Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Shamatures.

Re: Shamatures.

The day they forced me, a recreational angler who has taken not one red cent for a fish ever, to police the blackmarket for their unpaid tax or be fined is the day they closed my eye's and ears for as long as I can be crimalised.
    No I wouldn't dob anyone in.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by Darren_hokes View Post
    Can someone tell me how people dole bludging afford boats to catch enough fish to sell? Is there any fact in this or just a shot at those less fortunate, I hope not. I dont own a boat but my mates boat costs us 120 dollars a trip just in petrol and its a small boat, you would have to catch a lot of fish to break even?
    Sorry Darren,

It happens, often. Think about it, you live at home, don't pay rent, get a labouring job with a builder or anyone for that matter, on and off for a couple of years, doesn't take too long to get a boat up and running.

A few years ago I knew quite a few who did it, as far as they were concerned it beat working.

I don't know what you call a small boat.

Mine is 4.74 with a 70 johnson, and a day costs me around $50. If I up dated the motor it would probably cost me a bit less in fuel.

I would class my boat as small.

r.
    Last edited by roz; 19-02-2007 at 04:02 PM.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Hi Noelm
    Where I coming from is simply that Fisheries are placing thousands of juvenile mulloway into the estuaries as part of a re stocking programme for Rec fishos.It is a shame to see these fish caught in nets by the pros but I can live with that. Its the guys that work for a living (not fishing) and then get out on the water most nights to catch and then sell these fish that I dont like.
    The fees paid into NSW Fisheries programmes allow this stocking and I guess the guys fishing every night will probably say like me that they pay for the privledge.
    Do you think its reasonable to assist the catch rates of these guys.

Wally

Quote Originally Posted by P-ROCK View Post
    Im Australian..........I dont DOB!
    Don't flatter yourself P-ROCK.

You are infact an Australian who either...

Doesn't care, is too lazy, You don't mind bludgers taking the income away from people like Pete & Foxy, you are perhaps a shamature, you like greedy people, or you simply havn't got past the school yard mentality or a 10 year old.

I think you are very un Australian.

FNQCairns,

Would you dob in a thief? If not, IMO you are no better than the thief. That's exactly what blackmarket fishing is... stealing.

If you saw someone steal a car.... I know that's drawing a broard bow.

roz.
    Last edited by Lucky_Phill; 19-02-2007 at 07:45 PM.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

P_ROCK...when several blokes are beating the crap out of you or someone breaks into your home and flogs everything...just remember that when the police asks if anyone knows anything...that we are Aussies...we don't dob....I thought being an Aussie was helping out your mates..and if that means reporting criminals then I will gladly do it...maybe you don't work or pay taxes...or as Roz said..you are catching fish and selling them.

If one takes the time to read our ( Australian ) constitution ( laws ), it is in fact a criminal offence when :-

You hold knowledge of a criminal act and fail to report that offence.

To dob someone in for personal gain is un-Australian, to dob in a criminal is Australian.

Cheers phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Hey Roz,

I agree and disagree with some of your remarks, I am a commercial line fisherman working out of South East Queensland and dislike shamateurs but my main problems selling fish come from competitive imports mainly from New Zealand. I definitely do not like wholesale slaughter by amateurs in general but when they sell their catch it makes my competition on sale and price that much harder, but when it comes to dobbing I don't agree. I tend to confront and sort matters out myself. I don't like to dob people in or backstab, I consider that as just a low act although not all people have the gumption to do so I'm sure they know someone who would. I have always found there to be a far better way then to involve authorities, a lot of laws shouldn't be there anyway. I'm not just talking fisheries, police, whatever it may be. I had a run in with the council one time over putting bait and guts in a boat ramp bin. I'd been dobbed in by an old couple across the road and found out I was well within my rights as the rubbish was generated at the park ramp, but if the old couple had come over and asked I would have listened. I understand this is different but it's the same principle. Don't dob unless you want the favour returned. Dirt tends to stick even if you haven't done anything wrong.

