Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Popping Jigging outfit.

Re: Popping Jigging outfit.

OK, Guys I now have conflicting info.
    I had a chat a tackle shop near my work. Its well known to ausfishers , and the rep there expressed the view that the spheros1200 was a better reel than the 1400. Whats your views on the comparative merits of each reel.?
    Cheers
    rando

Lightbulb Re: Popping Jigging outfit.

Rando, you are after a HEAVY DUTY popping jigging outfit.
    Compare: Spheros,,,,,,,,, 12000 ,,,,,,,,14000
    Retreive per crank .............. 39"..............40"
    Drag Std ........................... 9kg............11kg,,
    Line Cap 20lb mono.......... 265..............350
    Weight gms....................... 805............ 820
    Gear Ratio....................... 4.6:1.......... 4.6:1
    Off the net price............. $ 219........ ..$ 229

Unless the rep had given me a compelling reason in favour of the 12000, If I was buying I'd be spending the extra $ 10.
    Last edited by GPB; 09-03-2007 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks mate, his view was thast the 1200 was a better built reel ,, same as the stella 10 being a better reel than the 20???( in his opinion)
    I dont know any of these reels so I cant give an opinion .
    Suffice to say I asked WHY,,,, it was about then that a client walked in and i had to hang up, so i didnt get an answer.
    if you own or have used these reels ie stella 10 ,20 spheros 12-14 I am interested in your view.
    rando

Question Re: Popping Jigging outfit.

My favourite jigging setup is the Stella 20000 with a T-Curve 400 loaded with 70lb Jigman Braid. I have a heavier out fit as in a Accurate Twinspin 30 that I had on a GH 30-80 Samurai 6' but found the 6:1 ratio was a killer on me [just jigging] not the fish. The reel is now on holidays in NZ chasing Y/T Kings on a T-C 400 [more balanced] and I now have a Stella 8000 on the GH rod with 50lb braid, which I hope to christen on Sunday with some mixed reef and med sized ambo's.
    The diferance between the Stella 20000 [jigging] and the 10000 [popping] is gear ratio and Spool size.
    We started jigging with Accurate 665 [another top reel] overhead reels on T-C 400's but found spin reels much easier, they are now Red Emp rigs.
    These are my opinions only from my experiances over the last 4-5 years as in what suits me and my 56yo frame, catching good snapper, pp, tuna and ambo's up to 22kg. I think the shop rep must have a popping opinion.
    I believe the Spheros [upgraded] 14000 on a T-C 400 is a good value rig.
    Horses for Coarses
    PS. I have no opinion on Saltigas [sound very good] because I havn't tried one, although I did do a little bit of homework on the Burst Before I bought the Stella 8000.
    I seem to always go for Shimano. I them.
    Last edited by GPB; 10-03-2007 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rando View Post
    Thanks mate, his view was thast the 1200 was a better built reel ,, same as the stella 10 being a better reel than the 20???( in his opinion)
    I dont know any of these reels so I cant give an opinion .
    Suffice to say I asked WHY,,,, it was about then that a client walked in and i had to hang up, so i didnt get an answer.
    if you own or have used these reels ie stella 10 ,20 spheros 12-14 I am interested in your view.
    rando
    Hi Rando,

I have owned just about every reel on the market for popping. I have used each extensively and have caught very decent fish on each.

Despite allegiances and all that, i would never turn on the Stella series. They are favoured and most popular popping reel amongst the GT fraternity in Japan. That tells you something.

I regards to this bloke who gave you the advice, perhaps he meant specifications wise....he likes the faster retrieve ratio of the 10k to the slower of the 20k, or the casting spool of the 10k. Regardless, they are both great reels which can both be used for popping. Some people like the powerful retrieve ratio and large capacity of the 20k wheras some like the higher gear ratio and better casting performance of the 10k. It is totally up to the angler, no one is necessarily better. Today, i usually have 1 10k and 20k rigged up with different type poppers.

It was only last week that i was using big chuggers and high speed pencils/stickbaits on the same 20k reel.

The Spheros provides a great option for someone wanting to 'test the water' in regards to popping. They are great value and performance for money. Although i strictly adhere by the 'best of the best' for this sport (targeting the biggest of GTs), i do encourage beginners to start out with this kind of gear before they go spluring thousands! In this sport you need to have money, time and determination...and it's not everyday that you see super-sized GTs, you will start to develop the knowledge and drive to find the bigger ones after you get some experience....if you don't it isn't worth getting into. However, if you know you are already hooked...definately get the Stella upfront.

I hope my rant has answered your questions.
    Last edited by Luke Wyrsta; 10-03-2007 at 10:52 AM.

All Gold Luke!!!./GPB/Banshee.
    Thanks
    My thinking exactly, I will be shopping for a speros 14 as an entry ,then see where it goes from there.
    You guys have been so helpful, Many manyThanks!!!
    rando

All Gold Luke!!!./GPB/Banshee.
    Thanks
    My thinking exactly, I will be shopping for a speros 14 as an entry ,then see where it goes from there.
    You guys have been so helpful, Many manyThanks!!!
    rando
    No dramas mate. Drop me a line anytime if you need help.

OK, Guys I now have conflicting info.
    I had a chat a tackle shop near my work. Its well known to ausfishers , and the rep there expressed the view that the spheros1200 was a better reel than the 1400. Whats your views on the comparative merits of each reel.?
    Cheers
    rando
    Hi rando, as far as I know the body is the same, you can purchase a 12000 spool and put it on the 14000 or vice versa.

Cheers

Reading the Schematics of both, they have different bodys as in 1200 is smaller, different spools but same internals.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Wyrsta View Post
    The best advice given here for your budget would be the Shimano Spheros.

It can output around 10kg of drag pressure straight out of the box, but as has been mentioned you could consider upgrading the washers.

I would recommend using 50lb braid (not mono) for both jigging and popping...with the setup you are using, this line class would be ideal. All you are sacrificing is diameter (abraision resistance), any higher line class would be overkill for such an outfit (but not totally out of the question).

If you plan to use the same reel for both jigging and popping i would recommend the slower 4.6:1 retreive ratio of the Spheros. Despite being slower, you can still get those poppers moving pretty fast to induce strikes from GTs. The ratio is ideal for jigging.

Good luck!
    My turn for a beef ...

I have just purchased a saltist 30th 6.4:1 gear ratio because I wanted an overhead reel specifically for jigging. The daiwa site actually states that this reel partiuclar reel with this ratio is designed with jigging in mind. I read others on this site and other forum sites also state that 6.4:1 is also preferred for jigging. Even the shop dealer who sold me the reel agrees with this statement.

Now, I read in this thread that 4.6:1 is the IDEAL ratio for jigging.

I heavily rely on all your great input for my purchases and actions - and also understand we all have different opions with differnet methods of fishing, but soemtimes I feel dismayed when I read the differnet opinions and ask myself - have I screwed up and purchased the wrong reel?

Thoughts?

Splash

Splash,
    I am still by no means an expert but I think it has more to do with the action you impart to the jig rather than flat out speed.
    All you gurus feel free to confirm or otherwise.
    Cheers

Thansk Rando.

WHy do people refer to "the ideal jigging ratio" then?

What is the ideal taper/build for a jig stick to achieve the best action needed for jigging?

Splash

Still too low on the learning curve to asist you Splash, The helpful blokes who originally answered my queries may come to your assistance ,or give one of them a PM.