Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook Point Out Of Bounds To 4WD

Thumbs down Hook Point Out Of Bounds To 4WD

Courier mail Today

February 20, 2007 04:24pm

A STRETCH of Queensland's World Heritage listed Fraser Island will be closed to vehicles so families can escape "four-wheel drive madness".
    Queensland Environment Minister Lindy Nelson-Carr today confirmed 18km of Hook Point beach, at the southern tip of the island, would be closed to traffic, with the amount of area closed expected to be extended to 25km.

But vehicles will be able to use an alternative route.

Fraser Island, off Queensland's south-east coast, is the largest sand island in the world and is known as one of Australia's foremost four-wheel drive destinations.

In 2005, it was named one of the world's sexiest islands by the prestigious US business publication, Forbes magazine.

"We are doing this to make that section of beach available to families, so that they can appreciate that absolutely pristine part of the world without four-wheel drives racing down the beaches, which puts people with small children in a very unsafe position," Ms Nelson-Carr told State Parliament.

"We will close this section of the beach, knowing that there is another access route that will be upgraded regularly by QPWS (Queensland Parks and Wildlife Service) rangers and that this part of the world will be available to those who want to escape four-wheel drive madness."
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone is omnipotent."

Re: Hook Point Out Of Bounds To 4WD

Well it is a big Island so I guess we can spare a bit of it for families to enjoy without 4x4's. Having two young kids myself I always had to keep an extra eye out for the kids when out of the Pajero looking for pippies or just general sight seeing. Good on them for taking initiative. Now all they need to address is the amount of litter on the island. Was appauling last year. Not sure if I will be going this year which is normally my annual holiday.

Poodroo

How do families get to enjoy it if you can't access it? How close can you get to this 18km stretch without a 4wd? I've used the old bitumen road behind hook point (many moons ago) and I hope they are serious about upgrading and maintaining it or there will be many accidents to come. Maybe its already in a better state than the last time I saw it! I wonder if this decision will make taking a boat up to Waddy Point near on impossible?

Poodroo, many of the SEQ 4WD clubs target the litte problem each year. There were almost 1,000 of us (including kids) up there in about 350 vehicles over Australia Day wee- end for the annual 'Clean Up Fraser' week-end. Amazing amout of rubbish collected. Our club totally filled a 10 metre dump truck alone.

On Hook Point, I cannot fathom their reasoning. This is a very difficult part of the island to get to, apart from along the beach. If you can't drive along the beach how on earth is it availabe to families?

I would suggest that some tracks leading to the beach from the inland route will be available for the ' families ' to get to a campsite. But restricted 4wd access is for the beach only.

The Hook Point part of Fraser was becoming a problem anyway, with limited beach for driving at various stages of the tide.

I also believe this will not be the last of ' closures ' on Fraser Island.

If you go to Fraser, please don't leave your rubbish behind, obey the Dingo and road rules. The authorities are just looking for excuses to limit people and 4WD;s to this place.

It has been suggested in conversations I've had over the last few years, that NO, management or maintenance of the roads should be done. Thus letting them deterioate to a state where only the hardy and serious 4wd folk can travel. Thereby eliminating the need for legislation to curb numbers travelling there. This would also stop the softroaders going there.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Well I think they should build a six lane bitumen highway straight up the middle of it from one end to the other with tracks going down to the beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHunt View Post
    Well I think they should build a six lane bitumen highway straight up the middle of it from one end to the other with tracks going down to the beaches.

Nice you are an enviromental warrior with a very funny name.

Kev

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    I
    It has been suggested in conversations I've had over the last few years, that NO, management or maintenance of the roads should be done. Thus letting them deterioate to a state where only the hardy and serious 4wd folk can travel. Thereby eliminating the need for legislation to curb numbers travelling there. This would also stop the softroaders going there.

Cheers Phill
    Phill

Mate if they were to do that i would expect that some would flaunt the law and run the beach. Some people have told me that they will wear the fine instead of damaging their 4wd. Will wait and see what happens. I still think that this law is going to cause more damage and injuries to people and 4wds .

Regards
    Shane Boese
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone is omnipotent."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post

Cheers Phill
    Thank god you are not the one making decisions on what happens in our country...and on our islands. If no maintenance is done then the tracks would become accessible only to majorly modified 4wds...and with all the new legislation coming in in regards to modifications, these are a thing of the past!..I know because I own one.

