Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gold Coast seaway

Question Gold Coast seaway

G'day, a few friends and I are heading to the seaway, I'll be using SP's, poppers and slugs and they will be using bait. We will be targeting bream, flathead, trevs etc. Hoping to arriver there at about 7am
    Just curious on a few things as we have never fished there before, will we need a long gaff? is it safe for kids?
    Is there any other things we should know about?

Thanks in advanced, Mick.

Re: Gold Coast seaway

I take it you will be fishing off the rocks and not in a boat? Just watch the rollers coming in if you're out near the end of the wall with the kids. Other than that landing fish is the only difficulty, the rocks are pretty easy too move around on, I prefer to use a long handle landing net. Try to fish an hour either side of a tide change so that the current is ripping through there too much. Good luck

Thanks Murph77, yes I will be on the rocks (sorry I was ment to say that) How long is a long landing net? mine is like 1m

yeah mick i think he'd mean a few metres at least. you'd want a net a little more than a metre at the seaway, especially on a rough day. but as he said, if you keep an eye on the swell you should be ok.

cuzza

Quote Originally Posted by Murph77 View Post
    I take it you will be fishing off the rocks and not in a boat? Just watch the rollers coming in if you're out near the end of the wall with the kids. Other than that landing fish is the only difficulty, the rocks are pretty easy too move around on, I prefer to use a long handle landing net. Try to fish an hour either side of a tide change so that the current is ripping through there too much. Good luck
    Like most breakwalls...

I just got back into fishing after a 15 years absence, and bought some estuary gear for myself and my 9-11 year old little girles, a yabby pump and some other gear, hit the Tallebudgera river (First from BCF west burleigh, then straight out to the flats @ low tide )

I'm at Nerang, went back home and picked up the kids and head down to the broadwater and we tossed a line for a few hours, didn't score much, 2 little bream we chucked back, but a decent sized Flathead, and my 11 yo girlie landed a nice Taylor of all things.

Might hit the breakwall at the spit ourselves, yabbies. What's the best bet there, floats or dragging the hook along the bottom? Wouldn't mind picking up some nice bream.

What you guys reckon?

Hey Rogersto are you still heading out there? I am on sunday morning if the wind and swell isnt to bad.

Does anyone know of better locations around that area (landbase)? if the weather isnt any good

Cheers, Mick.

Contemplating an early sat morning, perhaps a sunday morning too

Nerang River about 45 min out from the top of the tide, 500 m downstream from the M1 overpass bridge was a major *SUCK* - all we got were friggin toadies and that's it.

If the weather's a bit suss, I'd say anywhere around the Seaway and foreshores either side should be a reasonable bet unless we get a major downpour.

Again went for the pump'n'suck at Tallebudgera this arvo for a good haul of yabbies, definetly my fav. spot, can't help but think that one should be able to pick up Flathead, Whiting and Bream in an area like that on the top end of the tide which is quite abundant with nippers and those funny little blue crabs at the bottoms of the tide.

Comments here from the experts?

hi Murph 77, what footwear, if any, do you use when moving around on the rocks?

I found even the above water line ones were fairly slippery for my bare feet and Colorado sandals

silly as it sounds, rick k, I've always worn good quality runners and tread carefully on them rocks.. they can get a bit slippery but with 12ft of rod, I can get a decent cast although getting down there with the net when landing something decent can indeed be tricky.

have fun, don t hurt yourself though....

Do many big fish get taken off the seaway...
    I know tailor,trevally,small yellowtail kings etc are caught off the seaway but is it a producer of longtails and Mackeral land based...?
    I never hear of many big fish being caught off there.....I have only fished it a handfull of times

Ill let you guys know how I go tomorrow morning, A mate and I are keen to hit it with the SP's and fresh bait. The wind is looking good for an early start. Ill be there around 7 ish if you want to meet up with us rogersto?

Cheers, Mick.

used live nippers there this morning, heaps of little toadies around, but not much else. Doubt whether I'll be wasting my time there tomorrow. Got there 7;30am it was running pretty hard with the incoming tide until the turn of the email around 9'ish.

One diver after another coming back has told me that visibility is average, and there's not a great deal of fish around, heaps of colourful littlies and not much else

Was up on the end of the breakwall and didn't score much, and moved on down to the pipe outlet (where the scuba divers like to launch off).

Further upstream scored some little bream I've chucked back and the missus scored a tiny whiting which she tossed back

there is plenty of bigger fish there that are pretty smart. heaps of big luderick and painted sweeties also trevors and big bream. but ive only seen them when snorkeling along the wall but they seem real tough to catch though have hardly seen any of those bigguns caught of there.
    good luck mate they are there but you'll have to work for them

they're probably few and far between also.

That concrete platform is very popular for scuba divers and snorkellers to take-off from too (and TOS surfers to come back to on the incoming tide).

Interesting chat with a lass from San Diego way (USA) who was scuba diving here (and has been for the past 9 months). Inshore she comments that (compared to back home) there's a lot less bigger fish here (6-7in+) than back home, although we have prettier & more diverse fish species here).

Interesting.

Fun morning though even though we didnt catch much....

Yep you were right rogersto it was a waist of time! ;P thank god we took the towels and went for a swim

Mick.