Thread: 1998 offshore merc ??

1998 offshore merc ??

Hi all,
    I am looking at a boat at the moment with a 150 merc offshore 1998 on it with 125 hrs. Boat and motor are in excellent nick. I think it is a carby model? Anyone have one or know about them? I have been told they smoke a bit. Are they a good motor? I know little about them. I have not seen that many merc offshores around my area.
    Help appreciated
    Wayne

Re: 1998 offshore merc ??

Hi Wayne...I just recently purchased a 98 Offshore V6 200...EFI....you sure the 150 is not EFI....as for smoke...the mercury seems better than my previous v6 200 96 Yammie....As for being a good motor..well i have only done 20 hrs with it so i wont comment as yet....but pro fisherman who used them tell me they were quite reliable.....Cheers Mick

Hi Wayne

I have a 225 EFI offshore merc, never have had any big problems (just user error ones), it can get a bit smokey at times but i find the type of oil used really makes a difference with how smokey and it is not all the time.
    I have about 600 hours on mine, it has a service once a year and to date has been all good (touchwood).

geoff

Ive got a 1995 150hp mariner that is a 2lt.
    I think your model would be the 2.5 lt fuel injected. There was also a 2.5 lt 140hp carb model for that year, I think.
    Both are good bullet proof motors that are under stressed on a fishing boat. The injected motors are generally smoother, less smoke and better on fuel.
    They are one of the motors of choice for more grunt in the ski, racing, bass boat field. Have a look at screem and fly web site in the usa.
    Mine now has about 350 hours on it without major problems. Is quite compact for the hp, runs well and for a carb 2stk and gives reasonable fuel ecconomy at up to 1.4 klm/lt on a cruise craft 580 outsider that weighs about 1400kg.
    With cruise at 4000rpm I'm sitting on 46kph and WOT 5700rpm gives me 70kph.
    PM me if you want more info.
    Cheers Mark

We had the 97 offshore 200hp, Run perfect except for the excessive fuel consumption. At 550 hrs started getting problems with what we thought was the high end stater. This was later deemed to be the wrong plugs and also holes in the thermostat. (The holes in the thermostat caused alot of smoke and lead to beleive the cause of the high fuel usage)

By the time it hit 590hrs shed died right in the mouth of the southport seaway.

Aj

Hi guys
    Thanks for the replies. My brother checked out the boat and motor today. He said it is a carby model. It and the boat are in showroom condition accept some one has washed the motor with scour pad or similar and left light scratches all over it. He thinks they would probably buff out ok.
    Probably go for it.

Hey mick, when you said the pro's used them and were reliable were you talking of the 150s or 175-200? I read a thread a few weeks ago about your reasons for buying your 200 based on what the pro's use down there.

Thanks again fellas for the replies
    Regards wayne