Just my opinion Roz.

Samson

Quote Originally Posted by samson View Post
    Hey Roz,

I agree and disagree with some of your remarks, I am a commercial line fisherman working out of South East Queensland and dislike shamateurs but my main problems selling fish come from competitive imports mainly from New Zealand. I definitely do not like wholesale slaughter by amateurs in general but when they sell their catch it makes my competition on sale and price that much harder, but when it comes to dobbing I don't agree. I tend to confront and sort matters out myself. I don't like to dob people in or backstab, I consider that as just a low act although not all people have the gumption to do so I'm sure they know someone who would. I have always found there to be a far better way then to involve authorities, a lot of laws shouldn't be there anyway. I'm not just talking fisheries, police, whatever it may be. I had a run in with the council one time over putting bait and guts in a boat ramp bin. I'd been dobbed in by an old couple across the road and found out I was well within my rights as the rubbish was generated at the park ramp, but if the old couple had come over and asked I would have listened. I understand this is different but it's the same principle. Don't dob unless you want the favour returned. Dirt tends to stick even if you haven't done anything wrong.

Just my opinion Roz.

Samson
    Hi Samson,

As I've already stated in another thread, line Pros imo do the least damage to fish stocks, but that is not the point of this post. I agree with you, it would have been nicer, had those people approached you first.

But do you honestly think asking the bloke who has a boat load of fish, he intends to sell at the back door of the local co-op or pub, is going to stop simply because you ask him to......nicely, or other wise???? Bet I know the answer to that.

cheers r.
    GO THE CRUISER UTES!

....OH WHAT A FEELING!

Hey Roz a lot of things tend to happen at the back of pubs and co ops a little gentle pursuasion tends to work, but when some people don't bend they tend to break and they don't fill to many boats when broken, mind you i see where your coming from and its great to have support from people such as yourself.

Cheers Samson

advocating or committing voilence dosnt solve problems, history show this to be the case.
    cheers
    blaze

Roz............You wouldn't understand...................its a male thing.

Quote Originally Posted by blaze View Post
    advocating or committing voilence dosnt solve problems, history show this to be the case.
    cheers
    blaze
    Blaze, how can you possibly repeat a cliche like that? Mankinds history is crammed full of violence. Wars and murder. It is a part of life and has been since the beginning of time. I am not advocating violence, but one the other hand, that statement has no basis in fact.

Roz, good post and I support what you have been saying. Samson also made a good point.

I was once offered by a former mate to sell some fish. Very tempting, but I am glad for the sake of my pride and conscience that I did not. I would have no qualms about dobbing someone in if I could produce proof that they were selling their catch as an amateur. Of course, if it was someone I knew I would probably say something first (I did not in the case above, but then I had no proof).

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Hi Jeremy
    Show me one case in history that violence has solved a problem without create another problem and a counter reaction of more violence. I have no doubt like you say its part of life, that dosnt make it right.
    cheers
    blaze

Blaze,

good point, it would be much harder to find examples of cases where violence does not result in more problems. I am certain there must be a few and could name a few examples. We could probably go back and forth for a while debating specific cases, but no point really.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

Hey Blaze your some what correct but not every situation is peaches and cream, people can be warned, spooked and threatened with or without violence its no difference to what authorities would do they just have a badge to back them up which they presume makes it right

I recall another problem i had one time with a so called do gooder where i came in with two 7to 8 foot whaler sharks before i knew it the news had been called by some one saying i had killed two grey nurse sharks to add some spice they called fisheries aswell the whole circus was there trying to railroad me it wasn't till fisheries arrived that the news crews changed their opinion on me, once they new they were just whalers they wanted to make out to be some hero not the villian they first thought i told them to piss off and took them to the shop where they should have been an hour earlier, but didn't stop them using the footage on the news afew nights later lucky they got their facts right or there may have been trouble.

Just goes to showget your facts straight or keep your mouth shut simple as that.

Cheers Samson