Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Shamatures.

Re: Shamatures.

Quote Originally Posted by roz View Post
    HEY PINHEAD,

I KNOW WHERE YOU GET YOUR WARM AND FUZZY FEELING.

and it's called GREEN GINGER WINE

LOL...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..nectar of the Gods

Don't mind topping a beer with the "ginger"

Don't really get to sell my catch. I will offer my neighbour a fish or two, they always offer $ for it and I knock it back.

Mind you they have recipricated the offer with a bottle of home brew I feel they would be offended if I didn't take up the offer

I am surprised at the majority of the general public who don't seem to be aware of the fact that it is illegal to sell fish as an amateur.

They are always surprised when I correct them after telling me that I could sell my fish. They are also the same people that still think the ocean is a never ending supply of free protein.

I don't care too much about the odd legal fish once in a while exchanging hands (for example - i park my boat in my neighbour's carpark as I have nowhere to keep it and since she is an old lady on a pension, I try to return the favour and give her a nice whiting or tailor every now & then. Heck I even fillet them on her kitchen bench and take away the scraps, she always raves about how good it tastes)

The guys that annoy me are the ones that go out with the intention of catching as much as possible and can't stop at a couple of 30lb cobia or a few 5 kilo macks, they've just gotta keep catching right past the bag limit (at least spotties are only 5 fish now) and then take out mates who don't eat fish just so they can add that bag limit to the take and then sell the whole lot!

Mick.

You will never elliminate those that fish for profit reasons only, when Fisheries (Officers) are severally undermanned.
    There are sections of our coast line, where profitieers both Rec's and Pro's can run rampant without detection.
    But you dont have to look that far, when it is happening in our own back yard, and its possible that both you and I no someone who overfishes wether on Government support or not.
    Paying a fellow fisho to help him offset his costs, has nothing or is not in the same catergory as Roz's so called Shamatures.
    You will never elliminate the Rats in our Society until we supply more Cats.
    All Pro's are given a quota, if they feel they cannot meet that quota, they can lease part of their quota to another Pro's with the same Licence.
    As far as I am concerned there are many Licences where their quotas have not or never been reached for years, or some issued that lay dormanant and never used, this are the ones that should be reciended.
    Why should the govt buy back any of these licences when the licencee has not even tried to reach or work for what he is supposely issued the licence for.
    If fisheries imposed either larger sizes or smaller limits, (yes there are a lot of species that do need immediate attention.) i can bet there would be a lot of objections from a majority on this site (re fuel costs etc fishing these days), so that leaves us with a catch 22, where fisheries are either loved or hated for trying to prolong the life of most species.
    Its human nature as we are the most profilic killers on this planet, and we have all at some stage or another gone out on killing sprees, and their wouldnt again be too many on this site that havent done this at some stage of their life.
    So how do we stop the greedy or profiteers or illiminate our killer instincts, maybe a world wide brain wash is about your only solution.
    regards

Good topic Roz, and most here have touched on some part of the questions posed.

The two most important issues to me are the “ live at home dole bludgers “ and the “ would I dob in the mate/ neighbour ‘ ?

I can only speak of my experience in that I do know fishermen who deliberately catch more than bag limits ( when the fish are on ) and have a ready cash market to offload said fish. I am not talking about a few kilos, as the last time I heard about the efforts of this person, a cash return of $800 was mentioned. This was for two people and they returned to the boat ramp just after dark, knowing the DPI&F have insufficient funds to do after hours patrols. Like Webby says, we need more Cats to catch the Rats. So, do I dob in this bloke ? For a start, I believe that the DPF&I are already aware of these happenings, and furthermore, they have to catch them in the act. I also know the person that the fish are sold to, and that person offloads the fish to a fresh fish outlet in Brisbane. I have seen first hand, a person taking a 60ltr esky full of Summer Whiting into an upmarket Brisbane restaurant and come out with a wad of $’s. I also know of a couple of people in a “ professional “ fishing industry sector, that continually exceed their bag limits ( as an amateur ) and sell the catch. All the people I mentioned above have full time jobs and are just topping up their cash reserves, despite bag limits, despite knowing the law, despite the threat of being caught and despite the talking to and head shaking by me and others. Now, I don’t want to see these people lose their cars, boats etc, ( although this is what it will take for them to realize the severity of their activities ) but I want them to stop, not for the sake of them making the dollars on the side, but to put to rest, the holier than thou attitude. Until they are caught, they will continue to enjoy a good cashflow from their illegal and immoral activities. If they get caught and ignore the penalty and continue in their ways, let the full force of the law be brought down upon their heads.

As for the ‘ LAHDB’s “ in our midst, I can only say that if all the time and effort you put into fishing for cash profit were to be re-directed into an education or career or life goal, you may well find that the road you are currently taking will seem short and hazardous. It is very easy to work out how you survive, with certain information being revealed into the public arena with monotonous regularity. Do yourself a favour.

