Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use carp fillets for bait outside?

Re: Anyone use carp fillets for bait outside?

Quote Originally Posted by _Dan_ View Post
    I think this is a Gee up...
    Yeah methinks someone who dug a hole for himself is now getting deeper. C'm on JoshvL, do you really expect us to believe that someone would risk their business (which to some extent depends on knowledge of fisheries legislation) by buying something that is prohibited, and then further risk it by selling that something? Are they really that ignorant of fisheries legislation?

Do they label the stuff as carp when they sell it? Are all fishos round your way as ignorant of the law as you and your "fishing stores"?

I find it particularly strange that in another thread you say, "I used to work for fisheries". If that is so, how come you're so ignorant of the law in regards to carp?

Mate, if what you say is true, then I despair..............I really don't know who is the more stupid, the fishing stores, or us, if we believe you.

kev
    Last edited by kingtin; 02-03-2007 at 09:22 AM.

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Yeah methinks someone who dug a hole for himself is now getting deeper. C'm on JoshvL, do you really expect us to believe that someone would risk their business (which to some extent depends on knowledge of fisheries legislation) by buying something that is prohibited, and then further risk it by selling that something? Are they really that ignorant of fisheries legislation?

Do they label the stuff as carp when they sell it? Are all fishos round your way as ignorant of the law as you and your "fishing stores"?

I find it particularly strange that in another thread you say, "I used to work for fisheries". If that is so, how come you're so ignorant of the law in regards to carp?

Mate, if what you say is true, then I despair..............I really don't know who is the more stupid, the fishing stores, or us, if we believe you.

kev

Kev,

I'm not going to name names in regards to who is selling the carp fillets as "carp fillets", and in regards to me working for Fisheries, I worked for DAFF not AFMA or DPI so i was not aware of the laws that were put in place for the use of carp. As i said before i stand corrected and wont be using carp fillets again, I was merely asking if others use them as i have heard from other people that they do. I will also be speaking to the fishing shops i have supplied to and ensure it isnt sold anymore. As for me being ignorant of fisheries laws, i take strong offence to it as i dont take illegal fish, i always have a license and the bait and methods i use are totally above board. As for the shops selling it, maybe they are ignorant to the fact and havent researched it obviosuly as well as you have. This is one instance of where i had no idea there was a law against using carp fillets.

Quote Originally Posted by _Dan_ View Post
    I think this is a Gee up...

And what makes it a gee up? I asked a simple question not knowing it wasnt right and have not been corrected by anyone else besides the people that obviously know better... the people on this board.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshvL View Post
    Kev,

I'm not going to name names in regards to who is selling the carp fillets as "carp fillets", and in regards to me working for Fisheries, I worked for DAFF not AFMA or DPI so i was not aware of the laws that were put in place for the use of carp. As i said before i stand corrected and wont be using carp fillets again, I was merely asking if others use them as i have heard from other people that they do. I will also be speaking to the fishing shops i have supplied to and ensure it isnt sold anymore. As for me being ignorant of fisheries laws, i take strong offence to it as i dont take illegal fish, i always have a license and the bait and methods i use are totally above board. As for the shops selling it, maybe they are ignorant to the fact and havent researched it obviosuly as well as you have. This is one instance of where i had no idea there was a law against using carp fillets.
    Josh, I apologise if I come across as somewhat harsh but I hope you can understand why I and Dan may well think this is a gee up. It is so naive as to be almost unbelievable. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can remain in business selling fishing gear and not be knowledgeable of fishing regs.............not just one store, but more, as you used the plural I don't know much about the regs where you are but in Qld you need a licence to sell fish.

Your statement:

"As for me being ignorant of fisheries laws, i take strong offence to it as i dont take illegal fish, i always have a license and the bait and methods i use are totally above board."

I'm sorry you feel that way and I'm sorry that I didn't express myself in a more charitable manner but although you may feel that you have a right to be indignant, the truth of the matter is that you are ignorant of at least some of the fishery regs as are the fishing stores buying off you, unless they are just plain dishonest. It should therefore follow that if you are ignorant in this area, you may well not be as conversant with the regs as you think you are and may also transgress in other areas. I say this not as an admonishment but simply to make a point so that you do not land yourself in serious trouble as you may well have done by selling the carp and publicising the fact on an open forum............I'm simply saying that we should all be careful and not be blase in thinking that we are fully conversant with the regs.

I've made mistakes before by fishing in excess of the rod limit. I posted that I had as many as 6 rods out at a time (trying different baits and rigs) and it was members of this site that pointed out my mistake when I was a newbie here. I am grateful to them for that because it could've cost me a hefty fine or even the loss of my boat and they were quite pleasant in their manner of drawing it to my attention. At that time I pledged that I would be as conversant as possible with the regs in order to safeguard my gear and my reputation in the eyes of my family. No doubt I will err again, as I am far from perfect. Several times I have forgotten to cut the fin off reefies and fisheries have brought this to my attention without legal recourse so I suppose I have been as lucky as you have

Sorry if I sound a bit pompous about this matter but on many other sites you would have come in for a heap of ridicule and hassle and I don't want you to get that kind of impression of this site.

