Thread: Brunswick help

Brunswick help

Would like to try offshore from brunswick. I have a 4.55m sea jay with a 50hp yamaha. what is the bar at brunswick like? if anyone could help me out with some tips and maybe some marks it would be really appreciated.

would also like some tips on fishing the river. have only fished nth/sth wall previously and have caught jewies and other species off both. never fished by boat before.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Re: Brunswick help

Fishing the river is a real art there mate. Seriosuly. Most give up believeing here's nothing to catch, but the right bait, right spot, right time and bream bigger than I've seen ANYWHERE can be caught.

Mangrove Jacks hang around th mouth of the boat harbor, and kingfish and trevally sometimes come in large numbers at the top of the tide.

The Bar, make sure the boat insurace is paid, the life insurance and you feel brave. the bar started to fill in manyyears back and has never been cleared. Two mates have lost boats there, and if you stop in at the co-op, you can see a sfew series of pictures a mate took of trawlers getting cleaned up. At least 4 that I've seen have come to greif.

It's a short bar, just a few waves, but it's unpredictable, and sharp.

Assuming you get out (and in decent weather of course you will), the "local" reef is very close by. Just a few kilokmeters nth.
    I'm sorry I have no GPS ideas at all, I've never been big on the outside ordeal.

Another (possibly better) plan would be to launch the boat at Byron Bay. Good hard sand ramp, safe entrance to teh sea, and close by to reefs etc.

Bruns. local reef fairly fires good fish but. Nice mackeral and good snapper mainly.

The local blokes are all gems, and I'm sure if you get onto anyone who fishes outside there they'll set you right.
    In fact a bloke called Robbie Dunn will get you onto someone that'll help I'm sure. He varies between owning a second hand shop to a fishing shop etc.. but mainly seaking has lived at Bruns since at least when I was 12/13 years old. (30 odd years back). He's a great bloke who never goes outide but what goes on in Bruns regarding fishing that he isn't aware of, just isn't worth knowing. Just ask anyone in anything that resembles a bait shop where you can find Robbie and you'll be right.
    Don't be backward in asking.

cheers
    rob
    cheers
    rob

start by only attempting to cross the bar on an incoming tide, on a small swell.this is a great surf spot, need i say more? wait inside the bar and watch someone else first..... wait in the hole where the wave fades out, wait for a lul and give it heaps ALWAYS go to the left. if you make it your one of the lucky few...........
    note of caution comming back in the bar.....the rivermouth is small and alot of water moves out quickly making waves stand up and dirty big sick pits of barrells come from nowhere??? just follow the biggest meanest one in and freak out at the one behind you Ahhhhhhh you think your home safe??? NO you get still waves inside the rivermouth be real carefull with these little suckers..
    goodluck and insure your boat if your not real good with reading the waves cause you will need it!

If you are going fishing off Brunswick check out the closed zones from Brunswick running south to Lennox Head not much is left
    Re the bar I have crossed it many times and yes extreme caution is needed a big hart and good insurance the fishing is good on the northern reefs
    good luck

Listen to the guys who know this bar,

I have never crossed it, but have seen a few nearly come to grief there, I have been hanging to give Windara Bank a go, but not sure of your bar.

Like Capt. catty said, I saw a bloke come in there one day, nearly got into BIG trouble on the bar itself, only to nearly get rolled 100 mtrs down the river.

I prefer Ballina ( only because it's what I know)

Muzz

The boys comments above just about cover it all. Although I have only been using the bar for the past five years I think the most important point IMO with crossing the bar is 'PATIENCE'. Many times I have been sitting in the 'hole' waiting to jump across the bank and a boat has shot past and got hammered by being to impatient!
    As far as launching at the Pass-Byron, unless you have a beach launch permit you will not be able to launch there. Only members of the Deep Sea Club and a handful of others have them.
    Another little hint, make sure your boat has all the right equipment to satisfy NSW Waterways and know your NSW size and bag limits because now that the Bruns river is part of the Marine Park the MPA officers (most of whom are now sanctioned by Waterways and Fisheries) have been very active in the river and at sea the past month or so.
    I have a sneaky suspition its because the mackerel have been good and a few boats may have been seen catching way over their bag limits.
    Rob the photos you mention hanging in the co-op are awesome, I still go in there just to give myself a reminder to be careful!
    Captain bloody Catty, how the hell are ya? Hope Coffs is treating you good. Mate you havent been missing much-spaniards, spots, blacks and Wahoo, thats all!! Seriuosly mate I hope you are going well down there.
    If any of you anglers down there around Coffs need a good decky 'Catty' is your man!

Cheers
    Last edited by mono; 05-03-2007 at 09:30 PM.
    "May your ratchet keep screamin"
    www.ausfish.com.au/bpc

Never crossed the bar myself but a good mate of mine has for many many years. He is of the opinion that all the boats that get smashed there, and yes, many do, all start their run too early. Apparently, and don't quote me on this, you have to motor right into the washing machine of waves right near the end of the walls. Sit there in the slop and wait. Then, when you think it is time, unlike other bars, don't go out at a nice steady pace, just gun the f*** out of your boat and hope you make it!!

So, everyone, who wants to bet, weather or not siminikish will attempt the bar? I think the poor bugger is prob. scared s**tless. But don't fear mate, my apprentice has crossed the bar many times....in what you ask.....a 5mtr. centre console offshore boat? or maybe even just a 4.8 mtr runabout....no guys, he crosses the bar, in a PUNT.....and a car topper at that, then procedes to run out to Julian rocks!!! All this with a 6hp motor.....imagine being 17 again!!

Bugger that.

Muzz

There you go - its not how big it is, its how u use it !!
    Last edited by cammac; 06-03-2007 at 08:42 PM.

another really good tip, follow mono......apparently he loves that!!!!

thankyou very much for your help everyone

i have a mark from a hotspots book it is called 28 fathom
    lat-28.31.600 long-153.41.250

can anyone comment about this mark or perhaps help me with some different areas
    cheers

Hi Sean, mate I dont mind anglers following me over the bar, its just when they try and overtake you on the bar!! As you know its a very narrow entrance and in a bigger boat its a little hard to manouver as someone over takes you then cuts across to the north- right across my bow- this has happened a couple of times. I have a 'duty of care' for my clients on board and should not have to put them at risk by someone elses stupidity.
    Having said that 99.8% of fellow boaties are really responsible and are well aware of the dangers involved with Bruns bar.
    Siminikish that mark doesnt ring a bell but the fishing out in front of the Country Club is good at the moment, spanish and spots.
    If you want to know the bar conditions the night before you come down give me a call and I'll try and help.
    Cheers
    "May your ratchet keep screamin"
    www.ausfish.com.au/bpc

I was planning on using bruns river as a launching place to get the julian rocks for a dive but after reading the comments above I think I will give it a miss.
    I will get a bit more experience before trying it.

He Mono I saw your spot on hook line and sinker a while ago. good stuff