Thread: Bonefish in CQ

Bonefish in CQ

Has anyone caught any bonefish in CQ mainly around the Gladstone area. I caught 6 of them at last years Boyne Tannum Hookup and was just wondering if anyone else has caught any in the area.

I caught 6 babies around 25cm each in the space of about an hour. I caught them in approx 3 metres of water around Ethel Rocks on sandworms while chasing whiting and bream at night. It was the first time that I fished around that area due to the 25 Knot S/E that blew all comp. Never got any bream or whiting either!!!! The crew with me didn't understand all of the fuss that I was making about the funny looking silver whiting.

Wazza

Re: Bonefish in CQ

I think bonefish are more common then most people realise though I don't believe most people actually know what they are (usually called for a whiting). Flyfishermen certainly go ga-ga over them but for the mainstream public that catch fish, well, it's generally just dinner.

A couple were weighed in at a light gear fishing comp during the early eighties, they came from the 'Yellowpatch " area down Gladdy way. I have also heard of them from Freshwater Bay in the Shoalwater Bay training area but can't remember the details !!!

Yeah Spot on Leeann, i was driving down the ocean beach on Moreton Island a few years ago when a bloke waved me down. He was very excited and said whats the biggest whiting you have ever seen? I said just over 2 pounds and he said i can beat that , he then produced this fish that i estimated to be around 7 or 7 1/2 pounds, i said it would be a good whiting if it was one and then informed him that it was in fact a bone fish.
    I am told that a reasonable number are caught on Moreton at times.

Cheers,
    Obi_Wan

i have caught 1 at teewah about 5 years ago and at first i thought it was a whiting but then figured out it was a bonefish

cheers dave

Bonefish hey!

Geez, imagine teh fishery we could all have, FLY , SPORT, whatever if we could just stop the mass netting of our bays, flats and estuaries.

As an example have a look at Botany Bay now.

Pete