If you think hard about it, you will see that it is quite understandable that anyone who believes in the "professionalism" of the tackle trade would think it suss if someone said that very same trade was selling a noxious species as bait and even more suss if those in that trade were to claim ignorance of the regs when they are in an industry that should depend on being conversant with those regs. How the hell can they pass on the correct knowledge to their customer base when they are ignorant themselves?

hope this clears things up

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Josh, I apologise if I come across as somewhat harsh but I hope you can understand why I and Dan may well think this is a gee up. It is so naive as to be almost unbelievable. I cannot for the life of me understand how anyone can remain in business selling fishing gear and not be knowledgeable of fishing regs.............not just one store, but more, as you used the plural I don't know much about the regs where you are but in Qld you need a licence to sell fish.

Your statement:

"As for me being ignorant of fisheries laws, i take strong offence to it as i dont take illegal fish, i always have a license and the bait and methods i use are totally above board."

I'm sorry you feel that way and I'm sorry that I didn't express myself in a more charitable manner but although you may feel that you have a right to be indignant, the truth of the matter is that you are ignorant of at least some of the fishery regs as are the fishing stores buying off you, unless they are just plain dishonest. It should therefore follow that if you are ignorant in this area, you may well not be as conversant with the regs as you think you are and may also transgress in other areas. I say this not as an admonishment but simply to make a point so that you do not land yourself in serious trouble as you may well have done by selling the carp and publicising the fact on an open forum............I'm simply saying that we should all be careful and not be blase in thinking that we are fully conversant with the regs.

I've made mistakes before by fishing in excess of the rod limit. I posted that I had as many as 6 rods out at a time (trying different baits and rigs) and it was members of this site that pointed out my mistake when I was a newbie here. I am grateful to them for that because it could've cost me a hefty fine or even the loss of my boat and they were quite pleasant in their manner of drawing it to my attention. At that time I pledged that I would be as conversant as possible with the regs in order to safeguard my gear and my reputation in the eyes of my family. No doubt I will err again, as I am far from perfect. Several times I have forgotten to cut the fin off reefies and fisheries have brought this to my attention without legal recourse so I suppose I have been as lucky as you have

Sorry if I sound a bit pompous about this matter but on many other sites you would have come in for a heap of ridicule and hassle and I don't want you to get that kind of impression of this site.

If you think hard about it, you will see that it is quite understandable that anyone who believes in the "professionalism" of the tackle trade would think it suss if someone said that very same trade was selling a noxious species as bait and even more suss if those in that trade were to claim ignorance of the regs when they are in an industry that should depend on being conversant with those regs. How the hell can they pass on the correct knowledge to their customer base when they are ignorant themselves?

hope this clears things up

kev

Hey Kev,

Thankyou for clearing this up for me and i do thank everyone on this board who stood up and said it is illegal, I do understand why you said i was ignorant and the way you have put it, i guess i agree with you. I am learning more and more every day about fishing and I also like to teach others that i take with me, hoping they pick up the same enthusiasm i have for it. I guess the reason why i took such offence to your statement is due to me thinking i knew the regulations and to have one of my practices shot down as it is illegal was a bit of a shock. My apologies to yourself and others on the board if i have come accross as ignorant, as i do try not to be and am always open to others help.
    I have spoken to 2 of the shops that have been selling the fillets and they have assured me they will take it out of the freezer and dispose of it.

take care
    Josh

Quote Originally Posted by JoshvL View Post
    Hey Kev,

Thankyou for clearing this up for me and i do thank everyone on this board who stood up and said it is illegal, I do understand why you said i was ignorant and the way you have put it, i guess i agree with you. I am learning more and more every day about fishing and I also like to teach others that i take with me, hoping they pick up the same enthusiasm i have for it. I guess the reason why i took such offence to your statement is due to me thinking i knew the regulations and to have one of my practices shot down as it is illegal was a bit of a shock. My apologies to yourself and others on the board if i have come accross as ignorant, as i do try not to be and am always open to others help.
    I have spoken to 2 of the shops that have been selling the fillets and they have assured me they will take it out of the freezer and dispose of it.

take care
    Josh
    And my apologies too Josh. Tight lines mate.

kev

Just to stir things up a bit more I went fishing once with a guy who bought along Tillapia fillets for bait on a reef fishing trip. Not the best bait but we did get some nice nannygai (Scarlet sea perch) on them.

Wazza

P.S. We did not release any of the fillets we didn't use. The last thing we want is a marauding school of Tillapia fillets roaming the Great Barrier Reef.