Thread: Sporting Mullet

Sporting Mullet

I have decided to get a bit more sporting at my local creek so I have sized down to 1kg leader on the 4 weight. In two 1 hour sessions I landed 8 mullet, 1 talapia and one very irate eel. Also got busted off a few times by unstopables. The two biggest mullet going 800g and 650g (getting closer to the magical 1kg mark)
    There was also something smashing bait on the surface and flicking up little squirts of water in the process. I thought maybe tarpon or bream if anyone has a thought.

Cheers Dave.

Re: Sporting Mullet

I"m sure Tarpon always leave a few small bubbles on the surface after they smack & bream make a kissing sound.
    Can you give me some tips as I'm keen to get my first mullet on fly.
    ie, what sort of places should I try?
    bread fly? burley? ect ect.
    Last edited by Mike Delisser; 05-03-2007 at 07:34 PM.

Sounds like great sessions and great spot Dave did they give u some stick on 1kg ?
    what fly and did u use a floating or inter line?
    cheers
    Cam

I make my own mullet flies, really simple but not too sure it is really a fly, just an itsy bitsy hook and a piece of polystyrene, works a treat if used with some bread burley

M62 - They were almost definately feeding bream then, Have caught a fair few down there so it is very likely. The trick is finding them ( PM me) and keeping them interested. I normally buy a cheap loaf of bread or use old stuff and berley until they start feeding, Then as that berley has disappeared or been eaten I throw out a couple of larger pieces which I cast about a foot to the side of. I catch all my mullet as the fly sinks out of sight, Using only a metre or so leader you just have to watch the end of your flyline for the strikes which are normally very short and fast.
    Cammac - I'm using a floating weight forward line and In the fluoro colour to see the strikes easier. I would rate them right up there in the fighting stakes (There are mullet fishing clubs all around the world) I think luck is going to play a big factor if I am ever to get a big fish away from the snags. Still getting used to the 1kg string.
    I have tied all sorts of flies for mullet but the one which works best for me isn't technically a fly at all. Just a piece of cotton wool on a size 8 Mustad Needle sneck. Hope that helps out.

Cheers Dave.
    Last edited by fishphile; 05-03-2007 at 01:12 PM.

I heard there were some big mullet in the lake at Boondall Entertainment Centre so I turned up on quiet midweek arvo and started to throw in some bread. Huge mullet came from everywhere then so did the ducks & geese. I was thinking how can cast with all the birds when as soon as I got my fly rod out of the tube they all buggered off quick smart, they must have had some bad history there.
    Anyway my fingers were shaking as I tied on a bread fly when a groundsman on a quad bike pulled up behind me and said there was no fishing permitted here. I said if that's the case where are the signs, he then pointed 30 feet up a gum tree to a NO FISFING sign. He told me they had to put the sign up there because the "DAMM FISHERMEN" keep ripping them down.
    Go figure
    Mike

Mike, i worked on the site at the Boondall Entertainment centre from the start to the finish. (Around 1982)
    As such i am probably partly responsible for some of the mullet in the lakes there.
    I would quite offten see huge schools of small mullet trying to get up stream and of course they couldn't because of the rock weirs built there. These fish were only 2 to 3 inches long and i would scoop them up and deposit them into the lake above. Must have moved thousands into both the lakes as the top lake was the first one finished.
    The council also stocked the lakes with spangled perch and council staff in the little building at the top lake (goes out over the water) would feed the fish daily.
    Don't know just what the go is down there now as it is many years since i have been there.
    But i can tell you it is well known for it mullet by many fly fisherman. I have never fly fished there but i sometimes fly for mullet in the North Pine below the dam wall in the big long hole that runs down the the Country Markets and there are some really good mullet to be caught there.
    Burley up first with some stale bread and it won't take long. I use a fly that i tied from white deer hair, spun it around the hook and clipped it short, does the trick for me.
    Cheers,
    Obi_Wan.