Thread: Run Off Barra

Run Off Barra

Was fortunate to visit NQ for work last week and found the time (after hours) to check out a couple of old haunts to see how they had responded to the rheeming they'd received from the wet season - pleased to report they were looking great!! All the aquatic weeds were flushed out, water quality was up and barra were actively recruiting into the system from the coast - over 3 nights of skitter popping (adrenalin fishing) caught 26 barra - mostly small - but with a couple of >70 cm fish mixed in to give the spinning rig a reall work out - love NQ sweetwater after a good wet!
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Re: Run Off Barra

Nice work Jim, great pics, looks a ripper of a spot!

Where abouts up north???

Cheers zedjack33

P.S. How did Splitters go the other week??
    Last edited by zedjack33; 06-03-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Zedjack,

You obviously know me and my work where abouts (PM me your ID for future ref). The location (above) was Townsville and it was actually the week before last - just hadn't got back in front oif my computer until today. Splitters (where I actually was last week) was good in terms of work outcomes - in terms of fishing I couldn't find any of the barrra we know are there but while fishing from canoe one arvo with the old man caught a 51 cm bass on a gold bomber - so that was quite a nice consolation prize!!

Jim Tait up here raiding the barra eh! Looks like some good fish, give me a call next time your up, would be good to go out for a fish.

cheers, Evan

Evan,

hows that pet creek going? Got all the habitat regenerated yet? are the $ there for the fish passage barrier rectification? We ought to check out a couple of those lagoons you've been revegetating in a bit more detail i.e. with rods in hand - will give a call next time I'm up (end of May or thereabouts) - Jim

Jim,
    Projects going well, but so much more to do, confident of finding dollars for fish barrier.

Just came back from canoe trips in Tully region, probably 120 fish in 2 days, unbelievable, mostly sooties with biggest to 42cm, few jacks, JP's and one small barra. All released but awesome fishing.

Would be good to catch up with you for a fish up here when you're up.

cheers, Evan

Your on mate. I was up there week before last and still found a couple of barra in the lower Burdekin in freshwater lagoons and at tidal interface (Including a couple of keepers). I'm back up again at the end of this week for WetlandCare's Wetland Seminar - so perhaps after work? - Jim

PS the Tully sounds great (it usually is) - I can feel a Herbert River drift coming on too!

So tell me fella`s...I have heard people rave about Barra as a table fish....is this true...cause i have never tried it....

Cheers Mick

It really depends on whether the barra was caught in the wild.. ie. salt or impoundment. The best chew is wild barra hands down and I rate it about par with snapper.

I am sure others will comment on this one.
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Mick,

Despite what self proclaimed experts might say in knocking barra as table fish - I still rekon their one of the best fish feeds going. As Roydsy says though it depends where they come from - freshwater fish out of impoundments or landlocked lagoons get fatty and a bit of a weedy taste - however even these can be prepared for a pretty good feed by choosong the right sized fish (~58-75 cm) bleeding the catch fresh and cutting fillets thinly so that fat drains out of them as they cook.

Out of the salt or flowing freshwater they're delicious - cooked anyway - but a light beer batter or egg and bread crumbs are my favourite. They are a bit of a oily fish with the fat distributed through the flesh - some don't like it prefering 'drier' reef fish -personally I still reakon they're up near the top (Mangrove jack and Coral trout can sometimes better them), one of the other plusess about barra is the fact that they keep well frozen - while some fish rapidily deterioate in quality when frozen, barra maintain most of their qualities even aften some time in the freezer, which is good if you only get to get a feed of them occasionally and want to keep a stash for 'ron (fresh is still best naturally!).

Regards - Jim