Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Had Enough of the South Easters

Re: Had Enough of the South Easters

I find this weather forecast to be quite good you can sign up for free for 12mths and get txt weather forecasts for certain areas for each state.http://www.askhuey.com.au/index.php

Wind gusts can be up to 40% higher than the stated wind speed.

Dave.
    Avast ye matey!

Same old story again this morning. Was at the Clontarf ramp by 5.30 and already the wind was up. Could have launched there but thought 'Why bother?' and went back to Deep Water Bend and launched there instead. Fished the Dohle's Rocks area and later under the bridges (the wind actually eased a bit around 9.00am) for lots of bream and Moses Perch but no keepers. Checked on the prawns up the Pine but could only manage about half a kilo of greasies at 'Stinky Wall'. Nice morning in the river but shame about the wind again.
    Cheers Freeeedom

we here in hervey bay have a lot of wind against tide as soon as you get out the harbour! From the marina to the north of big woody is a true battle, and, is the worst part of your water travels around here, for fraser can usually protect you from most winds (cept west) , but to get to these spots can be a mission in strong se winds!!

Hamish73, Sorry mate, i missed acknowledging your reply.
    If you want to fly your kite and can't get enough wind down Manly way i would suggest you move to Sandgate.
    Every afternoon over the last two or three weeks, when i cross the Hornibrook on the way home, North to South, i see dozens of Kite surfers between Brighton and Sandgate. This afternoon there were only four that i could see, but then again the wind was out of the Northeast, even so they were going like the clappers. I would say that there were a lot still on the beach if thats what you could call it, still to go out as it was still quite early in the afternoon.

Cheers,
    Obi_Wan.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    even so they were going like the clappers. I would say that there were a lot still on the beach if thats what you could call it, still to go out as it was still quite early in the afternoon.

Cheers,
    Obi_Wan.

I mean, really, who was it that actually timed a clapper???????????? I have never seen a clapper, so how do we know they actually go fast????????????????

Mike

Marlin_Mike, Never seen a clapper? i bet you have. A clapper is actually the tongue or striker of a bell.

The phrase, "Going like the clappers" has been around for many many years. The phrase is an idiom, a group of words whose meaning cannot be deduced from those of the individual words (eg. over the moon).
    The dictionary states, clapper noun the tongue or striker of a bell. IDIOMS- like the clappers - very fast or hard.
    So there you have it Mike, Very fast.
    And if you really want to measure it, i would suggest you strap a GPS tracking device to a kite surfers head and monitor it.

Cheers,
    Obi_Wan