Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tackling metreys in the sticks

Re: Tackling metreys in the sticks

Roo

I reckon the compounds within super glue would negatively affect the structural integrity of mono or fluorocarbon....Having said that, I've got no scientific qualifications whatsoever upon which to base my analysis....I guess that's why they have so many different glues (even in the Loctite range) for different purposes.

Jas

The Loctite aint cheap either......I get mine from Wellsy's here on the Sunny Coast. the 3g tube costs $6.90 or the 25ml container is $22.50. I would think they'd work the same....the Loctite helps secure the leader to the dacron prior to whipping. It's fast setting so a drop on the knot would have the same effect as Zappa gap I think.

Using a wind-on though would mean I have have to use a bimini or plaited double.

Cheers
    Paul

Roo,
    If ya slim beauty looks ugly, me thinks it has not pulled in correctly or has riding turns. It should look tiny, smaller than a uni or similar.
    If you pull on the braid tag, (not too much, just enough to tidy it up), when you tension it up it will finish ultra tidy. If it doesnt, cut it off and do another, it may not be right.
    Yeh Ren Im with you, dont use ordinary superglue. You need the stuff that has CA+ rating.
    Cheers
    Jas

I reckon the mono part is the ugly bit. It looks like an ugly blob that is going to make a bit of noise going out the guides yet for some reason it is so smooth....going out...but a bit clunky coming back in.

I'll keep practicing. and i'll do a bit of research on the goop. CA+ rating???

Cheers, roo.

Great thread guys and there is an absolute ****load of information and ideas contained in it. Off to Monduran tomorrow for another week to put some of it to good use (I hope!).

Bad_Baz

I found some info on the Zap a Gap. Was'nt that quick
    May be of interest to those that use glue on their knots.

cheers, roo.

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...lue/index.html

Dear Paul,

I am the Monduran expert as I have caught 1 fish at 75cms. The reason I haven't caught many more is obviously because I have been high sticking with a locked drag. My dear fishing partner also kept loosing these monsters until he backed the drag off.

In all seriousness, Why don't we back the drag off and let the fish have his way with you. You may damage the braid on the first tree but it won't necessarily break your line. Using this tecnique you may be able to chase the "Big Girl" around the tree and actually have a chance of landing one. At the moment we all seem to be snapping the lines with a very spectacular ariel display as Big Barra spits the lure back in your face.

A very smart Fisherman with 30 years of experience has said to me many times, The harder you pull on that line, the harder the Barra will fight.

Sometimes a little finesse may pay off.

As I said I am the expert because I have actually caught one Paul.

Have fun next week.

Frank OO
    Last edited by Frank OO; 15-03-2007 at 11:42 AM.

Paul,

Frank must be right mate - he has twice the experience (age) on his side

Franks theory holds substance when open water fishing (Awoonga weedbeds) but in the sticks (like Faust and Monduran), if he let them run around the first tree, by the time you get around it, they have taken you through 3 other trees. Frank must be in the business of donating lures

Quote Originally Posted by black_sheep View Post
    Paul,

Frank must be right mate - he has twice the experience (age) on his side

Franks theory holds substance when open water fishing (Awoonga weedbeds) but in the sticks (like Faust and Monduran), if he let them run around the first tree, by the time you get around it, they have taken you through 3 other trees. Frank must be in the business of donating lures
    Lol Navi.........Ben must have taken him to the main basin to fish at Monduran Plenty of trees there Frank Not sure the XStream could exactly get around some of the trees in the bays we fish.

I think the other factor that has not been taken into consideration here is that most of us mad buggers as born massochists.......why else would we be in amongst the sticks unless we're after a hard, fast 50/50 fight ( make that 30/70).....I like burnt thumbs and locked drags......

Cheers
    Paul

Frank OO
    You have twice the experience I have, I havent caught ONE at Monduran.
    Your theory sounds good to me, enjoy your knitting lesson.
    Your local tackle shop will certainly back up ya theory hehe
    JW

Quote Originally Posted by the_matrix View Post
    Frank OO
    You have twice the experience I have, I havent caught ONE at Monduran.
    Your theory sounds good to me, enjoy your knitting lesson.
    Your local tackle shop will certainly back up ya theory hehe
    JW

ROTFLMAO Jas

Frank likes a challenge and he's quite the knitter I hear, and equally adept at tying on new lures

Cheers
    Paul

I have some experience of this knitting technique.....sort of.

The one fish I have extracted from Monduran actually had me around a tree and back under the mainline. I was lucky, I suppose, as the fish was all but done by this time. I had to pass the rod around the tree and up popped the fishy. No damage visible to the braid or the leader which I can only attribute to the trees surface being the consistency of soggy weet-bix.

So perhaps you could try knitting in the sticks....but hope the fish stays in the standing sticks so you can unpick it.

Lock em up i say......perhaps a leader made from rubber is the answer kinda supa size me course fishing.

roo.

All jokes aside, they key here is turn the fish's head.
    We know thats not that simple.
    Jas

Post Re: Tackling metreys in the sticks

This letting them run techneique in the timber doesn't sound that great to me.Just ask my wife who doesn't have the brute strength in her arms (thank god means I didn't marry a Russian weight lifter) to keep these meterys out of the timber. She gets quite dissapointed when a big fish straightens an owner 4x trebble or busts a 60lb twisted =120lb leader right before her eyes. She usualy says you naughty fish or something like that.

J&B.

Frank used the Knitting technique when we were at Monduran and was yelling abuse and obsceneties to me in the process to go and chase it with the electric while he was hooked up to the pilchard!!!! I definately think the knitting technique is for people who have too many lures and want to donate some to the cause. Not my idea of a fun time-150-200 casts, smack, big barra on then let the drag off so you can go chase it through trees and Lantana????? No thanks. Stick to the Reef Donkeys Frank.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by jack-n-barra View Post
    This letting them run techneique in the timber doesn't sound that great to me.Just ask my wife who doesn't have the brute strength in her arms (thank god means I didn't marry a Russian weight lifter) to keep these meterys out of the timber. She gets quite dissapointed when a big fish straightens an owner 4x trebble or busts a 60lb twisted =120lb leader right before her eyes. She usualy says you naughty fish or something like that.

J&B.
    Gidday J&B

I'm not quite sure that Frank's serious here about letting these big boys run in the forest under a light drag , as he has quite the sense of humour.....although the massochist in him says he likes being doubled over the gunnel of his big Cruisecraft fighting 25kg AJs on plastics armed with a modified version of one of Eric Grell's Big Bertha sticks.

As Ben & Jason are alluding, it's simply not an option to let a rampaging fish (even the 60cm models) have free passage in their own playground, especially at such close quarters to "bust-up territory" as are the areas we are talking about in this thread.

There are many great points of view here, but IMHO there are a few common denominators:

Be quick in reacting to the strike, don't give an inch, fight hard and high (not too high) only to the point where you have the fish coming where you want him, fight with a combination of locked drag and firm thumb pressure...a jumping fish is a good fish (i.e. disoriented/disenchanted and you have him under control, not vice versa), upgrade all of your terminals (splits and hooks), tie knots that your life depends on, never assume you are winning the battle.......above all, have fun......isn't that simple. Jas, have I covered off here?

Cheers
    Paul
    Last edited by Big_Ren; 15-03-2007 at 09:56 PM.