Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snyderglas Vs Gary Howard Vs Live Fibre

Re: Snyderglas Vs Gary Howard Vs Live Fibre

Hey Mike

As I said before, i've been through the exact same process as you.

Yes the GH is built on a PPG surf white tip 162 inch. Which is a pacific composites blank, and even Gary himself, told me at the boat show.

Snyder makes an equivalent rod; the mag surf, built on a blank with the same specs.

The only real difference in the two rods (snyder mag surf vs GH surf classic) is in their build, one has a runner on the top part one on the bottom.

Don't know about the custom rod jobs though.

I asked the same question about why shops don't stock many Snyders, and i got the same reply.

Owen

Thanks again to everyone who took the time to reply.

I spent last Saturday running around the Northside to get a price on both. I had already had a look around the Southside at lunchtimes from work.

Snyder Magraphite were hard to find, but there were a few places with GH Surf Classics around. They were all around $210 - $240.

So here's the good part - Northside Marine had a couple for $175. I wasn't sure why there was such a difference in price between there and everywhere else, so I decided to leave it for a bit to make sure the rod I'd seen there was definitely the right one (eg it wasn't an earlier model, not graphite etc).

So I went again today to confirm it was the one I was after, and lo and behold they had a 15% off sale today! So I'm now the proud owner of a very nice rod that's exactly what I'm after, comes recommended, feels great and cost less than $150! I'm bloody stoked

Thanks again, particularly to Rockfisho for persisting in helping me see the light

BTW - I couldn't resist picking up a 12' Live Fibre Spin rod while I was there, for a bargain $135. I'll whack the TSS4 on that - I'll get those surf/rock species one way or the other

Good luck,
    Mike

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/Mike/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]

Well done 2iar, a double bargain! Enjoy!

great buy mate

i hope you enjoy it...

sounds like you got a good buy 2iar. congrats.

just on another note... a lot of smaller tackle shops buy seconds blanks from the synder factory, build them up and then sell them for a lot cheaper price then an "A" grade blank. it is a good idea to ask them if the have used a seconds blank if building it up under there own label. some times these blanks have very little wrong with them and are perfectly fine. some will have curve's/ slight bends and other slight imperfections or even cracks/ chips etc down near the base of the blank. when built up most people wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

I love my snyderglass

So now Im confused, is the GH heavy surfclassic built on a Snyder or PC blank?, so far, in previous posts both have benn claimed as the basis for this rod. Can anyone clarify for me. I am also looking for a new beach rod .
    Thanks
    rando

Thumbs up Re: Snyderglas Vs Gary Howard Vs Live Fibre

GH [Australian Rod Manufacturers] uses both Snyderglas and Pacific Composites blanks in his surf rods. The Surf Classic is 13'6" 8-12kg white tip graphite composite, you can't go wrong with that.

Hi

The GH heavy surf classic, is built on the same kind of blank as the regular surf classic, just a heavier style. It's a Pacific Composites blank aswell..

rockfisho

Yep, it did get confusing for a while there.

The Surf Classic, according to every tackle shop who actually knew, is a PC blank. As has already been pointed out, the mix-up arises from the fact that GH does use Snyder blanks, but not in this model.

It's a great rod, and though I've not had a chance to use it in anger, I'm really happy. If you're seriously interested, I've done the legwork and Northside Marine was by far the cheapest option.

Good luck,
    Mike