So then what happens...the tracks become that bad...a serious accident occurs...and the legal proceedings begin!

But I do agree on another point...what is it with people buying 4wds and then still wanting nice flat easy tracks to drive...thats part of the enjoyment of owning a 4wd...testing its limits and so on. I see no reason why the cant close the beach as long as the inland track is kept to a satisfactory condition. I dont expect/nor want nice flat tracks when I go offroad, but some form of maintanance must be carried out!

Finally a spot has/will be made that families can relax on the beach without having to worry about the 'yobbo' element churning up the beach at ridiculous speeds...How can any parent be agains this idea?

Sitting on the beach and not having to worry about your child being struck by a yobbo 4wd...bring it on!

No matter what section of the beach is closed to 4wd traffic, there will always be objections for one reason or another.

As for "copping the fine and running the beach"...I think you will find that the fines will change a lot of peoples mind...dont count on it being a $50 fine. Be more likely a few hundred dollar fine. And if these people still dont want to take the inland track because of fear of hurting their 4wd, then what the F#*K are they doing offroad?

I can just see their mentality....I want to go offroad, but I dont want to hurt my vehicle! Stay on the black stuff then!
    Last edited by Leigh77; 24-02-2007 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh77 View Post

I see no reason why the cant close the beach as long as the inland track is kept to a satisfactory condition. I dont expect/nor want nice flat tracks when I go offroad, but some form of maintanance must be carried out!

Leigh77
    QPWS are to do the maintanance on the tracks but the trouble is that they dont it offen enough and this is going to be the problem. Will the track get the maintanance that is required. If so it should be a good drive thought the bush.

Regards
    Shane
    Last edited by Shane Boese; 24-02-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Boese View Post
    Leigh77
    QPWS are to do the maintanance on the tracks but the trouble is that they do it offen enough and this is going to be the problem. Will the track get the maintanance that is required. If so it should be a good drive thought the bush.

Regards
    Shane

I will take it as if you meant "dont do it enough"...otherwise you just contradicted yourself...but I got what you mean...I think!

If the beach itself is closed and the only option is the inland track then it 'should' get the attention it needs...probably doesnt know because, as said, alot of people prefer the beach run.

But something like that only time will tell...the QPWS probably have an idea of how much maintenance it will need, then will be suprised when they realise its not enough...with all traffic going through there I dare say it will need quite regular attention.

Maybe we could burry a few soft roaders to help harden the track up

Once again....only time will tell!
    Last edited by Leigh77; 24-02-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Leigh

Thanks mate missed that one and is all good now. Yes time will tell on this one heading up for the toyota comp can see it being a mess after you get all that traffic going up over two or three day plus all the trucks taking all the gear that is required. Will let you know how we go.

Regards
    Shane

Leigh77

Thank god you are not the one making decisions on what happens in our country...and on our islands. If no maintenance is done then the tracks would become accessible only to majorly modified 4wds...and with all the new legislation coming in in regards to modifications, these are a thing of the past!..I know because I own one.
    Not too sure what you mean here, as I said in my post, I was in conversations where it was suggested...... etc etc.. I never said it was my opinion. Just putting forward what I have heard others say. Pays to read posts carefully.

cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

I'm heading up this weekend, so I'll post a condition report when I get back. Last time I used the track,(about a year ago) we had to drive off the track in certain places to go around pot holes. That was in a lifted cruiser. I guess my concern is that if the track, as suggested, is let go, then people will start to make it wider and wider. I love offroading, I love fraser, but I am not going to risk getting hung up or stuck in a hole on the only access track onto the island. For 2 reasons. Don't want to damage my vehicle for no reason, nor block the track with a ferry load of cars behind me.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by flick View Post
    I'm heading up this weekend, so I'll post a condition report when I get back. Last time I used the track,(about a year ago) we had to drive off the track in certain places to go around pot holes. That was in a lifted cruiser. I guess my concern is that if the track, as suggested, is let go, then people will start to make it wider and wider. I love offroading, I love fraser, but I am not going to risk getting hung up or stuck in a hole on the only access track onto the island. For 2 reasons. Don't want to damage my vehicle for no reason, nor block the track with a ferry load of cars behind me.

Jim
    Jim
    If possiable could you get some pics of the track.

Regards
    Shane