Thread: Which 4.8 metre fibreglass with 1/2 cabin

Which 4.8 metre fibreglass with 1/2 cabin

I'm looking to buy a second hand, 4.8 metre (16foot), 1/2 cabin, fibreglass speedboat.
    It will be used almost exclusively for fishing in Moreton Bay.
    I haven't decided on any particular brand or model yet and would like some input from you blokes who own such a boat, as to what brand and so on I should be looking for that will handle Moreton Bay conditions.
    Thanks in advance for any information or advice you can give me fellas.

GES
    Last edited by GES; 19-02-2007 at 12:21 AM.

Re: Which 4.8 metre fibreglass with 1/2 cabin

Hey There GES

mate i have just recently bought myself a NOVA 4.7 half cabin with a 70 evinrude its a little bit old but in excellent condition but anyway im more then happy with it i had it out in the bay once for a run and well the weather has stopped everyone going out there at the moment but had it down the pin on sunday right near the bar in less then favourable conditons and it handled it fine hope the helps mate

Cheers

Mark

G'day mate, you dont say what sort of $ you are looking to spend which will have a fair impact on what you will be looking at. I personally have a 493F Signature and for the bay it is excellent. Very smoooth ride and not too bad on fuel with a 90hp Merc. You still need to remember they are a 16ft boat and plan your trips according to the weather but for me its a great size and can be handled one up no problems at all.

Cheers and Beers
    Scott
    Last edited by Argle; 19-02-2007 at 09:49 AM. Reason: cant spell proper
    "Mystique" Haines Signature 580BR with 175 of Mr Suzuki's finest ponies

I'm with Argle on that one, I've got a 492f and would hang onto it if fishing in the bay was my main use.

A 90 gives it enough oomph to heave my carcase out of the water on a wakeboard, the cabin is just a bit small for the overnighting that we want to do. I reckon it says something if the boat is still in production after 15 years.

Gee the 492F-493F are popular, I too have a 492F and mainly use it in Botany Bay which can get nasty at time. I've had the odd break over the bow and it handled like a dream.

They are a great all rounder, I use it about 75% fishing but then take the kids skying/tubing/beaching and it works great as a day boat. The young fella usually sleeps in the cab if your out all day.

Have a look at my specs page on my 492F, if you need a copy of any write up's I can scan you a copy.

http://www.users.on.net/~apmoon/signature.html

Last edited by impulse492f; 19-02-2007 at 03:58 PM.

Yep I have a 492F limited editition as well with a Suzuki DT 85 Hp on it, goes like a scolded cat.
    Had the bow and half way up the wind screen under a wave, didn't phase it didn't even loose momentum.

But your going to pay for them mine cost me $16700 6 years ago with every thing on it rocket launcher Gps you name it she has it on it, and only 120 Hours.

Now you be lucky to get a rough one for around 18K.
    Only draw back I don't find it wide enough, and they hang arse low at rest.

But the good thing is they fit in me garage (just) and are worth more than you pay for them, if you get it at the right price to start with.

Other thing is there just under weight no brakes required.
    Well should have brakes but they don't really need them legally.

Thanks for the replies and the photos fellas. Boy there are some nice looking rigs in those pics. food for thought indeed.
    Thanks again.
    GES

Cruise Craft Regal 4.7m version is also a nice glass cabin boat, good quality but a bit hard to find.

GES, are you tired of your tinny? You must be getting a pension to upgrade, now that you are old! Say g'day to Kath for me. I'm heading your way permanently soon. Cheers Pete.

Mate
    About 12 months ago I retired the tinnie and bought a Coxcraft rumrunner,(1989) I Love it, they were made by I think John Cox who was the lead designer for haines and went out on his own, they are a bit hard to find and run from $9000 to 18,000 depends who you buy off they are a tough and great all round boat mine has a 90 hp johnson and I can tow the kids on tubes and skis etc no trouble it has been great in the lake and outside, it has nice high side (the kids dont fall out) handle pretty good, put on a hydrofoil and it goes great.