Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use carp fillets for bait outside?

Anyone use carp fillets for bait outside?

As title suggests, does anyone use carp fillets for bait out in the open water?

I use them when im down the coast and always seem to catch some nice snapper and flathead off them. I'm lucky in canberra, there is a massive over abundance of them in our lakes. I also brine them and store them frozen in tuna oil, then sell them to friends and some fishing stores!

Re: Anyone use carp fillets for bait outside?

Are you allowed to actually use the fillets for bait, i thought that was against regulations to use them for bait?
    Not enough time in the day, to many spots to fish!

Quote Originally Posted by roydsy View Post
    Are you allowed to actually use the fillets for bait, i thought that was against regulations to use them for bait?

Nah its not illegal to use the fillets as bait. It is if you use them as live bait though. As long as there is no eggs left in or near the water there is no problems. I do know carp eggs can survive for up to 7 years dormant with no water!

It Is Illegal

From the DPI website - It is illegal to use them dead ie. fillets in Queensland waters

Noxious fish Please report any sightings of noxious fish to DPI&F on 13 25 23.
    People must not possess noxious fish or keep, hatch, rear, sell, consign or place them in any container.
    Tilapia, carp and gambusia are some of the declared species of noxious fish. Along with other noxious and non-indigenous fish, they must not be released into Queensland waters or be used as bait, either live or dead.
    After they are caught, all noxious fish must immediately be killed and must not be returned to the water. Noxious fish compete with native

AND it is also illegal to sell your catch in both New South Wales and Queensland.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeannP View Post
    From the DPI website - It is illegal to use them dead ie. fillets in Queensland waters

Noxious fish Please report any sightings of noxious fish to DPI&F on 13 25 23.
    People must not possess noxious fish or keep, hatch, rear, sell, consign or place them in any container.
    Tilapia, carp and gambusia are some of the declared species of noxious fish. Along with other noxious and non-indigenous fish, they must not be released into Queensland waters or be used as bait, either live or dead.
    After they are caught, all noxious fish must immediately be killed and must not be returned to the water. Noxious fish compete with native

I stand corrected. Is this just for QLD or Australia wide?

i spose use them as livies haha... i always thought carp were fresh water mayb i am mistaken for a different fish

Quote Originally Posted by snapperm8 View Post
    i spose use them as livies haha... i always thought carp were fresh water mayb i am mistaken for a different fish
    They are a fresh water fish, but i have heard they can survive in salt water for a small amount of time. Hence i'd say why you can't use them as bait.

hello, dont think so!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! cheers alex

Fishing stores buy 'em off you????????????

<sigh>

kev

See my breeder fish photography here: https://kevindickinsonfineartphot.sm...opical-Fish-2/
    Quality digital copies free to Ausfishers............use as wallpaper or can be printed......size up to 20 x16. PM for details.

Yep another big *sigh* on selling the berley.

Quote Originally Posted by kingtin View Post
    Fishing stores buy 'em off you????????????

<sigh>

kev

Yeah they do, thats why i find it strange. I'll have to go and have a chat with them about it and not sell them anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by JoshvL View Post
    Yeah they do, thats why i find it strange. I'll have to go and have a chat with them about it and not sell them anymore.
    Do they know its carp?

If they do then they could be in some serious fisheries trouble. I see the point of catching carp to put them to good use, but it must be illegal for some logical reason.... ie. the eggs can still survive, who really knows.

All I know is keep catching the buggers and kill them all, every little bit helps out natives.

I think this is a Gee up...