Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $400 - $500 Barra Rod! Why!

$400 - $500 Barra Rod! Why!

This is a serious question but I am curious about the need to spend $400-$500 on a custom rod, G-Loomis rod or other expensive brand rod for Barra fishing.

I can see the logic for buying an expensive reel, more ball bearings, stronger and smoother drag etc but I am wondering about the need to buy an expensive rod where there are plenty of 6-8, 6-10KG baitcaster rods around $100. I am very interested in hearing from anyone who has gone from a cheaper rod to a more expensive rod and feel that it is worth the money. Maybe they cast further, maybe feel the touches better.

Any comments welcome!

For the record, I currently own the following barra rods

- Shimano T-Curve 6-10Kg ($175)
    - Shimano Barra Raider 6-10Kg ($100)
    - Penn PinPoint Tournament 10Kg ($85)

cheers
    Raymond

Re: $400 - $500 Barra Rod! Why!

g,day ray
    i used a loomis 665 for a few years pulling the brutes out of the timber at faust and then started using the penn pinpoint rods for a fraction of the cost as you have stated . sure the 665 is a little lighter but i have no trouble casting with the penn all day and you dont grit your teeth as much if it cops a bit of rough and tumble whilst fighting the fish or if it falls over in the shed . heard a whisper that penn are bringing out a new range of higher quality rods at a budget price in the not to distant future , can't wait to try one.
    cheers swano

Hi Ray
    I think it`s just a personal thing really. You dont NEED anything better than what
    you have now.
    I recently had an old Butterworth JS9 rod stripped and rebuilt, and I got to say how long I wanted the foregrip and what colour bindings I wanted, etc.

I was very happy with the result, even though it cost me $275.00 and it fits me perfectly and performs beautifully. Some would put it away, but I believe in using
    the best first.

Reggy

i think it is the same as a kia or a BMW they will both get you to work, but one is just abit nicer to use.
    I have rods from $30 whiting to $800 trolling and the reason that I buy so dearer rod is that the are lighter, have a bit more feel, nicer to use and they just look good in the shed.
    If I dont spend the money my wife will......

G'Day Ray, I suppose there are a number of reasons for Blokes buying what is discribed as top of the range rods and Iam not going to speculate on that, IMH a Shimano Barra Magnum 10kg and a Penn Pin Point Tournament 56BC XXH 12kg, both these rods have the Penn Erskine Signature Series 2 Low Profile Baitcast Reels on board, At this point in time I see no reason to even consider upgrading this gear as I have no complaint. Having said all that if u don't have your terminal tackle on the money u might as well whistle Dixie, a big Barra will do ya, that is from the trihooks on the lure right through the leader and your knots to your main line, In my mind it,s all to do with catching that Barra of a life time, getting it too the boat asap photographing measuring and swimming it free, anyhow Ive gone on a bit, Im sure others will have their own opinions on the subject, Cheers Whitto

Own both a loomis and a penn pin point, big cost difference thats for sure.
    Love the loomis, light and responsive with plenty of grunt when needed, but the cheaper penn is a great stick to use, at a fraction of the price and I dont mind as much if I whack it into the side rail when Im flicking HB's
    Think it all comes down to how many toys you want.
    cheers
    Brian

I have both ..... Barra Raider, and a G-Loomis,,, which rod would i pick up first??? the G-Loomis any day.. why? because feels better in the hands, liter tip and it cast better.. the Barra Raider is better with much heaver lures.. O' and the G-Loomis (forcelite 10-17lb) was 250..

Noel
    Last edited by candogu; 22-02-2007 at 09:33 PM.

Gloomis aren't custom rods, They are high end factory rods that carry a custom rod price. A custom rod is built for the owner to his specs. eg hand size, required grip lengths etc etc. The difference between a custom rod is you have the choice or everything right down to the way it looks.

Hey Miles your rite there ! I guess Rayb is really commenting on spending 400-500 bucks on a Rod more specifically. A custom made Loomis would prob cost more than this depending on the blank of course!
    I guess its like someone else said like comparing a Holden and say a Jag is it worth 5 times the amount prob not - u pay a certain amount for the name - but for those who have used a Loomis u can really feel the quality in the lightness and the responsiveness of the Rod - some people are prepared to pay for this improvement and some arnt! I think its more critical in light fishing applications like fly fishing bass and bream fishing where equip weight and finesse is more in play !! my 2 bobs worth anyway

Cam

Thanks for all the replies so far. I guess that it seems that the cheaper rods will do the job but the more expensive rods will just do it better or at least the owners enjoy casting / fishing with them more.

I like the car analagy Cam, and if I am in the position to buy an expensive barra rod I might just do that although my existing gear will do just fine until then.

cheers
    Ray

Thumbs down Re: $400 - $500 Barra Rod! Why!

I have a Millerod , GL3 Loomis & Daiwa Procaster X that I use for Barra & while the expensive rods are a little nicer to use >>>>> I'm more than happy to cast & use the Daiwa all day......... Would I buy another Millerod or Loomis ? ..... Sh#t yeh .... if I have the cash ! Otherwise it would be a Shimano T curve at 30-50% of the cost NAGG
    PS ..... They all break just as easy as the next

Hey Nagg

did they break under normal use??

Cam

Up here at Awoonga l have seen all kinds of rods catch Barra...Most do the job...Like Cam said Kia...Bmw or even a ford...its a personal thing..What do l own ...Loomis GL3...Graphite USA....Samurai.. They all do the job...

I was under very much the same impression, I wanted to up grade rods from a sic stick. I near hated loomis as I could never beleive that a rod would be worth that
    type of money.

Now you would have to kill me to get it from me. All in All THE best purchase I
    have ever made....... Will may be 2nd best wife has to come in some where

Aj

Quote Originally Posted by cammac View Post
    Hey Nagg

did they break under normal use??

Cam
    Cam ...... What I've found is that the more expensive the rod the more fragile they are (higher modulus graphite) ..... To answer your question though .... Yes & no ..... Things like having a fish bolting under the boat & not reacting quick enough & the rod touches the gunnel ** PING ** or just dropping a rod against the gunnel , rods breaking in transit (even though they are in a rod tube) or wrapping the line around the tip during a cast ....... Also I have had a millerod explode during a fight Nowadays I'd rather buy 2 mid priced rods ($150-250) than one $450-600 job ....... NAGG