Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could sunblock affect your catch rate?

Could sunblock affect your catch rate?

Hey there fellow Ausfish members, we all have gone out and enjoyed a day out fishing but it comes with responsibility to ones self and the kids if you take them along to make sure we remain sun smart and do the slip slop slap thing to avoid getting severely sunburned. Now what I have often wondered is if you slop the old suntan lotion on and get it all over your hands as we do would it affect the way the fish bite? Can they taste it on the bait? If so do they shy away from it? What are your thoughts? Some of those suntan lotions go on pretty thick and it seems that regardless of how much I try to wipe it off the smell remains as a lot of them are waterproof.

Regards,

Poodroo

Re: Could sunblock affect your catch rate?

Hey Poodroo

Often wondered this myself and i reckon it would put them off, only solution i have ever come up with is to get mum to put it on so it doesnt get on my hands.

Dam right it does. I all ways fill the boat the night before so as not to have petrol on my hands. As for sun block i use a home made block from oil and vinegar.

Regards
    Shane Boese
    Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent genius will not; un-rewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone is omnipotent."

I believe they have a very high sense of smell , rub a bit of the missus perfume on your hands , mine has it all over her and seems to catch more than me!
    Gold Coast , Queensland. Paradise!

Quote Originally Posted by Shane Boese View Post
    Dam right it does. I all ways fill the boat the night before so as not to have petrol on my hands. As for sun block i use a home made block from oil and vinegar.

Regards
    Shane Boese

A home made sunblock? Does it give good protection Shane? You have my interest.

Poodroo

I'll take the 'no fish and no cancer' option thanks But it's food for thought....

do fish have a sense of smell and taste ????
    I reakon the only problem would be getting it in your eyes so that you cannot see as you fish

buy some aniseed soap to wash hands with after putting on the sunblock.
    Cheers Ian

Andrew
    The ol' uncle and i never ever wear sunblock. It definately effects your catch rate, we just slip and slap and miss out on the slop. Seriously I reckon in 20 years we will have someone claiming that they have some sort of disease from all the cream that they put on over the years. Put on a really good hat and a long sleeved shirt and you will be ok.
    Cheers
    Ben

Well Pinhead I guess fish can taste and smell sort of but personally I find nothing attractive about the smell of SP's yet the fish seem to like them. I have always thought that even the slightest hint of smell on the hands from sunblock would have to be a fish deterent. Up until Iank's suggestion on using the aniseed soap I have been very apprehensive about using soaps fearing they could polute the water but the aniseed soap might be the go maybe?

Ben if you have seen the photos when I go fishing I usually do wear a hat, long sleeved shirt etc but I always seem to burn on the face and ears if I don't use a sunblock. I thought this might be a good way to get ideas on how not to burn and not lessen my chances of catching fish. Keep the ideas coming.

Regards,

Poodroo
    Last edited by Poodroo; 19-02-2007 at 07:33 PM.

Hey Poodroo,

The last time you and I went out, you and Brian were the only ones that used Sunblock.

Now I ask you. " Does Sunblock affect your catch rate?"

Frank OO

Quote Originally Posted by eotbmg View Post
    Put on a really good hat and a long sleeved shirt and you will be ok.
    Cheers
    Ben
    And although they look Poofy- some fingerless gloves.

Frank OO

Nothing wrong about fingerless gloves. Always wear them out in the boat.

A few years down the track, you'd get more strange looks from missing bits due to cancer.

Luc

Quote Originally Posted by Frank OO View Post
    Hey Poodroo,

The last time you and I went out, you and Brian were the only ones that used Sunblock.

Now I ask you. " Does Sunblock affect your catch rate?"

Frank OO
    G'day Frank OO and welcome back from your trip away. Now that is a tough question. I'd like to think that the results from our last trip were because of technique and insuperior gear. But possibly the sunblock may have also contributed to it. I am going to buy a dicky sombrero and look stupid next time and try without sunblock.

Poodroo

Ah Frankoo,

I am still looking for excuses why I didn't catch fish like you did, a noble gesture indeed to try and help me. But whenever I apply the screen, I try and use the back of my hands and knuckles to smear it over my face and parts of skin not covered by LS shirt and hat.

Whenever I am not doing an overnighter ( like at your place so we can get up early without the drive over) I put the suncream on as I get out of the pyjamas and into my fishing clothes - then wash my hands thoroughly. I'll give you a hint Poodroo, this method is far better than waiting till you start noticing the Sun is getting a little savage before putting the screen on

Scalem