Thread: Family Tradition

Family Tradition

Took my boy Jules (3 yrs) for a fish this arvo. He got a new rod for Christmas and in the last couple of weeks has got real keen about learning to cast it properly - and pretty good at it - so he jumped at the opportunity to go down our local creek to harass some bass. We had 45 minutes before tea was going to be on the table so we hopped to it.

I had small soft plastics left on the rods from the weekend (chasing bream and flatties at the estuary) and though bugger it I'll use these instead of my standard fare -spinnerbaits. Bugger me a couple of casts and I'm hooked up to a 49cm bass - went like the clappers on a light spin stick - so while I'm landing it Jules gets into his casting and comes up solid on a little bass on his little ~3ft ugly stick / closed faced daiwa reel rig.

He was pretty chuffed especially considering both dad and big sister didn't get their first fish on lure until 4 yrs of age (see mug shots below). Now the challenge is to get him up to NQ to catch a barra before he's four and then he can completely claim to have trumped dad!

We got one more bass before tea and were home on time! Also got a nice little eastern cod (56cm) near the same hole last week - an old mate who I,ve previously caught in 2004 - he'd only grown 4cm since then.

Could have worst back yards!! Tight lines - Jim
    'Stick to fishing instead of fighting' - JC

Re: Family Tradition

Nicely done! Years from now, he'll be passing on the fishing bug to his kids.
    "When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.-- Mark Twain"

jim you must have one of the best back yards around, great piccys hey your young fella doesnt look much like you does he.....lol. nice fish and great to see the kids keen fishers. my young fella has just turned 4 and has caught a few species on lures from bass, cod, to gar just love the look on there faces when they land that fish, its worth a million. cheers bdowdy

Good stuff!!
    My little fella's only ten months ,I can't wait to see him catch his first fish.
    wamjam