It’s a funny situation, the end , non-fishing, consumer gets a feed of fresh fish, the retailer makes a profit, the wholesaler/ middleman makes a profit, the immoral fisherman makes a profit. Seems like a win / win situation, but as we all know it isn’t. There is a playing field that is provided for us and 99% of us play the game the way it should be played. We will never stamp out the ‘ rats ‘ in our community, but I think we should try to reduce them to a slimey, shameful minority. The DPI&F are there to manage the fishery with what funds and intelligence ( information ) they have available. That must include information passed on by the public. So, if I know of a situation that is happening in real time, YES, I will dob in the mate/ neighbour for a deliberate abuse of the rules for profit. The most important issue here is ‘ intent “. For example, as mentioned in the original post, the old chappie next door sells a couple of bream. He has been out and only caught a few with NO INTENTION of catching fish for profit. But, he finds himself in a situation where the old pensioner lady next door to him, offers him a fiver for some fresh fish.. He knows it’ll cost her 3 times that at the fish shop, not including the effort to get there in the first place. She refuses to take fish without payment and he refuses payment. He knows she wants the fish, he knows he can get a few more tomorrow for himself. A dilemma ! Does he take the cash as to appease and not insult the old lady, or does he stand his ground and in the end she has nothing ? Some people in our community are way too proud to accept something for nothing. With a bit of guile, the old man can persuade the old lady to accept the fish as a gift Everyone wins. The problem arises when a fisherman goes out seeking to bagout and over, knowing that a reward will be waiting on his return. The INTENT is clear and thus a difference does exist. Having said all that, no fish / fillets should be exchanged for cash by amateurs. A barter, favour thing can happen, but only without prior knowledge of the offer and never with illegal fish.

Pinhead is on the money here, just to see the smile on ya neighbours face when you hand over a couple of fillets or invite them round for a seafood nosh-up, does make one feel good. That is a reward. Money cannot buy that !

Further, I don’t think it is fair to have Green Ginger Wine on the boat when you are fishing, it is the exact opposite to having bananas on the boat.

Cheers Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Further, I don’t think it is fair to have Green Ginger Wine on the boat when you are fishing, it is the exact opposite to having bananas on the boat.

Is that true Phill??? damn i'd better get a coupla bottles and stick 'em in the boat

Geez , i can't even catch enough fish to feed my own family let alone enough to sell

cheers
    Jason.
    ... i only work to support my fishing addiction.....

Phill totaly agree with the situation at the moment

However with the flooding of imported fish at our local fishmoger store, the temptation to offer "Fresh Fish" and localaly caught may well outweight the consequences of being caught ?

We export Coral Trout to Japan and it's a very lucrartive trade I have had a few chats with Pro trout catchers when staying at Swains reef and there quota to bring on board (the mothership) is ridiculas.

The cost of seafood will go through the roof (If not already) and as an amature fisho it does beg the question would you part with a prime slab of locally caught, fresh fish for the right price.............. ???????????????????????
    Last edited by Black_Rat; 18-02-2007 at 08:35 PM.

Gelsec I have to argee about the whiting /other fish species
    removal pectrol fin or doing some about it becuase the grey nomad army are taking fish back south and selling them

Black Rat yeah what all the dead coral trout that go's over the side dead doen't even reach the domestic market and us Austrailan's have to eat the imported cat fish

I know a certain person does more fishing than anyone in the area and be gone easily 4 to 5 times a week stills go when blowing over 20 knts and you can't tell me fishing for fun I know right into the black market trade but you have to be very careful when going to report to the enforcement agency's I know he will eventually get caught

I know one costal area where the pro's can't sell the fish they catch because the black market is running to well but enforcement agency's are under staff can't really deal with the matter
    lucky phil well said there I couldn't say any better
    Mitch
    In life, start off wrong and you'll finish wrong. Put just one skeleton in the closet and you'll have to put another one in to hide the first, and so it goes.
    But start off right and you'll finish right. There's no comeback when you stick to the truth - and no skeletons!

Darren_hokes

Can someone tell me how people dole bludging afford boats to catch enough fish to sell? Is there any fact in this or just a shot at those less fortunate, I hope not. I dont own a boat but my mates boat costs us 120 dollars a trip just in petrol and its a small boat, you would have to catch a lot of fish to break even?
    Last edited by Darren_hokes; 19-02-2007 at 12:31 AM.

Hi Roz
    Never thought I would be saying this but ,
    In NSW we have the Pro buy back system to assist in fisheries management and in addition we have fish stocking programmes all as result of your and mine license fees.
    These guys that are now doing what we used to, going every night and filling up to sell.Are actually catching OUR FISH put there for our rec use.
    Of cause I am talking about the mulloway programme currently happening in the estuaries around NSW.
    It will only be a short time that will apply to most fish.

Wally

Hey Roz you want to buy some FISH[cheap]
    $30 a kilo for parrot
    $2 a kilo forsnappa
    $3 a kilo for pearlies
    flathead 3 for a $--this weeks special.....

add 10% gst plus freight if not local
    Last edited by -spiro-; 19-02-2007 at 10:17 AM.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

chris
    finding things a bit tough
    can u help me out

pete

Talking Re: Shamatures.

Sorry Roz just a lite hearted joke ..........but
    do you concider swapping a fish for a crab a no no to ?

And to all the others that are stirred up about previous post above it's a laugh/joke i don't condone selling the catch unless you are going tender or workink for a pro and he is the one selling them.......legaly
    Last edited by -spiro-; 19-02-2007 at 10:19 AM.
    planning the next onslaught 6.5m Profish
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Im Australian..........I dont DOB!

hey indulgence, how did you work out that they are OUR FISH??? are they not for everyone? pro included? maybe you should suggest a law that prevents pro's from catching YOUR fish!