Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gold Coast seaway

Re: Gold Coast seaway

had a good laugh with our next door neighbour, 76yo young and an old hand who has lived here for 35 years. Didn't want to spoil our enthusiasm but enlightened us of the fact that the seaway breakwall is one of the worst fishing spots on the coast. Divers might see some fish here and there, but you don't catch much there except for once in a blue moon.... I tend to agree. Live yabbies, one would think that or beach worms would win every time.

He wasnt surprised we scored near the Biggera Creek mouth at Biggera Waters last weekend (Sunday) though, despite the boat traffic coming so close.

He reckons the Gold Coast isn't crash hot as far as fishing's concerned especially landbased. Owning a boat opens up lots of options even if it's a litle tinnie to buzzfart around our extensive network of canals and stuff.

Reckons an hour either side of high tide around the banks of tallebudgera creek between downstream of the M1 and the Gold Coast Hwy overpass and Currumbin Creek supposedly is reasonably consistent for whiting, flathead and bream, so that's where I'll be concentrating my efforts to see how I go in the coming weeks.
    Last edited by rogersto; 05-03-2007 at 02:57 AM.

Haha good on ya mate, to make things worse I didnt realize that is was Australia Clean Up Day and there were divers everywhere (good on them for doing there bit to help oz)!

Mick.

Hey Rogersto I wouldnt hold my hopes up of catchin too much in the tallebudgera. I have virtually fished from the M1 bridge back to the GC highway bridge without much luck at all over the last few years. Although the yabbie pumpin sessions are well worth the effort.

Where do you catch fish around here? This has got to be the one of the worst places for fishing I've lived in the past 20 years.

Moved here last year from Port Macquarie, like here sand flats with yabby holes galore at low tide, but there's actually fish to be caught in there, especially up towards limeburners' off the Shoreline Dve bridge, and in the mangroves.

Common to get flathead, whiting and flounder, here... jack shit !

Wonder if Currumbin's worth the effort then? great surfing spot, have seen some decent sized fish in the clear water surfing....

Surely you guys are just trying to get a bite!!!! Maybe you are just cra* Fishermen....there you go theres your first!

hi guys ,i wouldnt say its a waste of time i nailed these two 40cm+ black bream in the middle of the day.

try fishing on the tide change when theres no current

Arrow Re: Gold Coast seaway

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Surely you guys are just trying to get a bite!!!! Maybe you are just cra* Fishermen....there you go theres your first!
    don't know about 84mick, but I was getting plenty of bites, but seems mostly of little ones nibbling away at the bait. I could see the little toadies chasing after it, reeling it in.

shin25, what were u using for bait there, and looking at the overhead reel, am I right assuming you were fishing off a boat rather than landbased? (which could explain a lot).

Sat. morning I was out there from about 45min before high tide to around 30 min after. No kidding I could cast out the same yabby 3-4 times with hardly a nibble most times, but later on moving upstream around the corner to the sandbanks at the end (facing seaworld), got a little bit more action, but not much.

the 2 local fellas sitting out middle in their tinny using beachworms didn't fare all that much better, one landed a whiting he tossed back.

[quote=rogersto;584921]had a good laugh with our next door neighbour, 76yo young and an old hand who has lived here for 35 years. Didn't want to spoil our enthusiasm but enlightened us of the fact that the seaway breakwall is one of the worst fishing spots on the coast. Divers might see some fish here and there, but you don't catch much there except for once in a blue moon.... I tend to agree. Live yabbies, one would think that or beach worms would win every time.

quote]

Mate I agree.....I reckon the seaway is good for bread & butter species but thats as far as it goes....I know the odd Jew gets caught there but I rckon you would put in HOURS there before you got one.

I got about 2 decent bites and heaps of tiny bite on SPs, My mate aron was using prawns and pillys, he didnt get a touch. There was heaps of boat traffic and divers. I should have gone to Bribie or even Point Cartright (spelling?)
    I was glad to get out of the house and at least wet a line You win some and lose some

Cheers, Mick.

Ausfish Silver Member jackson4300's Avatar

Well for anyone who says that big fish wont go in there, just remember the time when the whales went through the seaway.
    Near the back of sea world, where there are the boat ramps, not to bad there, got a few good flatties and lots good whiting. If you cast far enough there’s a nice drop off near the boat ramps that generally produces some nice bream and stuff.
    And many times when i have been going out or coming back in the boat I have seen mack’s smashing the surface around where the boats moor.
    Also saw a solid jew being gaffed from the rocks as we were heading out.

thanks jackson..

I presume you're talking about the boat ramps just up from there the sea-air rescue base is ... ?

Worth a try....
    Was right across from there off the sand on that headland that comes down from the spit, certainly wasnt much action there apart from some littlies....