.Come up with my own signature series of rods.LOL.Nothing serious production wise.Just for myself and a couple of mates.But first and foremost,Serious fishing tools they would most certainly be.As fish is what we love to do.
    Last edited by Hardb8; 16-03-2007 at 10:26 PM.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Beauty hardb8.
    It's got to be easier and more accurate casting if the butt is comfortable.
    I'm going to try and make a reel seat like that. Firstly with a bought (plastic) seat and then try and make the whole reel seat out of wood including the threads and collets.
    Lucky I have plenty of time on my hands

No worries m8.Looking foward to seeing what ya come up with.Make sure ya keep us posted on ya progress.

Wood thread and collets....This could turn out to be a very special chunk of wood.

Oh,Good luck with ya ongoing battle against the cook.

Can't live with em....Would be real skinny without em....LOL.
    Last edited by Hardb8; 17-03-2007 at 09:24 AM.
    The underlying spirit of angling,Is that the skill of the angler,Is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish,And that the latter is entitled to an even chance for his life. Regards, Hardb8.Kickin tails and razin scales since 1979.

Finga
    you have a metal lathe dont you, just bung your bit of timber in that, shape up a took to give you a nice square thread, then find your coursest TPI and bob ya uncle. It would be a really nice grip and seat if the reel seat was an extension of the grip. Can just see it now, timber handle continueing on into a threaded reel seat with contrasting nuts of huon pine and stailess or ananised gold sleeves for the clamps. Another thought, what about a cantalever/over centre locking system instad of a thread. The mind boggles
    cheers
    blaze

STOP!!!
    My brains on overload now
    You fellas are giving me too much to think about....
    Blaze, I have some special taps (3/4X6tpi) for timber so the thread isn't a hassle.
    I'd probably veneer some nice timbers together like ply for the 'nuts' and 'clamps' just for the strength instead of solid timber.
    I have one of those cantilever reel seats under the house. Might have a gander..
    I've just been and spent way too much money at the blank man (Thanks Ian ) and the cook's gunna kill me again (That's if she finds out so sshhhh). But Oh well if she does. It was nice while it lasted.

If I survive today I'm home and hosed for a while at least because the runners etc I can hide

Anyways I'd better go and do the lawn and washing and anything else I can think of to get some browny points
    Cheers Scott

Scott they look better than a bought one mate. Be sure to bring a finished sample to the RBW.

Poodroo

Quote Originally Posted by Poodroo View Post
    Scott they look better than a bought one mate. Be sure to bring a finished sample to the RBW.

Poodroo
    Samples...mate, I've made 3 since then all getting a better feel.
    The dogs using one for a chew toy.
    By the RB week-end I'll have them down to a fine art.
    Anybody need any wood shavings??? I have a heap to get rid of for some reason.
    I'll have the blank now so I'll have some loose fit pictures soon.
    What are a good runner to go with a spin rod??
    I'm not afraid to spend a bit on them so opinions please.
    I spent enough on the blank so I can't scrimp on the rest of the rod can I
    I had a gander at the Ilusions from Pacific bay. Any thoughts??
    http://www.fishpacbay.com/products/g...ng-guides.html
    Or do I just stick with Fugi guides??
    Cheers and ta
    Scott
    Last edited by finga; 20-03-2007 at 10:57 AM.

Well I've done some more....
    The rod so far comes in at less then 200gms.
    I've beefed the butt up a fair bit just so it does not split when (not if) it is dropped butt first on the ground.
    Have to put a finish on the wooden bits now but not sure what to put on them.
    Any suggestions??
    I was thinking about filling the grain and about 4 or 5 coats of clear acrylic lacquer.
    Suprisingly enough something that's extremely smooth can be very grippy as well. That is if it's not wet.
    Last edited by finga; 20-03-2007 at 02:40 PM.

mate i have to say that your work is outstanding and can only hope mine looks as good.what kind of blank is it to be set in cheers ian oh and dont blame me for spending all your husband tax on blanks i just gave you and idea to work with

Scott,
    Pop down to your local gun store and have a look at some stuff called tru-oil.
    You can make it from matte to high gloss depending on how many coats you put on.
    As an oil finish, it impregnates the timber, so it won't scratch off like a laquer.
    Give Potters Firearms a ring at Underwood. Dunno if Geoff & Dorothy still run it or their son. Been year since I've seen them & he wasn't a spring chicken then.

cheers,
    Owen
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)