Thread: Battery life using Engel Fridge

Battery life using Engel Fridge

Normally when I use my 40litre Engel fridge in my landcrusier I use my deep cycle battery however after 7 years of use that has finally given up the ghost and I was wondering if it would be OK to use the normal battery for my next trip.

All I will be doing is keeping food frozen during a trip up to Mackay and back (from the sunshine coast) - it won't be plugged into the battery for any length of time with the engine not running so am I right in assuming it will not run the battery down?

Probably a silly question but wanted to be sure.

Thanks

Mike

Re: Battery life using Engel Fridge

Mike, your Engel will draw between 2 and 4 amps when compressor is running. Ambient temp will largely determine how often and long compressor runs. I'm guessing, but I would reckon you could safely run your fridge compressor for at least 4 hours without too much trouble. If it's not too hot and you park in the shade when possible, that should give you at least 6 or 8 hours of elapsed time without running battery down too far (provided it is in good condition and fully charged each time you switch motor off). For overnight, you would probably be OK to unplug fridge just before going to bed and switching back on first thing in the morning.

I have one of those ol' el cheapo "coolers' in my work van.
    I run it off the one and only battery. It draws about 4 amps.
    After 3 hours the van still starts instantly with no noticeable loss in cranking power.
    In my patrol I have a low voltage cutout box (kit from Jaycar). This little box lets you set the voltage that power to the fridge (or whatever) is interupted, hence preventing a flat battery.

Thanks guys - I thought it would be fine but thought it wise to check.